Author Topic: The Story of a Crewman  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Don Griffen

• Salutes: 1
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
The Story of a Crewman
« on: February 23, 2014, 06:24:46 pm »
This topic is to share the story of your character! I am simply creating it so that people who are looking for a little roleplaying or even just want to share a fun fiction can do it! Anyways, here is the story of how I became a pilot, feel free to post your stories down below! Length doesn't matter, just be creative (:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was always an interest of mine how one wheel could control the largest of galleons, or how a cannon didn't explode after firing an incendiary round, or even how a squid could destroy a junker at ramming speed. I never took action the way my family did, I just asked questions. One day I asked my father why he had to use helium to increase altitude and he told me he didn't know. He said we shouldn't ask questions like that.

When I turned 13, I flew with my mom for the first time. She taught me how to tether the balloon and how to change the gear on the helm. It was the best day of my life! She even let me steer a little bit (until I scraped the paint on a pipe)! I knew I had an interest in flying, but I had an even bigger interest in how it all worked. I slowly got involved in the science industry of vessels. I went to industrialization school for two years.

Alas I was old enough to fly solo for the very first time, but something very different happened instead. On my 15th birthday, February 23, my father and I were standing on the docks of our city, Venra, as we heard the first explosions. Something most people don't understand is that in Venra, explosions are not uncommon. Like I stated previously, industrialization was big, and the citizens were very interested in experimentation, which of course can lead to explosions. There is also a large crime rate in Venra so artifacts of value are destroyed often, typically with explosives. But anyways, when I heard the booming sound, I thought nothing of it but a sailor igniting some kerosene on accident, but it was so much more than that. My father sighted a squid about a kilometer off in the distance and behind it several galleons and junkers. The horn sounded in the distance notifying the city guards and sailors of an attack. There was a sudden roar of engines in my ear which could only mean that our pyramidions were soaring up to defend. I followed my father to our spare spire in the back courtyard. He began to inflate the balloon as I tethered it like my mother taught me. I moved to give my father a hug goodbye as he rejected me with a look of shock on his face.

"Aren't you going?" he asked.

"You know I would love to but I would only restrain you from battle," I said.

"Son, I need you," he implored.

I gave in and climbed aboard our ship as he cut the ropes and we soared high through the air. He told me he was going to burn some kerosene so I got ready by the engines for repair. We were soon among the other ships when he yelled for me to get on the top deck flak. I had never actually fired a light flak gun before, but I knew one thing. There was going to be a massive kick.

I prepared myself with relaxed shoulders and slowly pulled the lever causing the cannon to fire. I fired six shots and hit a squid with two of them. The squid has such weak armor that I was able to blow it out of the sky with even that, but the galleons and junkers were going to be a little more challenging. The captain of the ship, my father, told me to get down on the manticore, and I did as he said. Again, I had never fired a manticore, but  I was ready. A volley of approximately 20 rockets came out of the golden lions' mouthes. All of the projectiles found the marks on the sleek shell of an opposing galleon destroying its armor. I watched as my dead dropped the helm and ran up to the flak and immediately destroyed the galleon's core. There were only a couple junkers left, but my father and I didn't have to worry about them because six pyramidions were behind us to take them out.

We pulled the ship back around to the courtyard and landed it swiftly. I helped him tie down the ropes as we congratulated each other. That was the first but certainly not the last time I would be in battle. He told me I did well on the guns but that I would be much better on the wheel, so every battle we were in since then, I was the captain of my father.

Offline Anchorshag

• Salutes: 1
    • [MEAN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of a Crewman
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:15:04 pm »
Nice story. In the third paragraph you use the word "alas" which is usually used negatively. I think you meant to use "At last" ?