Author Topic: Captin Mark Mechanic Tweak  (Read 5428 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Captin Mark Mechanic Tweak
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:06:44 am »
Edit: For clarity I am not talking about the spyglass spotting mechanic but the captain mark ability to identify targets to your crew.

Is the main purpose of captain mark to make to identify targets when the captain does not have a microphone and balance their dissadvantage against microphone users?

If yes, please make captain mark toggle between marked ships rather than click to mark.

Things that prevent you marking ships by targeting and clicking include:
Parts of the helm hull and baloon being in the way preventing a mark, a cloud blocking the click to mark but the target is nevertheless spotted, extreme difficulty in marking when in third person mode, difficulty marking targets at great distances, and the dissadvantage to have to target things while simultaneously flying the ship. (forcing to look at the enemy when there may be other things you are trying to navigate)

Another mechanic I would like to see would be an indicator for a marked ship to show on the map.

Edit: Crafeksterty has made a really interesting suggestion for additional captain mark abilities to show ally captains who you are targeting, and possible a mark that would tell an ally captain who to marc.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:37:02 am by GeoRmr »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Captin Mark Mechanic Tweak
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 08:24:13 am »
Press B while looking at a ship to inform the people on your ship which ship to target without a mic.

Also, spotting should be the thing to reveal the ship on the map. It is a sight and positioning reveal advantage that the spyglass has.

If you are thinking about 2 captains showing who they are targeting. That i do not know.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 08:28:32 am »
Press B while looking at a ship to inform the people on your ship which ship to target without a mic.

Also, spotting should be the thing to reveal the ship on the map. It is a sight and positioning reveal advantage that the spyglass has.

If you are thinking about 2 captains showing who they are targeting. That i do not know.

You miss-understand, I am talking about tweaking the captain mark, (not the spotting mechanic) which is the B key.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:19:22 pm »
A thing that would help a bit is making the captain target a helm key.. so it can be bound to a mouse key and not conflict with the mouse keys anywhere else... It would be a lot easier to click a ship then it is to press B while also trying to fly.. (imo). I get though this means no captain mark if your not on the helm.. I think that's fine...

A toggle would be handy to though I would say it only goes to spotted ships. (we don't want it to cycle to a ship you may not have seen thus giving away someones ambush attampt)..

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 03:57:41 pm »
The CaptainTarget command is a pain to use (especially in 3rd person).  If it was toggle between ships I think it would have to only toggle between spotted ships otherwise the captain would be able to spam it to find the enemy instead of having the crew look for enemy ships.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 04:44:22 am »
I do mean for it to only toggle between spotted ships.