Author Topic: Corner CAM or MINIMAP  (Read 22326 times)

Offline Tropo

• Salutes: 31
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Corner CAM or MINIMAP
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 11:21:44 pm »
@ariden what a sweet and beautiful tone i think i should just pass my feed back to you in future

i think there should be a toggle off for players for sure

i have play some of the most amazing games both steam punk and future punk type of stuff and they all have toggle on and off mini maps and my old adult brain had no problems staying in immersion

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 01:36:01 am »
Well.. i was a noob not so far (in fact soon be the year, as i playing this awesome game), so i'm remember my first experience, when i first understand the importance of the map... and i think that minimap is not needed.

First - minimap not give you needed information, or information, you did not know already - like position of enemy\friendly, direction etc. It won't give you info about surroundings, because you see them. And if you plan a trap or something - full map is more useful for this.

And i should, that there must be more hints, on using a full map, than making an minimap. Just a thought, yap.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 03:00:48 am »
First off, lol internet arguments.

Secondly, i feel a mini map is not needed in a game such as this. With the mini-map style of information presentation, you have to implement it on every player's UI and it would get in the way of a non-pilot player attempting to spot the enemy ships. "But, it could just be disabled with a simple key binding." I hear you saying already. While that is true, it is another piece of information that needs to be learned by the player.

Furthermore, as the mini map is only really useful to the pilot, it serves a secondary purpose of making pilots that much more isolated from the action on board the ship. This is a cooperative game. anything that pushes pilots further into the realm of arrogance many already inhabit is a bad thing.  Pilot is just another job on the ship, it should not get preferential treatment over other classes.

having to pull up the full map is, in essence, a simulation of having to look at/hold up a physical map. if that is something the pilot is not willing/not able to do at that time, due to what ever reason, another crew member can serve as navigator, checking the map and relaying the relevant information to the pilot. cooperation is what should drive this game, anything that works against that is in the least, counter productive; and at most, directly harmful.