Author Topic: My thoughts on the Current Galleon and where it sits  (Read 27561 times)

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on the Current Galleon and where it sits
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 03:38:19 pm »
And yes, galleon is heavily reliant on its teammates, but sometimes you have to fend for yourself in some situations.
In the same respect, your ally should be heavily dependent on you. Sometimes a galleon just needs to ignore whatever is attacking it and focus its fire on whatever target their ally is attacking. Galleons can take enough damage to be able to safely ignore heavy focus and deal out double team damage on one opponent so their ally can return to help. However, in order for this to work, your ally has to fight at an appropriate altitude for you to provide assistance, and you need to have weapons that can provide assistance. This is why hades-lumberjack-heavy flak is a solid left side combo. Even if your balloon has been taken out, you can provide solid support to your ally and get a quick kill so your ally can help you sooner.

The Waddling is currently running double galleons, and I will be the first to admit that it is terrifying to face. They consistently place themselves in positions where focusing, and even getting in the blind spot of, one galleon leaves you completely vulnerable to absurdly fast death from the other. It took me a long time to start learning the power of heavy flak (oh, close to 1000 games...) but when it works, it works beautifully.

But yes, you need a crew who can handle it.

Similarly, you shouldn't take a squid with a newbie crew. There are some decisions that just don't make too much sense. It unfortunately limits what you can do in pub matches, but you can only expect so much out of pub matches.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:41:52 pm by redria »

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 09:12:42 pm »
No idea what you guys are doing to win matches with the galleon, even with the best shooters in the game, teamwork, and good positioning the useless ship cannot do anything.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 09:31:15 pm »
The Galleon is extremely viable at high level play. The paddling used it for 8 months successfully and competitive teams still win with it to this day.

That being said it requires 8 good players to make it work. Both ships need to be full of capable and talented players, but when that happens, it's still a beast.

New players trying to learn the heavy weapons with a non supoerting ally however make it a floating casket.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 02:46:49 am »
That was before Art spam, during a time before flames were semi fixed, and before heavy weapons received more nerfs like excessive jitter/etc.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:21 am »
Someome made a suggestion earlier of decreasing the rebuild time for heavy guns.

Currently you have both the galleon and goldfish on the lower part of the pecking order very much due to gun disables and the subsequent long rebuilds.

I think this is definitely a mechanic worth looking into. Heavy weapons can be crippled in a way light weapons cannot. Ships give up a lot in order to have heavy gun slots, currently the heavy weapon ships are struggling since this advantage is so easily being denied.

I agree with this.

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 04:07:49 am »
Threw up an idea in another thread about adding a defensive buff tool, theoretically an item like it would make it easier to keep parts up in a galleon, helping remedy one of the big issues for the ship.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 11:29:39 pm »
All hwacha galleon with burst rounds is OP if it gets the first hit in a close range map. It's hilarious to use.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 10:41:16 pm »
I entirely disagree. Galleon is my most flown ship in pub matches and I've been having great success with it. I run asymmetric lj flak artemis, hwacha carronade , flare. Even inexperienced crews have lead me to victory after some rudimentary verbal instructions before the match starts, how to cross reference the lumberjack sight with the map etc. (I don't have a microphone)
All I do is park it in the right place and turn it slightly, It's merely a question of how thoroughly you explain what to do to your crew (and ally).

If you don't use the big guns they're not gonna shoot the big guns and they're not gonna get better at shooting the big guns.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:43:38 pm by GeoRmr »