Author Topic: Range-Finder  (Read 27555 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Range-Finder
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 05:41:00 am »
I have made some lumberjack experiments with the range finder. Making the lumberjack much easier to shoot with. But all is needed is the distance. Il put up a guide soon however.

Still need a good ironsight for the heavy flak. That is also a difficult weapon to aim.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 10:56:49 pm »
Showing the range of the target is the best part of this tool. Can we let the gunner see the range too?

Offline zoffmode

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 11:56:40 pm »
Range Finders is actually handy to take as a pilot since you can zoom in with it while piloting and provide aiming while maneuvering, albeit with a smaller FOV.

I do think its usefulness is highly limited because it only helps the gunner and it doesn't even provide the distance by itself. It's a bit better if you're running 2 gunners, but that's usually an undesirable situation.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:58:17 pm by zoffmode »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 08:34:53 pm »
I'd really like the option to disable the annoying 'aim-assist' circle when manning a gun. It's hard enough trying to pop someone's balloon from 2km out without people projecting glowing dots all over the place and possibly blocking  my view of the target.

For people who know how to play the game, I would say the rangefinder is (somewhat counter-intuitively) most useful at ranges around 1km or less, with a special case for things like lochnagar lj/hf and carronades. Mostly, the guns that have projectile drop also have very long shell life, so it's less useful for those- it works best with guns that have no projectile drop (rockets, carronade pellets, gatling bullets).  The most frequent case is finding exactly when the enemy gets within the 1200m mark, so you can instantly open fire with the artemis and be sure to hit. You can look at the other guns' ranges on the website, and if they're wrong bug muse to update them.

The true sniper's mainstays- lj, h. flak, merc, possibly hades- all have very long shell lives along with substantial projectile drop, giving them virtually unlimited range. Rangefinder is unnecessary, but they do require substantial skill/knowledge to predict how the projectile will act once drop becomes a significant factor.

p.s. muse, if you want the rangefinder to work with the true sniper weapons, change the aim-assist UI from a circle into a single dot (like the one used in space sims such as Descent:FreeSpace), that very clearly says, "If you shoot in this direction/angle and both you and the enemy maintain current vectors, your shot will hit", instead of the current "You are pointed in the enemy's general direction. Here, have a circle around them in case you didn't notice". However, such a system will probably be difficult to implement because it will have to account for muzzle velocity, wind, projectile drop, ammo type, and the speeds of the origin and destination ships. A tool like that will also probably render all my hard-earned LJ sniping skill moot, but that's a different issue.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:47:20 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 03:25:46 am »
I cant totally agree ...
Yes the aim assist is quite useless imo but i really like the range call for my lj shots.
That way you can hit the enemy quite easy if you got the knowledge where to aim.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 07:06:07 am »
+1 for Omni's suggestion. I also still stand by my post for an option to disable the fancy spinning circle reticules and have a static cross-hair.

Semi-related slight de-rail, I would also like an option to enable fixed positional aiming (currently if your ship moves your cross-hair doesn't unless your gun has been dragged out of arc) to allow gunners to (semi-realistically) have some idea of how their own ship is moving (which you would if you were standing on it) when scoped in with no local point of reference, at the cost of more difficulty keeping the sight steady.

It seems silly that your avatar autonomously adjusts gun pitch and yaw for you on the fly.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:09:20 am by GeoRmr »

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 12:55:45 pm »
On the point about guns auto-rotating, I like to think that the guns have a steampunk gyroscopic adjustment system.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 03:24:08 am »
maybe there should be a option to toggle rangefinder indication on/off, if muse can make an option for this and bind it to G and/or bind it to UP on the D-PAD of an xbox controller. then make this editable in the options so we can bind it anywhere we want.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 12:01:23 am »
If the range-finder could mark a ship's distance and have the numbers be visible for the whole crew to see, then there'd be no use for the spyglass. Instead of using the ship's name as the indicator of where the vessel is in the distance, you would then just be firing based on seeing the numbers through the clouds, so now everybody knows where the vessel is and how far away it is; which would make the spyglass obsolete.

Then they could just rename the Spyglass "Name-Finder".

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 12:57:01 am »
that's not true because the range finder does not work through ships clouds or solid objects, but the spyglass does.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 01:38:50 am »
NO

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 03:17:05 am »
I can just speak for Galleon regarding through ship but sometimes it works to see the range through the ship.
And clouds work sometimes aswell.

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 05:39:18 am »
If the range-finder could mark a ship's distance and have the numbers be visible for the whole crew to see, then there'd be no use for the spyglass. Instead of using the ship's name as the indicator of where the vessel is in the distance, you would then just be firing based on seeing the numbers through the clouds, so now everybody knows where the vessel is and how far away it is; which would make the spyglass obsolete.

But rangefinder cannot put a box around enemy for the rest of the team to see. Maybe range should only appear once spotted with spyglass.
I use it as gunner of medium to long range ships to get rough idea on how high to aim or lead by

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 05:47:09 am »

But rangefinder cannot put a box around enemy for the rest of the team to see. Maybe range should only appear once spotted with spyglass.
I use it as gunner of medium to long range ships to get rough idea on how high to aim or lead by

That's fantastic............... The range-finder's HUD box containing the enemy ship's # distance should be visible for the entire crew once it is already spotted with the spyglass. That is teamwork.. that is synergy.. That is balance.. I believe that solves everything..
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:50:11 am by Grey-Wolf Jack »