Author Topic: Simple suggestions to improve gameplay  (Read 17294 times)

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Re: Simple suggestions to improve gameplay
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 02:10:27 am »
As one of the guys that generally rails against anything that makes this game "easier" I think seeing cones of fire would be a cool feature added and be great for discussions about balance of ships and guns.
Says the level 4 gunner...

I say the cone of fire should only be option in practice. This way people will start making more use of the practice mode. I see no purpose to use the firecone indication in actual gameplay.

As for the autofire, I would like to see this being an option that you can toggle on and off as personal preference.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 05:15:07 am »
As one of the guys that generally rails against anything that makes this game "easier" I think seeing cones of fire would be a cool feature added and be great for discussions about balance of ships and guns.

I say the cone of fire should only be option in practice. This way people will start making more use of the practice mode. I see no purpose to use the firecone indication in actual gameplay.

As for the autofire, I would like to see this being an option that you can toggle on and off as personal preference.

The cones are still only suggested for the loadout, Coldcurse, not gameplay itself. And please don't judge people upon their levels, that's prejudgemental and unfair.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 07:14:52 am »

The cones are still only suggested for the loadout, Coldcurse, not gameplay itself. And please don't judge people upon their levels, that's prejudgemental and unfair.
My apologies, I found it was mend as a little joke.

As a cone of fire for a loadout, what class will get this option?
Gunner or Captain?

Also wouldn't it put the rangefinder on a disadvantage since it this nw cone of fire would be more clear where you would shoot. Making the rangefinder the lesser tool.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 07:32:21 am »
First off I think Wilson's Notes should be unlocked from the start.

When talking about ship and/or weapon balance if you know gun facings -witch we do for all except Mobula (outer most guns are somwhere at about 45° to the side -mortar cant quite aim at target dummy that is centered with the helm of the ship- and bottom deck ones are probably about half way -merc is ways of the same target ). Spire's side gun arcs should be in patch notes, but I do belive they are at -45° and +45°. Rest of ships have perpendicular angles when it comes to gun facings.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:04 am »

Gunner or Captain?

Also wouldn't it put the rangefinder on a disadvantage since it this nw cone of fire would be more clear where you would shoot. Making the rangefinder the lesser tool.
What we mean to say is that it would only be visible in the loadout screen. Not during a match. Not during gameplay. It would be a layover so that while you are choosing your guns, you can see how they overlap and what their ranges are without having to have already done extensive research. Repeating myself, this would in no way shape or form be visible while actually playing. This would purely be to help a captain select what weapons to place where.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 08:03:16 am »

Gunner or Captain?

What we mean to say is that it would only be visible in the loadout screen. Not during a match. Not during gameplay. It would be a layover so that while you are choosing your guns, you can see how they overlap and what their ranges are without having to have already done extensive research. Repeating myself, this would in no way shape or form be visible while actually playing. This would purely be to help a captain select what weapons to place where.
Thank you for clarifying, this was information that I didn't know of.
It would indeed be great if you are able to see the cones of fire as you make your ship loadout.
Wouldn't it be better if you had a flat side, Flat Front back, Flat back front and a flat top down view next to the 3D ship? This would make the visibillity of the differences between guns alot more clear.

Offline Mary Read

• Salutes: 2
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 10:07:46 am »
I read the replies, and i'll try to explain myself a little better:
1) if the immersion is your issue, just make this toggleable. I still insist that knowing where the allied ships are and what are their name is pretty usefull for coordination and teamwork (for example, at the moment you never see tactics like "2 of us attract the fire and one try to flank them").
2) well, as you said is not that big issue, but i still think it will not damage the game being able to switch class one time every few maps to correct mistakes.
3) i wasn't joking when i told you that costant clicking is not healthy, it actually isn't good for your hands in the long term, so if we could have an autofire option that would be great.
4) the fire cones will be only visible in the ship loadout screen, and while they will tell you if some weapons has some fire cones in common, you still should do a little test to see were the common area of those cones is by helm perspective.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:12:41 am by Mary Read »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 09:34:15 am »
I havent read the posts in response, but to the op:

1. The map already does this to the best extent, which adds a layer of skill involved with coordination that I enjoy. Tactics like you suggest do happen, but in pubby matches its not common since rarely do two three captains who don't know each other communicate on that level.
2. I think its the wrong fix for a problem with people joining 5 seconds before the match starts, and you're hosed. Something should be done about that, though within lobby, not in-match. For joining in on a ship already in-match, look at its loadout, and take the what fits. If the captain really wants you to, changing loadouts is simple to do. Joining as the wrong class, I mean, if you look at the ship before you join, im not sure how you manage that. The current way to swap class after joining is hard, and time consuming, but possible, which is how it should be for the sake of exploiting.
3. Makes sense. If some can already do it, why not all? If its an intended balance mechanic, then ok. I worry itll be like the current hold-to-repair is though, and end up being less effective anyway.
4. Coming from someone who misses the old blueprint loadout screens, I think the screen is already busy enough. If such a thing were to be added, it should be toggle-able for each gun, so you can not just clutter the screen with cones. This would also require a top-down view of the boat.