Author Topic: Do you like it when things burned? Would you like if they burned better?  (Read 29311 times)

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
There is a reson I called id a poor man's artemis - instead of rich-mand or middle incommers artemis. Chemspray completely kills it (but you can't have more than 1 buffkit then, altho I suppose you don't need more than that anyway if you can ingore half of the enemy fleet. Becouse the  you can keep your whole ship protected with 1 chem spray (depends on the ship). If it cathes you off guard (it easily can), becouse chemspray does have long repair cooldown. It's a very situational build (it helps if the other ship has actual klling power, to take advanage of emergency scramble the ships is in while dealing getting hit by 2 flamers -12-20 seconds when your components can't be reapired).

Despite extensive amount of experience fighting Cake, it still happens that some key component won't be chemsprayed and will immediately get above 10 stacks of fire. Flamer isn't perfect weapon, bashee and flamer can both be ignored as long as you have everything chemsprayed (eventualy something won't be - even if it's just guns and engines).

Flamer is unfortionately such a weapon that it's either very situational or it's horifficaly OP.
It's definitely not something you want to bring to bring to BO1 if you want to win. You can only bring it to BO3 competitive eventy only if you are willing to risk it all for some fun - and it might just work agains ships with easily exploitable blind spot. And it's allways a great support weapon - if it's in a secondary weapon slot (port guns on pyra - especialy stern port gun for example). If it's on a "secondary" slot enemy won't be ever suficciently prepared - chemspray is allways at leat 9 seconds you could be repairing instead.

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like it when things burned? Would you like if they burned better?
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 04:29:58 am »
Currently as it is, when an engineer uses the chemical spray religiously, ships become nigh impervious to fire attacks and makes fire extinguisher next to usless.

Maybe instead of being 100% immune, perhaps it adds a -75% ignition chance or something that flame attacks would need to overcome to apply their stacks onto components. It can be applied like the buff hammer effect and last a while till it wears off.

Or perhaps the chemspray can apply "anti-fire" stacks onto a component that is neutralised or burnt off when an ignition chance procts.

Or even a combination of the two, having a -50% ignition chance and any chance that succeeds, it strips off a layer of fire retardant. Will help resist all but the most intense flamer load outs that some ships should be rewarded for taking the risk of bringing.

Engineers are suppose to buy time for ships to stay in one piece, they can only repair so much damage. In that same vein, their anti fire options should not grant 100% immunity to the point where they can ignore flames altogether.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:53:16 am by Mr.Bando »

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like it when things burned? Would you like if they burned better?
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 08:26:46 am »
Or maybe sometimes the simplest solutions are often the best.

have a -40% ignition chance (instead of -100%) that last for 20 seconds or less. It would render most flame attacks ineffective, unless prolonged or under intense dual flamers with incendiary loaded into them.

Nerfing the anti fire tools would be indirectly buffing fire weapons
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:36:03 am by Mr.Bando »

Offline SapphireSage

• Salutes: 11
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Salutations,

First off I would like to apologize for the thread necro but I figured that it would be a good place to put my thoughts on a possible fire idea.

I propose a change where fire stacks would potentially grow over time based on the number of stacks on a component. Say that the main engine gets 2 stacks of fire, at the beginning the growth of stacks could be slow to get to 3, 4, or 5 stacks however as it does so it gets progressively faster such that by the time it reaches say 12-14 stacks it wouldn't be long before it hits 20 and the component follows shortly thereafter burning away the entire time.

This could have a few potential effects for mid battle decisions such as if the balloon catches on fire then you can either try to ignore it and gun, meanwhile the fire stacks accumulate over time dealing more damage and making it harder to remove with chem spray or try to put it out immediately saving the balloon but sacrificing firepower. It can also cause more priority on a gunner's gun as currently if it were to catch fire gunners just hit it with a pipe wrench every so often and continue firing until an engineer can go to put it out. Continuous fire growth would make a gunner's fire more of a priority as eventually without care it will reach the mythical 8th stack forcing a gunner off until extinguish or break and rebuild.

If one wanted a potential nerf to the chem spray it might also be possible to make it so that the immunity applied only works on the initial application of fire and not necessarily the growth so it can still gain stack number even with immunity applied. This could make the extinguisher a better backup method of fire extinguish as if ones immunity wore off and several stacks were applied during that time a chem spray might not be able to save it due to having to constantly fight the growth of fire necessitating either an extinguisher or a break and rebuild. This keeps the chem spray's strength of preventing fires but makes it helpless in fighting them as eventually, provided enough firepower by the enemies, once the fires start then the constant attempts at extinguishing and rebuilding will take time letting the other chemmed components wear off and set alight.

The downsides of such an idea that I can think of so far would be an extra incentive for the third engineer to be able to handle his own fires. Another thing would be whether or not this would have an actual affect on the state of fire. Given the right levels of growth I don't believe it will be overpowered but the true weakness of fire is a well chem sprayed ship which while fire growth will give fire a potential fight against chem if it starts on a sufficient level of stacks it still has to get through that layer of immunity.

I'm not sure if this would be possible as well, but if it were possible to make fire able to spread to other components on the ship once the stacks got to a certain threshold level. Starting by spreading to the hull/balloon first if those aren't on fire already then going to random components from there. This is just a possible addition to this idea, but I'm unsure of the difficulty in implementing it into the game code wise and to balance it as well and is not the main part of the suggestion above, but a possible addition to it.

Lastly, my apologies for the terrible grammar and the wall of text. English grammar isn't my best subject I'm afraid. Post your thoughts about this idea if you could and thank you for reading.

Summary,
-Improvement to fire allowing a fire to grow in stacks over time based on amount of stacks.
-Potential nerf to chem spray by allowing fire growth to ignore immunity.
-If possible to implement and balance have fire spread after reaching a number of stacks.