Author Topic: Squid Love  (Read 41549 times)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Squid Love
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 11:10:59 am »
Well with galleon and pyra (the two slowest turning ships) they both turn faster than the squid can run around them (when using phoenix claw). I often use a little boost of kerosene to keep the chase going, but after a short bit of this they figure out that they can change directions faster than I can (squid has a lot of momentum), and just turn the ship the other way.

The story changes a bit for the galleon if you try to stick to popping his balloon and sitting over them, but if they do manage to get some shots on you before you can start sinking them, it quickly becomes a bad situation for the squid.

Overall the squid is a really risky choice, and the reward for doing well with it isn't all that great.

Personally I go with a murder squid and bring a gat or flamer and a mortar. Trying to squat on a ship by breaking their balloon and such takes waaay too long, and often results in their ally coming to the rescue. The flamer can be  a great choice, unless they bring chem spray, at which point you might as well be throwing flowers at them. The gat works better at stripping the hull down, but has smaller turning angles so it's harder to use at the same time with your side gun, and much less versatile than the flamethrower.

In theory you should easily be able to get a double artemis going, or even possibly a hades-artemis combo. But then you're stuck at that range, and the ship's sudden movements make it harder to use with long range weapons. Especially if you go for precision aiming at components.

Offline Ruairi

• Salutes: 6
    • [ƤƦ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 11:23:01 am »
In my personal opinion after flying both disable and kill squids, the most frustrating issue is the ability for engineers to effectively keep the engines in good condition. (Especially when you are attempting to use the bifecta) As a result of this the moment one engine becomes significantly damaged or disabled the ability for the squid to continue the engagement in considerably reduced, in addition to this its ability to effectively escape is also hampered...

If the squid was to receive any adjustment I would recommend either making the lower engines in particular more accessible for repairs or increasing the health of the engines as a simple but small alteration. (The later option may have repercussions with rebuild time however... xD) Or in a more extreme adjustment perhaps even a slight increase in acceleration or manoeuvrability...

P.s. Gun arcs shouldn't be tampered with as one of the strengths of the squid is the alternate bifecta.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 11:27:05 am »
I think we need N-Sunderland to teach a parkour class.

Offline Ruairi

• [ƤƦ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 11:30:41 am »
Parkour certainly works, but in the off chance you catch a Hwacha volley or a few burst Artemis to the engines... good luck! Cos you'll certainly need it... Especially when against experienced players!

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 11:35:00 am »
...the squid doesn't really need a faster top speed as much as it needs a higher acceleration rate...

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 11:38:52 am »
I can't imagine a gat flame setup working in competitive play.

I didn't mean using gat and flamer together. I was talking front gun options.

The ability to hit the top engines from the bottom decks  with a jump would be swell. I will say that.

You cant use too many tools involving engines on a squid else you basically kill yourself. Buffing does wonders over tools, and people really need to get off their tar fixation on squids...

A side gun I rarely see used is the banshee, which im not sure why. It brings fire and explosive with great arcs. Sure its slower than a mortar, but much easier to sustain.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 11:42:27 am »
Zill, you can hit the engines from the bottom  decks, just jump on the railing and hit them from there (with jumping I believe)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 11:46:16 am »
I meant without all the added acrobatics, lol.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 11:51:26 am »
Actually you can without acrobatics. As you head towards the back engine, look up, jump, and click. You will hit the top engine on the way to the back engine.
It isn't as easy as the pyramidion, and trying to rebuild from that angle isn't worth it, but keeping things repaired is pretty easy.

Offline Ruairi

• [ƤƦ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 12:00:44 pm »
but keeping things repaired is pretty easy.

When out of combat sure! But under fire?! That's an entirely different scenario... Considering that the slightest error on the squid pilots behalf and the armor can be stripped in seconds, engines can go down or be crippled in the blink of an eye... not to mention somewhat often fatal lag spikes resulting in nasty crashes... xD

Put simply I believe the squid becomes quite difficult to repair effectively when things don't exactly go to plan...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:02:27 pm by Ruairi »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 12:25:23 pm »
Ok so let me totally clear then with what I meant. Making it so all you have to do is either look up and jump or just plain look up to rebuild/repair an engine from any angle below it would be nice.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 12:57:08 pm »
improved gun arcs.
nerf phoenix claw.
this.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 01:49:58 pm »
You can hit the upper engines from the lower engine area, but the total repair time for all engines isn't all that improved. You have the option to hit:

-Hit a side engine, hit the middle engines, run to the final engine (slowest, safest)
-Hit a side engine, run to the middle engines, jump to the last engine (fast, unsafe)
-HIt a side engine, jump and smack a middle engine, run to the other side engine and hit it, jump and smack the last middle engine (moderate, safe)

Overall this is one of the slowest engineer routes for engines, you can even get the mobula engines faster (the slowest is probably a junker, but you can divide your forces better on a junker). Which is kind of hard on a ship that really relies on it's engines and pilot tools so much. One of the reasons the pyra is so powerful is because it's components are incredibly close together, allowing intense amount of abuse to the components.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 02:59:46 pm »
The nerfs of singular close range options over the patches has put squid in a bit of an odd spot. I do believe better vertical acceleration could be an interesting option. As a ship though it can do stupid things no other ship can do. For example I was once flying a squid with mines on the back. One more kill to win. Guy is almost down but no way to finish. I start closing distance and then am hit with a brilliant idea. RAM MY OWN MINE! I hit the kerosene, he's almost out of mine range, I crash into it and KABLOOM! Match is won. I love the squid in the city.

Offline snor-laxatives

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 03:06:53 pm »
Why not take the two top deck engines and combine them into one main engine like on the other ships (i know this is special to the squid, so before rage begins let me finish).  Putting that engine in place of the back gun may allow us to move the back gun to one of the engine spots, pointed back, but with a slight angle toward the side.  This way, obtaining a bifecta is now easier, but only on the back two guns.  Just an idea.

I think that would help the squid keep its hit and run, and movement based tactics, without messing with the ship as a whole.  Although the more I think about it that may just make repairing all of the engines harder not easier...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:08:49 pm by snor-laxatives »