Author Topic: Reunion  (Read 4483 times)

Offline Yiski

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 42
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Reunion
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:26:27 pm »
- ONE YEAR AFTER DYNASTY -

Since the start of the Age of Dynasty, guilds are now the main driving force for much of the world’s economy. Some guilds deal solely with trade. Others may provide protection to those traveling through areas once guarded by the major factions, but now overrun with bandits and their ilk. Others still make a living organizing raids on towns or well-traveled trade routes, or lend their services to the major factions for jobs of a low key nature. Whatever needs one could come up with, there is always a guild willing to fill that need. However, not all guilds are prosperous and fall victim to various circumstances. Those members lucky enough to survive are able to find a living elsewhere. The not-so-lucky are a part of a growing number of airship graveyards scattered across the world. This is a tale of a lucky one.

The Northern Air Fleet (NAF) has had a nice reputation since before the Age of Dynasty. Operating within the Anglean Republic, NAF enjoyed the work provided by the Republic’s government and by the local governances, mostly in the form of mercenary work. Despite being considered one of the smaller guilds, its size allowed for efficient management. Add to it their veteran crew aboard a wide assortment of airships under their flag, and would-be bandits are soon cursing NAF’s name.

All of this changed when entering the Age of Dynasty. The Republic was now concentrating its military forces for the purpose of raiding other factions’ ships far beyond the Republic’s grasp. This in turn made most of the contracts given out by the Republic, and local towns, raid missions. While NAF could easily take on the common bandits, hitting foreign faction trade ships called for more power than the clan had available. In addition, with the sudden drop of the Republic’s fleet, there were increased raids within the Republic’s borders which also threatened NAF.

With the ever increasing worry of dissolution, or worse, destruction by a large bandit raid, Lehran calls for a meeting with his closest officers to discuss the future of the guild aboard the NAF’s goldfish Flagship Razgriz docked in Tamblair. Aboard the Leviathan, the men meet within the commander’s quarters. They are seated at a spacious table with papers ranging from the local news, to finance reports and bandit sightings.

[Lehran]
“I assume you know why I called this meeting today?”

The question is met by unanimous nods around the table. Starting from Lehran’s left is Metal Man, Norwegian Wolf, and Null.

[Lehran]
“Good. As we all know, recent events have put a strain on our operations. We’re in danger of going into the red or worse. I’ve called this meeting in order to find out how you feel about our situation.”

[Metal]
“Frankly, I’m surprised we lasted this long. Would have thought by now those bandits would’ve done us in.”

[Null]
“Good thing for you that I managed to keep us alive.”

[Wolf]
“Lehran, why can’t we just become a part of the Republic’s fleet? Sure, they’re a bit thick-headed, but wouldn’t that solve our problems?”

[Lehran]
“Short-term yes. Long-term no. Joining the Republic would help, but then we’d pick up the Republic’s reputation of being aggressive raiders and would probably be shot at immediately if we ever leave Republic airspace.”

[Wolf]
“Right…”

[Metal]
“Then I suppose you have a solution in mind?”

[Lehran]
“I do. I suggest we incorporate ourselves into Zill’s Merry Men.”

Lehran’s suggestion is met with silence. At first, Lehran was expecting the worst, but noticed that each of their expressions meant that they were seriously considering the option. A year ago, Lehran would have never dreamed of giving up his clan to another, but those were different times. Lehran and NAF in general were also on good terms with many of the Merry Men’s higher ups, occasionally teaming up for joint missions or being loaned a few members. Though initially wary of MM’s reputation for pirating, Lehran eventually saw MM as a jack-of-all-trades type of guild. Lehran’s train of thought broke when Wolf spoke.

[Wolf]
“I’m not too fond of the idea, but given their resources and connections, I don’t have much reason to oppose it either.”

[Metal]
“I’m okay with this.”

[Null]
“Same here.”

The group looked at one another before all giving a nod as to reaffirm their decision. The three looked to Lehran who nodded back.

[Lehran]
“Well, it looks like that’s settled. All we need to do now is…..”

*KNOCK KNOCK*

[Lehran]
*Chuckling* “I swear his timing seems almost impeccable.”

The door to the commander’s quarter was opened and within the doorway stood Zill. He was flanked by Shinkurex and Yiski. Suffice it to say, everyone, except for Lehran, was surprised those three would make their way across the world to see them. Zill took a look at their confused faces and smirked underneath his eternal mask.

[Zill]
“Hope we’re not late.”

[Lehran]
“You’re a little early actually.”

[Yiski]
“Kinda surprised. Thought all the extra ice we gained was going to slow us down.”

[Zill]
“Probably didn’t help that Shink’s spire caught the attention of every single murder-loving bandit.”

[Shink]
“Not my fault.”

[Everyone]
“Yeah it is.”

[Zill]
“So did you guys decide already?”

[Lehran]
“We did. Here’s hoping you’ll have us.”

[Zill]
“Of course. Having a few extra ships and men always helps. Even better when they’re friends.”

[Yiski]
“I suppose celebrations are in order then? We brought some of my brews with us. And before I forget, I’ve got some gifts for your ships.”

[Metal]
“What kind of gifts?”

Yiski didn’t reply. All he gave was a wide grin from ear to ear. While the new members of the Merry Men had confused expressions, Shinkurex and Zill knew full well what “gifts” Yiski brought.

All across the Republic, Anglean bandits were used to the extreme cold of Anglea, but they all suddenly felt a shiver of dread go down their spines.