Author Topic: [FOR THE DEVS and pro players]  (Read 11956 times)

Offline HoboPotato

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
[FOR THE DEVS and pro players]
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:06:21 pm »
can we have a label on an ally ship saying Ally?

Can we have an option for the captain to kick players in the waiting room in order for others in the party to join?

can we please have gunners use 2 perks at once?

Is there a way to show all the healths of the ship in one location and not placed on where you are looking?

I feel like the novice games take away part of the community that could really help new players and makes the game less fun, which are the pros that are lvl 4 and higher.Pro players help bring greater love to the game for novices cuz they know what they are doing. Suggesting to have a novice place only if people want to and not mandatory in the beginning.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have maps be deathmatch such as the maps that are currently capture the point, such as the city like map in the night. very annoying to actually win in this map if you are not first to take control of the point. many of my friends hate this map. would love to have an option to have any gamemode we want for a map.

why can't we put hwachas on the pyrimidons? is it too OP?

I feel like i have more but i will post it another time

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: [FOR THE DEVS and pro players]
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:27:04 pm »
Hey Hobo,

First of all welcome to the game!

as for your questions:

tbh, there are so many different ways to tell whether or not the ship you're pointing at is an ally or not, but my best advice is to constantly check your map for your ally's position, as well as stay in constant communication with the allied pilot (if you are also the pilot)... another good rule of thumb is that if they're shooting at you, you should probably shoot back.

Can we have an option for the captain to kick players in the waiting room in order for others in the party to join?

This can be mitigated by the "Form Crew" button. This will let you organize your party first before even getting into a match. Saves you time, and effort asking for players to transition... all else fails, a "pretty please" generally works for me

this has it's own ramifications to it, that I don't really want to think about, and it boils down to whether or not you think a gunner is useful (of which there is a rather large thread about, and I do not wish to continue.)

Is there a way to show all the healths of the ship in one location and not placed on where you are looking?

This has also been a discussion point recently, I rather like the way it is now, as it kinda forces a pilot and engineer to work closely with each other. having it stationary also breaks the immersion a bit for me, but that's my own opinion

I feel like the novice games take away part of the community that could really help new players and makes the game less fun, which are the pros that are lvl 4 and higher.Pro players help bring greater love to the game for novices cuz they know what they are doing. Suggesting to have a novice place only if people want to and not mandatory in the beginning.

Novice matches are not mandatory, and you do have the option of flying with us "Pros" if you feel like it. If I remember correctly, there's a way to filter out novice matches in the bottom left

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have maps be deathmatch such as the maps that are currently capture the point, such as the city like map in the night. very annoying to actually win in this map if you are not first to take control of the point. many of my friends hate this map. would love to have an option to have any gamemode we want for a map.

+1 would love to see this as a DM map, in addition to the CK... both can be fun in their own ways *edit* If we're talking about the Raid on Refinery map... if it's Labyrinth, you have Paritan Rumble, which is the sister DM map

Two forward facing heavy weapons would be incredibly OP
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:32:56 pm by Shinkurex »

Offline HoboPotato

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:35:38 pm »
Hello shinkurex, Yes I know we can check the map often but I think it would be nice if an ally label was there anyways.

For the health of the ship can we still have it as a turn on off option to make it static

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:37:50 pm »
Experts-only matches would be very welcome.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:44:46 pm »
Experts-only matches would be very welcome.
Define "expert".

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 01:12:42 pm »
Above level 3 in any class, opposite of novice.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 01:34:22 pm »
I'd like to have a lobby option which restricts to players with less than 250-500 matches played from joining (maybe add an exception for invitations).
Occasionally I really just want to play a relaxed matchor two without yelling detailed instruction to my crew members and co-captains. Also I've seen way to many formerly enjoyable lobbies with high lvl captains beeing ruined by 1/1/1 #YOLO pilots.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 01:42:13 pm »
To be perfectly honest, that's not the point of this thread...

Hello shinkurex, Yes I know we can check the map often but I think it would be nice if an ally label was there anyways.

For the health of the ship can we still have it as a turn on off option to make it static

I dont have any problems with an ally tag added into the game, I simply don't understand the point for it, so if you'd like to expand on that reasoning, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

The static health bar has been suggested before, and make it optional would certainly let me keep my immersion, however I feel as though with that there, I'd stop communicating to my crew... alot of my interactions as a pilot is to call to my engineers for component checks, that way I can focus on what's in front (and checking allied positions :)))

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 02:00:52 pm »
I dont have any problems with an ally tag added into the game, I simply don't understand the point for it, so if you'd like to expand on that reasoning, I'd greatly appreciate it :)
It would help for specific ship positioning, and for instantaneous responses. There are times in the heat of battle where I am convinced that I know where my ally is, so when I see a similar ship too far away to immediately know colors, I say to shoot for it before I check anything else. This usually leads to me being blindsided by the actual enemy the few times I am wrong.
As far as ship positioning, sometimes your ally is in your blind spot, but you can't tell exactly where it is. The tag would help you see where they are relative to you, rather than checking the map to see their grid location, then looking that way on the compass, judging the vertical compass reading, and trying to guess where in the clouds/blind spot that your ally actually is.
The static health bar has been suggested before, and make it optional would certainly let me keep my immersion, however I feel as though with that there, I'd stop communicating to my crew... alot of my interactions as a pilot is to call to my engineers for component checks, that way I can focus on what's in front (and checking allied positions :)))
I actually almost never ask my crew for a check on components. Somehow I am usually pretty in tune with what is taking damage and where it will be on my screen, so usually the only time I have to ask my crew about a part it is to ask a gun-happy main engineer to take care of my engines instead of shoot, or to tell my balloon gungineer that THE BALLOON IS ON FIRE STOP SHOOTING. I usually notice most everything as it is happening and don't have to ask about it. The static display would just make that easier for someone with less experience in a specific ship.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 02:46:29 pm »
Muse could just make the team colors more vibrant, so it would be easier to tell red from blue. The fact they are so muted I think was an intentional design decision to force captains to rely on their crew for target identification.

The novice games exist to give people below level 4 a chance to play the game without getting crushed by people who have optimized their builds. When I first started playing the only lobbies open were Zill's (an experience that traumatizes me to this day). I would be blown from the skies before my ship had a chance to line up my guns. I think of the novice matches as an extension of the sand box. You can experiment with the game mechanics without having to get everything perfect.

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 02:56:57 pm »
Specifically related to you Potato,

I just shared my opinion on this. The key factor here would be that the marking would need to be distinctly different from the normal spotting bracket, because the white brackets would be just as confusing to a lot of people, especially if an enemy and ally are named the same thing.

This has been hotly debated. The consensus is that Muse wants this to be an open inviting game based around communication and teamwork. If someone can't move ships to accommodate a polite request, then they won't make it far in this game. Be polite, courteous, and if the same is requested of you, try to listen. If someone won't cooperate, sometimes it is just best to move on and find a new lobby.

I'm not sure what you mean by perks?

I responded to this earlier as well. It would be an interesting option to have.

This is an interesting perspective. Novice matches serve several purposes, 2 of which are to keep novice players away from experienced players, and vice versa.
Novice matches are an arena where you can learn the game without being matched up against more experienced players who can and will dominate you simply because they understand a lot of nuances that you just haven't had time to learn yet. In this regard, they are quite successful for those who realize they exist and actually try to use them.
Similarly, they are a way to keep less experienced players out of the older players' lobbies, to make it so we don't have to explain the ship layout every 20 minutes, and then get promptly ignored so that someone can shoot a flare gun at the ally.
But it does limit interaction, which can be the best teacher so every new player doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. Trust me, there is a lot of discussion on how to ease the learning curve for newer players. We want you to stay, we just don't know how to convince you yet other than to make you play until it clicks and you fall in love.

Capture point maps have the potential to be very very interesting, but they have a lot of problems in this game. The biggest factor is that one player can block 2 opponents from capping a point. This leads to annoying/hilarious hijinks as you try to block a point without dying.
CP is the interesting mix between being strategic and being a mad dash to get back to the point. As you improve, it should be a more interesting game type.
You can also tell that the devs know it needs work because they keep changing the timers on CP maps every update. ;)

Because the world isn't ready for such OP-ness my friend. It isn't ready.
Although the sight would be something to behold. Better yet, imagine heavy guns on a squid. Hilarious.
Really, the heavy guns can only be placed in heavy slots, which have been designed to have serious drawbacks to make up for the extreme power of the heavy guns.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 11:35:22 pm »
I'd like to have a lobby option which restricts to players with less than 250-500 matches played from joining (maybe add an exception for invitations).
Occasionally I really just want to play a relaxed matchor two without yelling detailed instruction to my crew members and co-captains. Also I've seen way to many formerly enjoyable lobbies with high lvl captains beeing ruined by 1/1/1 #YOLO pilots.

Would you ever play a non expert match though? I don't think many people would go back.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:00:46 am »
...Red, am I one of your "gun-happy main engineers"?
You know, the mines and all...

Offline Frazzledragon

• Salutes: 0
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 03:56:16 pm »
I'd actually like the Novice matches to be mandatory. There are too many people who join a high level lobby, sit around in a slot without listening to anything the captain and others tell them, for instances about changing the loadout. And when in game they don't know what to do and sitll don't listen. You tell them to shoot, they don't shoot, you tell them to get off a gun and repair, they ignore that too and fire away at an ally ship.

If you fully take Novice games away you are basically forcing the newbies onto the better players.
It's a bad idea to not give them any option but to at best accidentally crew only with other lows or deter them from the game altogether by often letting them end up in total stomp lobbies.

To improve that, you could make a Coach grouping instead. Some nooblettes can look for a high player to teach them instead of them going around and messing with crews by being inefficient.

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 04:21:12 pm »
...Red, am I one of your "gun-happy main engineers"?
You know, the mines and all...
You are the worst kind of gun-happy main engineer: one that lets my ship die while trying to kill an ally ;)

I'd actually like the Novice matches to be mandatory.
I'll stop right there. This would force those gems, the new players eager to learn, communicate, and excel, the ones who have a natural affinity for the roles we need them in, and it would force them into the doldrums of the match list. That isn't to say you can't learn from novice lobbies, but the really exciting new players need to be able to leave the novice lobbies and just straight up learn from people who already know what they are doing.
Also, if you convince a friend to join the game but then can't play the game with him because they are locked in novice lobbies.... Well that would just suck.

A lot of the rest of what you said didn't really click for me, so if you want to elaborate and explain, I'll give it a read and try to understand, but with regards to locking novices in... that would be a travesty.