Author Topic: Oculus VR's Acquisition by Facebook.  (Read 4490 times)

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
Oculus VR's Acquisition by Facebook.
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:16:50 pm »
So, it appears Sony's likely getting the VR gaming market on a silver platter with their Project Morpheus, as Facebook acquired Oculus VR for $2 billion. Also, it looks like the plans for a Oculus Rift version of Minecraft are canceled. So, what're you guys' opinions?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:34:28 pm by macmacnick »

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Oculus VR's Acquisition by Facebook.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:29:19 pm »
I came up with a brilliant idea the other day in relation to this one.
So, the VR idea is great. But what if I want to lie down on my couch while I play a game? What if I want to play socially in groups or teams? My friends would need to see what I was doing in-game for that to work. To that end, I came up with a very forward-thinking and cheap solution.

Screens.

:P

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:09:15 pm »
You'll be able to sit on your couch with a hand in your pants easier using VR than using M$'s Kinect crap. Really I just love that we got VR coming back and actually kicking ass.

M$ bet the farm on Kinect but the tech was never anything other than a gimmick and a niche product. Nintendo did motion stuff with Wii and it was a hit but you can't convince controller players that jumping up and down in front of their TV is better than relaxing and ripping people a new one. It worked for Nintendo because, kids. Kids are active, they love gimmicks. But when kids grow up they don't want that anymore. Hence WiiU's failure. Nintendo rode crappy tech too long and now kids moved on.

M$ and Sony...both dabbled in it last gen, and both did exactly what I thought would happen. Became total gimmicks that no major developer cared to support aside from a few so-so games. M$ didn't get the picture that it wasn't a good idea to keep throwing money at it...Sony did. But then again, Sony did eye toy stuff with PS2. They already knew motion camera controls were gimmicky and wouldn't last in the long run.

So, heres to VR! Hopefully they'll get it right and not make people sick in the process.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 01:08:46 am »
...but facebook... I wouldn't trust a company with such blurry motives.