Author Topic: Feedback and a suggestion  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Supimpa

• Salutes: 8
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
Feedback and a suggestion
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:01 am »
Hi o/,

I've been playing guns of icarus for almost a month now and despite a few problems (lag spikes, crashes etc) it's been a very enjoyable experience. This is my first time posting in these forums and english is not my first language, so please bear with me.

When i started playing guns of icarus my first impression was that all the fun in the game was relegated to gunners. Playing an engineer felt like a boring job and the slow ships i had tried as a pilot didn't impress me at all.

My opinion about engineers quickly changed as i learned more about how the game works. Although playing an engineer still feels more or less like a 'job', it becomes more rewarding when you realize the importance of the role and the impact of a good (or bad) engineer in the crew.

The Pilot remained as an undesirable class, until i decided to give the squid a try. I was completely astounded by its amazing speed and agility and how it required so much more control and finesse compared to any other ship. Flying a squid became my favorite thing to do in the game, it was the only ship that offered the challenge I was expecting from the pilot class and after becoming decent with it, flying all the other ships had become a dull and not so exciting activity.

On the other hand, the more i played with the squid the more i became aware of it's weaknesses to the point that today (with a little bit over 80 hours played as a pilot), I almost never dare choosing a squid in a game with experienced players, it feels almost as a liability to the team, and that any other ship can contribute more to the team than the squid.

I think the amazing acceleration, max speed, turn speed etc don't come even close as to offset the tremendous squishiness of the squid. Even when you outplay the other captain, it takes a long time to destroy a ship with a decent crew, during that time the enemy ship may manage to hit the squid a few times, forcing it to retreat or their ally may come to the rescue.

When my adversary is flying a squid I feel pretty safe (assuming both os us have a good crew), because I know all i need is the lucky phoenix claw skill to completely neutralize any attack attempts. I read somewhere that the squid used to be more on par with the other ships in the past, and that some nerfs to the hull and some weapons took place because muse wanted it to become a support ship. That is kinda sad (if it's true).

The junker and spire also feel underperforming when compared to a pyramidion and goldfish respectively. It appears that playing anything other than a pyramidion, goldfish or galleon is a disavantage.

Anyway, my thoughts are all over the place, this feedback is almost turning into a balance suggestion, changing the subject...

I'd like to suggest the implementation of a guided tutorial for new players, that would load before the player joins his first game with each class. Something similar to the practice map but with scripted steps that would present the player to the most basic stuff.

For example, you could damage the hull armor and have a text pop up explaining why the mallet would be a better option than the shifting spanner, then destroy the hull armor and have another pop up explain why the shifting spanner would be more effective. For the gunner, you could have a junker equipped with weapons of different damage types, and explain the damage types, and maybe some of the ammo types.

Nothing too fancy, just some basic information. I think that would be a good thing for the new players AND the veterans (having someone who is playing the game for the first time join your crew during a match can be a very frustrating experience to both the new player and the veterans). Making sure the new player has a basic understanding of the game can alleviate the problem.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:21:39 am by Supimpa »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback and a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:29:11 am »
I like your suggestion and there has been a lot of talk about how to get new players into a learning environment so they aren't suddenly destroyed by experienced players.

I'm also glad you decided to come over to the forums and experience the larger community, and I encourage you to pull some of the people you play with to get over here as well.

I also want to say your English was easy to understand and even if you think you went off topic, I was able to follow along without any problems.
The many points you do bring up have almost all been discussed at some time or another.  If you have the patience for it, dig through the forum a bit and find some of those conversations and add your opinions and observations to the current dialogue.  Every bit of constructive thinking helps.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
Re: Feedback and a suggestion
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:44:11 am »
A quick reply to tutorial/guides... it's something we always wanted to do.  And this is something I keep repeating over and over, and I don't want people to get the wrong idea, but the truth of the matter is that we don't have enough resources to get scripted tutorials in any time soon.  We're busy squashing bugs and improving performance.  That's the price of having a small team: we get to do a lot of creative things but are soon inundated with things that need to be fixed and all our times is now shifted and attention is shifted dramatically.

We've tried to do a lot with our Practice mode and allowing you to damage your own ship, turn AI on and off, etc...  Our community is also very good about teaching others.  I think that's where we really won.  I'm proud of our community in that respect.

We have ideas for what we can do with more scripted sequences for tutorial and challenges but it's just a matter of when we get to them.  You're right in that we really need something like that... but at the end of the day when match end crashes the game... well.... :P

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in our Q&A sections and either a dev or player will get back to you promptly.

Goddamnit I want something like Pilotwings 64 where you fly through stupid rings.  I would so many achievements out of that.

Also, we're running a Kickstarter for the next phase of the project: Adventure Mode.  It's going to be more RPG-like with missions to influence economies and towns.  Check this thread for details and updates before we launch this week.

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,346.0.html