Author Topic: Map wish: The Heights  (Read 14732 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Map wish: The Heights
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:57:30 pm »
I believe this image sums this wish up nicely.

Credit

Obstacles: None (or perhaps a giant, unmoving artifact dirigible or two, AKA, the reason ships come here, possible King of the Hill or CK reason)

Floor: None. Boundary wind blows you back up.

Layout: This map is not very tall, and is divided into thirds. The middle third is clear sky, while the top and bottom thirds are dense cloud. Nothing to hide behind but water vapor and hope.

Play: Ships spawn in the upper or lower cloud layer, and stealth around before popping up/down to attack/capture a point.

Optional fun that can't be done because the mechanics don't currently support it: randomly placed invisible mines in the cloud layers that explode with a bight blue flash and damage everything on your ship and give away your location for a second along with the invariable shout of "God damn lightning!" from the pilot.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Map wish: The Heights
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:03:00 pm »
I actualy tought of this before, but the ships being airships does not help the fact that they cant possibly go that high. But would be nice to have a SUPER high feeling.

I never really got a scare of heights from this game, maybe because of the ground not being as detailed as it should be. But a map that makes you wanna not fly any higher would be so nice to have. Like, srsly this is a map Goio needs.

Would be great excuses for Chutevent or Hydrogin. Or both.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:26:10 am »
Give us the old Hydro/Chute back...you can have a map like this.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:28:34 am »
A fun little bug in Devapp reminded me of this thread, and I had to muck about with making some simulated reality of it. Enjoy.

(click me)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 06:14:46 am »
Well, any new map would be nice but Devs said that up to Co-Op release there will be none.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:49:22 am »
Would be nice to have a SUPER high feeling.

Northern fjords and go to the height ceiling, always gives me that feeling.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 03:13:27 pm »
and everyone explodes or internally bleeds to immense air pressure change as well as lack of atmosphere and deathly below freezing temperatures....

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 03:38:21 pm »
Well, perhaps an anomaly in the atmosphere that creates a zone of higher air pressure, allowing airships to attain the height.

At this height, a scattered, almost orbiting ancient technologies. Factions, especially Chaladonians and Angleans, claim fragments of airplanes, missiles.

Some say that sky whales resides in these heights...

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 03:55:47 pm »
It would not have to be that high. The lower layer could be low level fog type clouds similar to the ones we fly in currently. Anything under 4km would be fine.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 07:02:09 pm »
Grounding out and being blended would be uniquely affected by the horizontal wind boundary, making those tactics less effective.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with the physics of this. When a ship gets rammed into terrain the damage is either doubled or quadrupled due to the terrain pushing back at the same force as the ramming ship under ideal conditions.

If a ship is rammed against wind, and if the wind pushes the two ships together, I assume that would deal double the damage. So does ramming against terrain effectively deal 4x damage (ideal conditions)?

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 08:39:20 pm »
If a ship is rammed against wind, and if the wind pushes the two ships together, I assume that would deal double the damage. So does ramming against terrain effectively deal 4x damage (ideal conditions)?

That is a really interesting question...

Pushing a ship into terrain does damage from three sources - the ramming ship, the terrain, and the terrain pushing the ship harder/again into the enemy ship.

Pushing a ship against wind would take out the terrain source of damage. Against wind, you would only have the ramming ship and an added force pushing you against the ramming ship.

But from here on,.. I'm a little lost. I don't know how closely GOIO mimics real-life physics. And even if I knew, I wouldn't know enough real-life physics to answer.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 06:42:34 am »
Unity approximates normal physics pretty damn well, but the degree of implementation can be varied, along with the way it seems like something should logically act versus how it really acts. (See: earlier versions of the harpoon, mobula double harpooning, and pre-1.2 harpoon physics with squids. Also: Harpoon mechanics from 1.3.2 and earlier)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 01:58:50 am »
Still stuck on this wish. I did some image manipulations and came up with this as a more steampunk looking idea.

I also found out that dust clouds can, in fact, kill a ship all on their own. This changed my thoughts on how the map would work. Rather than ground or wind that blows you back up, there would be something similar to dust cloud layers under the normal clouds, only more damaging to hull and balloon than components. More like fire damage. The lower you got, the more damage you would take until it was unrepairable and you explode.

The interesting part is that it would be dangerous to pursue an enemy that low to make sure they stayed down.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 04:36:44 am »
Would there be any hard cover at all on the map? Maybe giant npc airships like in the picture, moving in a pattern?

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 07:53:13 am »
That is the idea, though most likely stationary. I threw those together out of a few other images and added them in (the original image is a clear sky with blueish clouds) to give a better idea of what I envision.