Author Topic: The New Gunner Tutorial  (Read 8814 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
The New Gunner Tutorial
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:41:37 am »
If any of you have played games like CS:GO, you'll notice they have a tutorial level where you can try out guns and see what each does differently on a firing range setup.

Proposal is simple. Instead of a tutorial level on an airship, we have one in a firing range. Could even theme it to a particular nation if you like. But give it a voice over from an instructor. Maybe like Gunney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwjHhJdhY0I

Each space on the range has a different gun mounted. Now you could make it more interesting and say have the range set on the docks of one of the world's ports. With target panels or balloons set up depending on the mount.

On initial stepping into the area, the instructor briefly goes over the different types of damage weapons do. Then when you go up to a weapon and mount it, the instructor's voice chimes in, tells you what it is and what it does. Then it allows you to shoot and see the results. If you target the wrong part of the target, the instructor berates you a little. If you hit your mark and kill the target, he praises you.

Could mix it up and have ships passing in the background, then if you hit one you get some different vocals as the instructor loses his marbles. Maybe end quote can vary but one could be like..."Alright fine, keep shooting the ships. I'll admit when I go golfing I like the try to hit the little kid in the cage picking up the balls on the range."

Sure not everyone will do it, some will ignore it. But if you give them some goofy gag vocals where you can make an instructor lose their marbles then people will want to run it just to see that.

Offline Dolphirus

• Salutes: 5
    • [DWG]
    • View Profile
Re: The New Gunner Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:00:59 am »
Good lord... why isn't this a thing?

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 04:54:22 am »
I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening. Why hasn't this happened already? A similar concept for improved tutorials could be applied to the other tutorials as well, making them more interesting and fun.

EDIT: Hell, I guess I could list my ideas now while I can still edit this and I have them.

Pilot Tutorial: Similar to what it is right now, but use a special tutorial map similar in concept to the Gunner Tutorial mentioned here, with the Pilot able to "dock" the ship and switch to another one of the ships in the game, letting them learn the differences in each ship so they can get a better handle on the ones that interest them.

Engineer Tutorial: Again, similar in concept, except now you're moving around on a dock with multiple different ships learning the different ship layouts and getting tips for Ship Parkour and things like that, which is a necessary Engineer Skill.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:04:16 am by Milevan Faent »

Offline Jereven

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:34:01 pm »
Pilot Tutorial: Similar to what it is right now, but use a special tutorial map similar in concept to the Gunner Tutorial mentioned here, with the Pilot able to "dock" the ship and switch to another one of the ships in the game, letting them learn the differences in each ship so they can get a better handle on the ones that interest them.

Engineer Tutorial: Again, similar in concept, except now you're moving around on a dock with multiple different ships learning the different ship layouts and getting tips for Ship Parkour and things like that, which is a necessary Engineer Skill.

This doesn't even need to be that complicated.  Just alter the Sandbox controls to add a hotkey to change ships (likely handled by self-destruct + respawn as next ship type)

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »

This doesn't even need to be that complicated.  Just alter the Sandbox controls to add a hotkey to change ships (likely handled by self-destruct + respawn as next ship type)

Of course it doesn't need to be that complicated, but it would be more interesting to actually have an area to run around.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 05:47:56 pm »
Aesthetics! Glorious Aesthetics!

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »
i like this idea, atm i have to go into sandbox place a target fly backwards to a range tht is challanging then start firing not to mention stop to alter the ship *sigh* good idea +1

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 01:01:15 am »
It may work with COOP/AM too. I imagine even that is going to need something to teach people what to do. Something with voiced character showing you the ropes would probably be good.

Oh, if there is a pilot tutorial...I want it to be like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1q-IlxGrk
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:04:36 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline C. Darwin

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 12:28:44 pm »
This is an excellent idea!  ;)

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 06:08:00 pm »
The 'firing range' could just be a ship that is 'on rails' and does flybys of the target range, configurable from not moving to fast flybys.

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 06:27:06 pm »
Tutorials for the guns would be amazing. Enough said.