Author Topic: Hull buffing effect and increased rebuild time  (Read 6790 times)

Offline Schwerbelastung

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 15
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Hull buffing effect and increased rebuild time
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:04:32 pm »
Hey there,

buffing or not buffing the hull of a ship sometimes causes arguments. Sometimes the pilot is screaming "don't buff the hull", especially on a squid, sometimes followed by a player (who may or may not be high level) asking "what, why?". The reason, of course, is that buffing a ship's hull not only increases its armor value by 30% but also increases its rebuild time.

Since a lot of players don't know about this mechanic, I've decided to film a little video showing this in action. As the video quite clearly shows how the mechanic is working, this thread can mainly be used to discuss whether or not this is a mechanic that should be in the game for balance purposes, and the thread's primary aim (from my point of view) is to raise awareness since I've met a lot of players, both low and high level, who aren't aware of this mechanic.

Cheers,

Schwerbelastung

http://youtu.be/aG3LIaOo_8Y

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Hull buffing effect and increased rebuild time
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 02:22:11 pm »
Definitely played a ton of games before I knew this worked like this.  I do think it should remain in the game but is a great candidate for material added to the new tutorial.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:55:35 pm »
yeah, alot of people dont know that downside of the hull buff. i certainly agree it should be in the tutorial.

i had a greater point to make here but i stopped after those frist two sentences, made a few drinks, discovered this in my open tabs, and now i cant for the life of me remember what it was so yeah. tutorial material. do it.

Offline Frazzledragon

• Salutes: 0
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:47:24 am »
Huh, I only found out about this yesterday, just tested it myself and it's true.

I believe rebuild time should always be the same. You are already giving up a fire extinguisher or another tool if you pick up buff, you shouldn't be punished with increased rebuild times too. That seems just unfair.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:30:58 pm »
This will likely be fixed in the next patch (1.3.6) according to the list of bug fixes present in the dev app.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:42:57 am »
Schwer, your empirical conclusion is probably about right - but as Ramjam said, this has been looked over. Hopefully the days of this being an annoyance are over. Buffing the hull is going to become a lot more useful :D