Author Topic: Ship orders  (Read 8680 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Ship orders
« on: February 13, 2014, 06:23:54 pm »
Playing with PUG crews quite often. I realize I am typing the same load out instructions over and over. Usually ammo requests and occasionally engineering specifications. I would like to enter these specifications in one time and be able to hotkey the message for my crew. For each ship I would like to type a few lines of text to describe what each crew position needs and then be able to quick insert that text into crew chat. It would save me and possibly many other players a lot of time in the lobby. Also if the ship text could display under the ship while a crew member is examining it, it would allow people to get load out instructions without relying on the scrolling lobby chat.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship orders
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:33:40 pm »
Wouldn't a functional copy&paste in the chat be enough?

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:48:43 pm »

C/P requires actively putting in the information every time the crew changes. Being able to post it in a spot where it shows up when the ship is hovered over makes it automatic, and eases the job of both captain and crew.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:04:41 pm »
True enough, but I would have to keep an open text file running in the background with all my ship descriptions, and shift focus between applications.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:20:13 am »
I'd like to be able to specify a recommended crew loadout in the shiploadout menu that can be looked at by crew-members in the lobby.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:11:10 am »
Idea isn't bad, but the issues is that the needs of diferent capatins and diferent tactics require diferent crew positions and diferent things from those positions.
I'm pretty sure nobody else flies junker the way I play it - or at least attempt to, I don't have a regular crew - I am a ragular gre (difirence is wether or not you are the captain).

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:35:31 am »
Think what would be even better is if the lobby would have another option on creation where pilots can preset their crew's loadout. Don't even have to mess with telling them or anything like that, they join and they instantly loadup the proper loadout. If they choose to change it after that then that is up to them but it would save a heck of a lot of time and give pilots much better crews.

It would be an option in the ship loadout screen. You go into there and on the side is a tab where you can preselect the entire loadout for each ship and choose whether to turn on that feature or not.

This would do wonders to reduce lobby wait times as so often they are held up because someone is trying to select loadouts or give out orders. So just skip all those steps and give the pilot full control.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:25:45 am »
This would do wonders to reduce lobby wait times as so often they are held up because someone is trying to select loadouts or give out orders. So just skip all those steps and give the pilot full control.

If it were to be done that way, a pop-up would be needed to let people now it happened.

While I won't argue about what way is best, I agree that something to streamline the "please take x" process in lobbies would make them move astronomically faster.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05:42 pm »

If it were to be done that way, a pop-up would be needed to let people now it happened.

While I won't argue about what way is best, I agree that something to streamline the "please take x" process in lobbies would make them move astronomically faster.

The lobby wait times will be changed as soon as Matchmaking is added, when the wait time is completely removed, and you don't spend 30 minutes waiting for a team to form. Teams will be made and games launched within a minute or two of starting. So as far as this making it go faster, the game will already be sped up dramatically by the current plans for the game.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »

The lobby wait times will be changed as soon as Matchmaking is added, when the wait time is completely removed, and you don't spend 30 minutes waiting for a team to form. Teams will be made and games launched within a minute or two of starting. So as far as this making it go faster, the game will already be sped up dramatically by the current plans for the game.

Maybe.  You will still need to replan your loadout after you are matched against a new opponent and on a new map.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 12:57:44 am »
Would you like a side of chem spray with your ship order?

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 04:22:20 pm »
As a captain who likes to micromanage I like Guilder's idea. However as a person well versed with the ingenuity of trolls I see an exploit that is waiting to happen. Troll joins a lobby as a captain, swaps all the engineers to buff, chem, extinguisher. When the match starts he abandons the ship leaving the crew to suck and die.

The crew has precious little agency in this game. Robbing them of the ability to set their load out reduces their agency even further.