Author Topic: Concept for a sunday league  (Read 16276 times)

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Re: Concept for a sunday league
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 12:30:53 pm »
In theory you could participate in this league under the same philosophy as the rumbles: compete one week and drop out the next. Extra cogs could be added whenever teams join.

However teams only get to play a single game/match each week, and unless you keep playing consistently it is basically a weekly random scrim. Which is cool, but probably (maybe?) not what people look for in a casual event. Because you can't win the event in a single weekend. You can just win a single game/match. Which is cool, but not really that exciting. People looking to enter into a single day, no-commit event want to have a conclusion.

I'm pretty confident that your 2 major problems could be solved creatively, and it would be exciting to have a variety of every-week-play Leagues to rotate through.

I guess my biggest worry is that these long events could stifle new things. I'm already concerned enough about the length of HC without wondering what will happen if there isn't a consistent opening for a 1 day event running on Sundays for people to play relaxed. Not to say it couldn't be done, or done successfully, just that it (IMO) might not return the benefit of trying to hold onto Sundays for having events that can conclude in a single day.

Here's a possible solution to the initial seeding problem that makes your initial position less important (possibly):
Every week you play a match. The result is you either win and advance (1), win and hold position (2), or lose (3).
(1) You are awarded with 95 points.
(2) You are awarded with [50 - (2 * Z)] where "Z" is your depth in the Cogs -> A team is Z=0, B teams are Z=1, C teams are Z=2, etc.
(3) You are awarded 0 points.

This results in advancing teams being awarded good points (but not enough points to switch between winning and losing repeatedly and beat out the top team holding "A" all season).
Teams that hold position are rewarded with some points.
Teams that lose are not rewarded.
Your starting position matters less because although you can earn more points for holding a higher position, you run a higher risk of losing and getting no reward.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 08:06:07 am »
If its a late enough start on Sunday you'll probably get a team from us.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 11:25:06 am »
I much like the idea of something casual for Sundays. The thing here though is while I do still like the gearing format, and really want to participate in such system, I think it'll be a struggle to get people in under both a casual and a sustained way. The gearing format itself kind of relies on teams sticking around for awhile (so they can both 1. play to win and 2. have opponents). I don't think its really possible to have both in that manner.

That said, Sunday Rumbles can just take too long. Playing a tourney is a big time sink if youre doing well and plenty of people show up to stake their claim at winning the day.

A format that simply facilitates a way for teams to put in their name to be seeded into a match vs another willing team at humane hours would be nice. bo3, and you play, you win/lose, and teams can say how many matches they want. Just give it some basic common sense rules and play. Not every "competitive" event needs to be for prizes. Think of it as more of a middle man system for scrimmages.

Offline Frogger

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
I agree with RADM Zill on both counts.

If Saturday is going to be a continuous league event, Sunday should be very casual, with little or no continuity, so that the community isn't split and teams aren't exhausted, as inevitably happens during the long-running events.

I also agree that same-day Bo3 single elimination tournaments take way too long. A simple single elimination bracket for the casual event is a fine way to go, but I think the lower stages should be Bo1. RADM Zill's idea might also work, though it'd need to be fleshed out a bit.

Regardless, I definitely support making Sunday a light day if Saturday is going to be the premier league event.

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 01:53:57 pm »
I agree best of 1 may be worth trying for a casual elimination format. Maybe Bo1 in all matches except the final? an advantage of the one off nature of such an event is that it would be really easy to do it one week, see how it felt then work from there.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 02:47:07 pm »
For my "middle man for scrims" idea, there would be no brackets. Just matches. Ill give an crude example:

MM wants two matches. Ducks and Gents want one each. This would lead to MM playing Ducks, followed by MM playing Gents in a match (bo1 or bo3, whichever is deemed more popular). No "world league tournament season champion" titles. Just matches against other willing teams, with a set of common sense rules so everyone is satisfied.

Maps, teams fought, ect can be random. Since you don't have brackets, you can quite easily scale the matches. The only drawback is you might not always get more than one match if you want it, just based on how many teams want a match that week. You also hit a chance of getting an odd amount of teams. Such situations would need to be fleshed out. Streams could happen if someone wanted to do it, and if we get a lot of matches going at once, then it could be by popular vote which gets the spotlight.

Honestly I'd have no problem setting something like that up, if there was enough interest in such a thing.

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 02:53:51 pm »
Muse actually already have pretty much exactly that in the form of the Leviathan Seasonal. no uptake, although that may just be an issue of presentation.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 02:56:53 pm »
Except there are no point systems to worry about. Literally it would just be teams coming to have a few rounds against other teams in a manner that doesn't require them to organize it like they would now for one-off scrimmages.