Author Topic: Tab lock down (Patch 3.5)  (Read 43210 times)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Tab lock down (Patch 3.5)
« on: February 04, 2014, 04:16:59 pm »
While I do like the fact that I can now mute people in match using the tab screen, now it locks down all action such as moving or clicking. Is this intended as it basically stops any engineer from being able to casually check who is in the lobby. Pressing tab is almost habitual for me while applying a buff or running across the ship and I hope this is not intended or necessary.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Tab lock down (Patch 3.5)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 04:42:19 pm »
Yeah, this, has been bothering me too. I often check to see who joins and leaves matches.

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:54:24 pm »
It is not a bug.  Essentially, in order to give you a mouse pointer (needed for mid-match block UI), we needed to change the input on that screen from "game" to "menu" mode.  We decided this was a worthy tradeoff.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:35 pm »
I'd say its not a worthy trade off. Being able to quickly see who is in the lobby without having to break game-play trumps being able to mute someone in game that you missed muting in the lobby. Is there no way to have a separate screen for it?

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 05:24:48 pm »
Once again, PLEASE require the user to click in the tab screen before taking away game controls and letting them interact with player list. It is so simple, all the cool shooter games do it this way and it works wonderfully.

I said this in the dev app thread too, assumed such a simple and obvious thing would be implemented without additional begging and moaning.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:27:04 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:35:10 pm »
Maybe have a separate button to bring up the mute screen? I have to say that it's been bugging me a lot too, as I often bring the Tab screen up as I'm running along the ship.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:47:17 pm »
I brought this up in the dev app thread as well, and completely agree. There's a reason that action games don't put mouse functionality on the in-game score screen, because it is incredibly annoying to lose control of your character when you're checking crews, checking for disconnects, ship names, etc. In that thread I proposed an alternative solution similar to how TF2 handles it, which I'll post here for the benefit of those not in testing:

"Just have big button that says "Mute Players" on the escape button screen, which displays a dialog with all the player names. That way you don't need to destroy existing functionality as it does now."

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 06:04:09 pm »
Isn't it possible to forward the user input to both - the score menu and the actual game?
The worst thing that can happen is an unintended shot - if you call the menu from a gun or an unintended character turn. I'd prefer that behavior over not being able to interact with the actual game from the score menu at all. Especially as a pilot I often take a brief glance at whom I'm facing - often while doing other stuff simultaneously (steering, item usage, voice chat).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:06:59 pm by Wundsalz »

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 06:15:31 pm »
Yeah, there are several reasonable suggestions here.  Personally, I like the "click to give mouse focus" compromise the best, but I don't get to decide this stuff unilaterally.  I'll make sure this is brought up internally, though.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:29 pm »
How about something simple like, Tab displays the old screen, shift+tab displays the ability to mute people?

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:19:22 pm »
How about something simple like, Tab displays the old screen, shift+tab displays the ability to mute people?
Shift+tab is the Steam overlay hotkey.

I don't think muting is such a frequent action that it requires a dedicated hotkey.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 08:28:17 pm »

I don't think muting is such a frequent action that it requires a dedicated hotkey.
Doesn't have to be shift tab, was just an example. Dunno what your problem with having a hotkey for it is when it would solve the problem quite well >.>

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 08:33:13 pm »

Doesn't have to be shift tab, was just an example. Dunno what your problem with having a hotkey for it is when it would solve the problem quite well >.>
Hotkeys only make sense for frequent actions, as otherwise you need to recall the unintuitive key combination each time a mute situation comes up.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 08:53:41 pm »
Although it was a little clunky, Chivalry had you press B to activate mouse in scoreboard.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 06:02:27 am »
+1 for click to gain mouse,

- or a bindable key