Author Topic: Projectile Momentum Conservation (Angular Momentum problems)  (Read 5563 times)

Offline lyravega

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Ok, I have a problem with the Angular momentum. Whenever your ship is turning, trying to fire will mostly result in a wild drag caused by angular momentum.

My problem is, yes, angular momentum would drag the projectile, but if the turrets were fixed. However, most likely, the enemy you are trying to shoot at would require you to turn the turret to the opposite direction; for example, if the ship is turning towards left, most likely you'll turn the turret to the right to keep up with the target.

Now, these both actions should cancel the angular momentum. Well, not entirely, since inheritance is based on the center of the rotation, and since turrets aren't located at this sweet spot, there'll be some conservation. But right now, the angular momentum "inherited" by the projectiles feels like you have a veeeeery long ship, and the turret is on the opposite side of the rotational axis.

This is why, in my opinion, rotational (Angular) momentum conservation should be minimized, but not completely eliminated.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Projectile Momentum Conservation (Angular Momentum problems)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 05:58:52 pm »
I don't really know the physics behind it... But wouldn't the barrel, combined with the tiny amount of time it takes the bullet to be fired, basically mean any rotation involved would be negligible?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:07:13 pm »
I think you are referring to a bug that is also discussed in this thread:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,230.0.html

I suspect it is a networking bug, but working around it in game is proving to be an exercise in team coordination and gunnery skill. So I don't mind if it doesn't get fixed. Your millage may vary.

Offline lyravega

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:08:12 pm »
As I've said Moo, if the ship was very long, and the turret was located at the opposite end of the rotational axis (by which I mean, the point of "reference" where velocity in any direction is zero, center of rotation, etc...), then the angular momentum would cause more drag. It is mostly negligible, but as I've said, it should be minimized; it should be the absolute minimum.

If it is a bug, it should be fixed. If it is a feature, it is the most ridiculous feature I've ever seen, especially in a game that tries to adapt proper "bullet physics".

edit: I checked the patch notes, and it states this:

"- Fixed a bug with the way ship angular velocity was inherited by projectiles"

However, I really don't think so.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:19:12 pm by lyravega »