Author Topic: "The Cogs" League Discussion  (Read 76407 times)

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cogs" League Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:59:01 pm »
I'm not sure if SMAC will be able to field a team. We only have four or so players who have made it clear that they can come. And plus with Spasmic Monkey stepping down from the leadership position... It's going to be hard for us.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:17:53 am »
I'm not sure if SMAC will be able to field a team. We only have four or so players who have made it clear that they can come. And plus with Spasmic Monkey stepping down from the leadership position... It's going to be hard for us.

He did what now?? Thats news...

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:29:53 pm »
He did what now?? Thats news...

Yeah, he doesn't like the new build. He seems to think that the game's been ruined. So he wants to stay away from GoIO for a (long) while.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:08:04 pm »

hope you guys can find a team regardless.
you are awesome.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:48:22 pm »

hope you guys can find a team regardless.
you are awesome.

Thanks, Skrimskraw. By the way, are you guys from KG going to show up? You guys made it pretty clear you weren't happy with the current system. Have you changed your mind on anything?

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:18:15 pm »
Thanks, Skrimskraw. By the way, are you guys from KG going to show up? You guys made it pretty clear you weren't happy with the current system. Have you changed your mind on anything?
We're planning on entering a team on a trial basis, although that's no longer the flag we fly under.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:23:33 pm by Urz »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 05:14:52 am »
It may take a few failed attempts to get the Cogs league up and running.  Especially with all the new players, alliances and teams tend to shift a lot during these moments before settling down into something semi-solid.
I've been considering abandoning the niche of Mercenary Captain and formally opening up a team of my own The Whalers.  My general concern is a lack of high numbers participating on the boards at this time to really fill 2 ships.  Possibly fill one ship, and partner up with another team that is lacking a ship.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:02 am »
It may take a few failed attempts to get the Cogs league up and running.  Especially with all the new players, alliances and teams tend to shift a lot during these moments before settling down into something semi-solid.
I've been considering abandoning the niche of Mercenary Captain and formally opening up a team of my own The Whalers.  My general concern is a lack of high numbers participating on the boards at this time to really fill 2 ships.  Possibly fill one ship, and partner up with another team that is lacking a ship.

atm we have ´1 full team, we are working on scrambling team 2 together

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:55:05 pm »

We have no idea about KG intentions or their KGMS tournament group (King's Gambit Mercenary Squadron). What happened between us and KG does not pertain to this topic and is well, between us and KG (might be a discussion for later in another topic, but certainly not now).
That said I was in KG prorably the most lenient to COGs and most willing to give it a try. I went with Urz and Scrimscraw to our tournament group, becouse I saw an oppurtunity to do just that.

ALSO: I hope you manage to pull yourself back together :)

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 06:45:35 pm »
We have no idea about KG intentions or their KGMS tournament group (King's Gambit Mercenary Squadron). What happened between us and KG does not pertain to this topic and is well, between us and KG (might be a discussion for later in another topic, but certainly not now).
That said I was in KG prorably the most lenient to COGs and most willing to give it a try. I went with Urz and Scrimscraw to our tournament group, becouse I saw an oppurtunity to do just that.

ALSO: I hope you manage to pull yourself back together :)

Something happened with you guys and KG? That's unfortunate. I won't starting asking about it though, since it's clearly none of my business.

Thanks for the words of support, but considering how we barely even pulled a team together for Fjords, this isn't looking too great. I might even have to sign up for somebody else's team if we can't figure something out.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 07:58:47 pm »
Been attempting to get some guildies into it so we'd have a team but it's been hit or miss. Got enough for a crew atm but getting them online to practice and just playing the game on their own hasn't gone so well. Couple I can only get online over the weekends. Got a feeling in the end I'll just be a free agent.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 12:55:52 pm »
I think the problem holding the cogs back is the 8 player requirement. Most groups just can't hold that many people once a week. It's too serious and we just don't have the player base to keep the cogs turning. I think some sort of more casual system would hold up better. Perhaps an elo like system where we have times for ranked games on weekends and whoever shows up and wins goes up in elo and just keep the rankings somewhere public.

Offline Vertweeler

• Salutes: 0
    • [AGBI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 01:07:26 am »
I have an 8+ player team that would love to get involved with this, but the timing doesn't work.  We are all mostly college students who work on the weekends.  If you guys got something going on Monday nights or Friday afternoons we could probably join in though.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 01:13:45 am »
We have enough players to support the league, just not enough players that are coming to the board and participating in the larger community.  Hell, we even have some higher level crews that I've never seen on the boards.
It's like when bounties where first introduced, all I'd see in local chat was, what is a bounty, how did you get to be a bounty, what happens, what do I get?

What about allowing captains to fill missing crew spots with AI?  It's a solution till teams can come together.  Heck, we could fill an entire bracket with just people rolling captain and squaring off with just AI crews, though I know that wouldn't be to the liking of many.