Author Topic: Squid Love  (Read 41548 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Squid Love
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »
More vertical acceleration is all the Squid needs.
I like this. When I fly the squid I treat Helium like an ejector seat. I get stuck in with the squid, but when things get too hot I punch the helium and give my crew a few seconds to fix everything. Unfortunately sometimes I have a buff engine on my crew who thinks that my balloon needs to be buffed and I end up in the lower stratosphere.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 07:29:48 pm »
...I want to see that on a mobula.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2014, 08:56:31 pm »
Ballloons do need to be buffed on squids. The Hydro/Chute effect just isn't strong enough and with diminishing returns you only get about 1 solid hydro on full unbuffed balloon. With damage, diminishing returns set in and another hydro puts you so low that it just leaves you too vulnerable. But with buffed you get 2-3 as it counteracts the diminishing returns with weaker balloon.

Course you can solve a lot of the issues by just making it so that Hydro ignores weight and there is no diminishing returns with weakened balloons. Also the dmg Hydro inflicts is amplified with the ship's weight. That is the only hypothesis to explain why balloons die so fast when their HP totals tell a different story.

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2014, 09:20:33 am »
Make the squid hull 2 metres shorter so crew can get around on it quicker and is slightly harder to hit

Offline Kieran Kindree

• Salutes: 1
    • [CLX]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 02:42:33 pm »
Do we need every ship to be effective in competitive play?

Um...yes...

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 02:45:38 pm »
Necromancy yo. Lol.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2014, 10:59:36 am »
Necromancy yo. Lol.

Sure... Watching Fiasco Total and Puppy fur fly a squid makes me think it's in a good place right now. Much like the Goldfish I really think it comes down to how well you can support your ally.

Offline Ruairi

• Salutes: 6
    • [ƤƦ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2014, 11:32:03 am »
That's true it does come down how well you can support your ally although who/what you are flying against also has an impact. Especially considering the new changes to tar and the flamer which is something the squid uses to high effect, but also a very good counter due to the high stacks and difficult engineering demands. Bottom line is, I wonder with these new changes how will this effect the squid in future competitive play? :/

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 02:24:30 pm »
After a few flights yesterday, I'd say squid is in a pretty good place. It can get you pretty disabled with flame, but a brawler build can just wreck a flame squid if you know what you are doing. A mid range and a squid can do a disable and kill combo but that can be shut down by focusing on either the disabler or the kill ship. I saw double squid flame and that could take down individual ships like nobody's business, but they had to get in range and get balloon popping done as well. So yeah, I think it's doing alright.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2014, 01:50:15 am »
Flamer squid is not viable for competitive. Already tested it this week against good crews. Perma Chemming overpowers it. It is also very weak against flames on it's own due to engine placement and speed lost by every tiny tick of dmg. If the ship was faster like it used to be, maybe...

Carronades take too long and require the squid to be exposed. As it is right now it is too easy evade a squid and just blast it. Specially if it takes awhile trying to flame down a perma chemmed ship. The light carronade does not do enough dmg in one pass.

I've evaded flamer/carro squids all week then torched their engines and bombed them with mort. Its just too easy to down them. Ship isn't fast enough and it suffers huge diminishing returns on speed the moment the engines take any hits.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2014, 05:36:45 am »
So yeah this happend and reminded me how much i enjoy the squid.

Ok so there i was, flying along minding my own buisness thinking about coming off the game to watch firefly then BOOM Boogie appears behide And dares to fire at my royal Privateer squid.

I Pop Hydro while changing throttle to full reverse, then kero to give a boost hydro again to clear the impending ram. while scream erratically FRONT GUN SIDE GUN GET READY.. then smile :D,

9/10 The Target will now be under you and ahead, i resisted all urge to go forward instead Turn left* Still reversing so it is like a 3 point turn, Use claw if needed.

Using all 3 guns to continusly fire while postioning myself to use rear arcs, now i was side by side in there blind spot,

Then woosh went forward full throtle,

They were poping kero reversing then claw right to get me in arcs i think :P.  i stuck to them like glue matching there turning with opposite and using the speed advatage to stay in the back right quater of the ship,

didn't take to long before they went down, if they did manage to get out of my piranha style attack, rinse and repeat Pop hydro then kero forward or back to keep out of the arcs, dodge and move then get tight and hug while laying in to the mid section like boxing ;).

This tatic might work with pyra also, though tweaking a little might be needed think more shark attack than piranha :).

I felt kind of epic, so i pressed f8 spawned another target and tryed again :P

But seriously have any of you guys got any good Squid stories or tales of battle that made you think YEAH!!!! THAT WAS F&?*ING Epic.

I Would Love to hear them.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2014, 09:16:02 am »
But seriously have any of you guys got any good Squid stories or tales of battle that made you think YEAH!!!! THAT WAS F&?*ING Epic.

I Would Love to hear them.

Sure. Any time I've won with it in competitive play.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2014, 09:55:14 am »
I am a squid with barely to no engines left. I have impact bumpers. Pyra rams me. I win.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 05:31:34 pm »
Engine rebuild times are pretty horrific. That was another thing they changed, then sorta fixed. Still feels bad tho.

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2014, 06:21:58 pm »
I think squid could use a very slight improvement to it's vertical movement. Other then that a version of tar that is much more friendly to engines would be good for the squid even if the tar is weaker. That tar change nerfed squid by a lot for me personally. Is was fine before. Good competitive ship.