Author Topic: Allow players to spectate novice matches.  (Read 10912 times)

Offline SnipahShot

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Allow players to spectate novice matches.
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:26:39 pm »
Hey,

A friend of mine just joined GoI and I wanted to play with him but I am level 4 in one of the roles so can't(Doesn't make sense since I should be able to play it on the other roles) and I wanted to spectate him and explain things as he goes through the first match but the only option is to join the match.

I support this suggestion(Didn't want to bump due to it's age):
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,970.msg16196.html#msg16196

As well as letting us spectate other novice matches as well.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Allow players to spectate novice matches.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:28:24 pm »
Just have your friend join you in non-novice matches.

Offline SnipahShot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:30:55 pm »

Why would I want him playing against high level players? That is the whole purpose of novice matches, to let the players introduced into the game smoothly. Especially if the player haven't played a single game yet.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:37:09 pm »

Why would I want him playing against high level players? That is the whole purpose of novice matches, to let the players introduced into the game smoothly. Especially if the player haven't played a single game yet.
Aside from the fact that this is basically the same thread as you made just a few minutes ago, you can find a plethora of non-high level non-novice matches (and if you just stumble into one with a bunch of high level you can just hop out and go find another match. If you're serious about learning the game and getting better though, it's almost beneficial to get into a game with higher levels, most of them are more than happy to share their knowledge and insight about the game if one is willing to listen.

Offline SnipahShot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:41:40 pm »
Dude, both threads are completely not related to each other.. Read the titles.. I came up with these suggestions because a friend of mine joined and I can't play with him.. The suggestions aren't related to this point of time either.

I know which games to play and I know how to play, I am not new to games and I am not new to forums as I have been mod for companies for years.

Just to clarify:
This suggestion has NO relevance, what so ever, to the fact that I can't PLAY novice matches or can't play with my friends.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:18:51 pm »
i am going to post in both, so first of

Your right the ability to spectate should be implemented it would give you a much better time teaching your friends the game, and at a level where exploiting it is not an issue however,,, this being said it is the lobby themselves that get locked from level 4+, not just position in the match, so i am not sure how this could be implemented because when you join a lobby you join a slot on a free ship, then move to spectate or spectate if there is no slots free, so the abilty to lock postions for level 4+ to spectate would have to be implemented, then you have trainers and ca's who are higher than level 4 and are able to play in said lobbies, can you see how much work is needed for this implementation i don't think it is viable imho

Offline SnipahShot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:38:08 pm »
i am going to post in both, so first of

Your right the ability to spectate should be implemented it would give you a much better time teaching your friends the game, and at a level where exploiting it is not an issue however,,, this being said it is the lobby themselves that get locked from level 4+, not just position in the match, so i am not sure how this could be implemented because when you join a lobby you join a slot on a free ship, then move to spectate or spectate if there is no slots free, so the abilty to lock postions for level 4+ to spectate would have to be implemented, then you have trainers and ca's who are higher than level 4 and are able to play in said lobbies, can you see how much work is needed for this implementation i don't think it is viable imho

You should get a message saying "You are only able to spectate the match, please pick a ship to spectate" and you are stuck with that ship for the entire match unless you leave.

Edit:
Regarding the possibility of cheating, I can give an example from League of Legends. When you enter a match as a spectator there, the match you watch is actually a delayed feed of the actual match(You are behind by like 30 seconds or more, don't quite remember)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:39:42 pm by SnipahShot »

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:42:40 pm »
You should get a message saying "You are only able to spectate the match, please pick a ship to spectate" and you are stuck with that ship for the entire match unless you leave.

Actually, this makes me think of having a ghost 5th crewman who is invisible and can't help, but could type in crew chat, walk around the ship, possibly use voice chat (but maybe not because trolls). Only problem would be the lag induced by adding another player.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 02:18:52 am »
What is the purpose of having higher level people watch a low level game?
Is it because your friends have higher levels and can't join your low level games?

Join the higher level games, we won't bite you.

I am a training captain and hop in to low level games to say hello and give tips. I have noticed that there are alot of players who are lvl 1-4, and join high level matches and they most of the time are ok.

Saying that lvl 1-4 players won't learn the game in non-novice matches is a lie. The community of this game is amazing. If your captain has any sense of honor/ respect, he will help you out, give you tips and tricks and answer you questions.

I never played a novice match when I started in this game, now I'm leader of a clan and a well known player in the skies.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:08:28 am »
Spectator mode in the current state is not implemented the same way Spectator mode is implemented. In here spectator mode you are watching the game as it happens. In lol it's a 3d recording of a match - that creates a lot of overhead (reason why not all matches can be spectated).

As for spectating novice matches if you are not novice, this has allready allready been sugested. For now you can start with the sandbox, and explain the basics in there, and then go from there.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:57:05 am »
There's a number of issues this could bring up, and not a whole lot of benefit. Surely you can help your friend and other new players, but what's to stop other players from straight up trolling them during the match? Giving away locations, providing bad advice, etc. The novice matches allow for players to learn the basics of the game without the added stress of having a high level player give orders you don't understand, or constantly destroying your ship and stomping on your team.

Overall, the time players spend in novice matches is pretty brief before they're forced into non-novice matches, where you need to add onto the basics you picked up, and you learn a lot more practical aspects of the game. It's a bit of a sharp learning curve, but if you fly under an experienced captain, or find a lobby where players are around the same experience as you, it's a bit easier and less stressful.

Back to the main issue, the benefits of being able to spectate the novice matches probably isn't worth the time and energy spent building a system that allows for it. There's also the upcoming matchmaking system which should alleviate most of the "I can't play with my friend who's new" issues.

(And by the time that matchmaking is finished or they put in a system that allows you to join or spectate novice matches, your friends should already be rank 4 or higher in a role)

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 06:27:22 pm »
I think a good solution to the issue is to allow ONE non-novice player on each novice ship, but only if the other team also has a non-novice player on one or both of their ships. That way the new players can learn better, the game stays balanced, without the non-novice player having to send in any annoying application emails.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 02:17:47 am »
I think a good solution to the issue is to allow ONE non-novice player on each novice ship, but only if the other team also has a non-novice player on one or both of their ships. That way the new players can learn better, the game stays balanced, without the non-novice player having to send in any annoying application emails.
So how does a non-novice player join the game if there is no non-novice player in the gameroom yet? I think you are reffering to training captains.