Author Topic: Matchmaking?  (Read 7191 times)

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
Matchmaking?
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:03:37 pm »
Ofcourse I am not the expert on this planned Matchmaking system, but from what I can assume it is designed to remove the "Lobbies of Icarus" stigma people have on this game. However it seems that you either just go into matchmaking on your own or you build a ship and then go into a match.

I know people HATE waiting around for a match, but a lot of people really like it as you get to plan your loadouts, socialize and discuss builds and strategies. I think "direct to match multiplayer" is PERFECT for novice matches as many new players want to shoot pew pew guns as apposed  to waiting around and getting orders, its not like novices are competitive or are only focused on having a smooth set up. Replacing a dull looking server list with a button only novices can press labeled "Play a Match Now" or something like that would get new players into a match where they wouldn't be bossed around by higher level players. Also this could decrease the amounts of novices that wander into a match that has all pilots above level 10 and are going at it in a full head-to-head

However if everyone is FORCED to be funneled into matches by a computer, GoIO would lose its charm and people would likely be put on ships where they don't fit. If Muse really wanted to decrease the time from turning on the game to actually being in a match they should add more support for AI matches or maybe minigames, anything that wouldn't make players play matches without time to plan in a pregame lobby.

AI matches could be a full 2v2 match where everyone is an ai except the player, or maybe there could be an accuracy challenge where you need to shoot as many targets with an artemis as possible, and then your scores would be displayed on a leaderboard. Or what about an obstacle coarse that pilots must manouver their way through tunnels and other obstacles with maybe a ram at the end that gives you more points based on the speed you were moving at

I didn't want this thread to turn into a minigame idea list like above, but I would do anything to prevent this game from turning into another CoD or World of _____ where all we do is be dropped into a lobby with no idea what match we are playing, what ship we are crewing on or who we are fighting. Hopefully I am wrong about this whole thing and Matchmaking is just something for novices or an optional expereince for those with low patience

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Matchmaking?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:38 pm »
The current plan for it is to function pretty much the way you're expecting it to, but the discussion thread for this is in the Dev App section (if you don't see it it's because you're not signed up for the dev app, please do so if you are concerned and want to help test it before anything goes live).

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:49:10 am »
Actually, I'm not quite sure what you meant Imagine but the current proposal for matchmaking will basically put you in a cue and then place you into a full lobby of your skill level so that you have time to prepare your ship/crew/strategy etc.

Once in lobby there will be a countdown timer running.  If ships are ready early they can ready up as they do now and if not press a not ready button for additional time.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:51:16 am »
Well you can say that you see alot of new people, but you always gonna see alot of new people.
If you want to play some actual higher levelled matches, then try and search some experienced people.

they are still working on AI Intelligence. (I think they are almost done with that)

We had the play button but alot of people disliked it. because you get thrown into a game with empty spots.

If Muse could improve the "play" in a form that it actually takes a look at your achievement level and compare it to the aveage achievement level in a game. Then if the system found a game what is considerd the best option it should look at the empty places available. Maybe it's great if the system then look what kind of spot it is. For example: If it's not a pilot spot then it's a crew slot. Hopefully Muse can make the system intelligent enough to make it take a look at the actual crew on the ship. If there is 1 gunner, 1 engineer and 1 pilot then the system must force you to engineering and places you in the match. Why did I say engineering?
The combination of crew that is mostly used is actually: 1 Pilot, 1 Gunner and 2 Engineers.
If you actually want to fancy it up youmight want to give the player a notification saying "Match Found, Class: (chosen class by system)", then give the player an option for 10 seconds to "Enter now" or "Edit Class" to edit the class that has been assigned to him. When the player gets the notification it would actually be nice if he can also see the ship roster of the chosen ship. This way you have more information about who is on the ship and if you need to change your class before entering. If the player wishes to change his class then he will get directed to the class editor, he then gets 30 seconds to edit his loadout.

maybe this is a nice idea to start of with.

Smollet, if you're not ready. Wouldn't you then not press the ready button? I don't really see the use of a not ready buton since people use backdoors to reset the timer by leaving the captain spot for a brief second.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:11:25 am »
Coldcurse: Muse has multiple times explained how matchmaping will work. It will make ships consisting STRICTLY of 1 pilot 2 engineers and 1 gunner (unless you queue with a premade crew instead of solo queue). It will put together people of simmilar matchmaking rating.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 10:38:56 am »
I've heard there will actually be a way for th me captain to suggest his ship composition (ie 2 engineers 1 gunner/3 engineers) not sure if that's before or during the lobby.

Also, since matchmaking will almost always create a full lobby there will be a countdown timer started that's several minutes long to facilitate the matches starting sooner.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 02:47:36 am »
Coldcurse: Muse has multiple times explained how matchmaping will work. It will make ships consisting STRICTLY of 1 pilot 2 engineers and 1 gunner (unless you queue with a premade crew instead of solo queue). It will put together people of simmilar matchmaking rating.
Sorry I missed that part since I was and am, too busy with my college.

Offline Tropo

• Salutes: 31
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:57 am »
i would also like the option to for 3 gunners and one engineer i don't see why not

i was told by the man him self that i will be able to ask my gunner in the 90 seconds before the match starts to change his load out even be a engineer

i hope they keep that plan