Author Topic: Guns of Icarus Online App  (Read 24275 times)

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
Guns of Icarus Online App
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:03:06 am »
Imagine a Guns of Icarus Online App where one could sign into their own account and hop aboard a friend's or stranger's ship in control of an AI Engineer/AI Gunner using a simple touchscreen interface during a live PC match. You would see just a simple menu of the ship's component icons ranging from guns to engines to the hull and would be able to read the live feed game chat and send the AI Engineer or Gunner to wherever that captain may be ordering them too. This would be a good way to play the game from work without even being on a PC

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus Online App
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:49:59 am »
Hmm.... This concept intrigues me.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:30:34 am »
hmmm... maybe make a part of the screen show the score/optional buttons for crew/team/match chat or voice chat?

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:19:07 pm »
Am I one of the only ones who would like to have the ability to help out teammates from work?

Also - Macmacnick that's a great idea.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:20:54 pm by Grey-Wolf Jack »

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:21:29 pm »
I'd like the ability to help out teammates during my lunch break/during my more boring/full of teacher rant classes.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 01:58:12 pm »
I can only imagine the troll coming out of people taking over ai, as bad as they already are.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 04:40:22 pm »
I can only imagine the troll coming out of people taking over ai, as bad as they already are.

Yea, why are the AI hitting me in the face with spanners now?

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »

What would happen when it comes to trolling is the trolls would be sending the AI to gun instead of repair when the captain yells repair. It would be equally as devastating as regular PC public match trolls, slow AI crewmates, and powder monkeys that join mid-match, but there is always an expected risk.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:31:20 pm by Grey-Wolf Jack »

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 02:42:54 am »
There are some great things about this but bad things about this.

What will happen if an actual player joins the ship and the AI becomes unnecessary?
If the AI player decides not to do anything, what then will happen?
If AI player only gets on guns and disobeys every order, will you be able to kick them or do you have to tolerate it?

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 02:54:58 am »
even better: controlling your character via an interface (i.e tap to shoot/repair, 2 finger swipe to switch tools, when not mounted, tapping makes you use your tool, and swiping up quickly one time makes you jump.) *would work best with a phablet, tablet, or large touchscreen phone*

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:03:00 am »
But playing with tablet also means that you need to use a stable wi-fi connection. I dont know how strong your wi-fi is but will this not result in more people leaving games due to connection problems? also this game is started in steam, Do you have steam on you tablet?

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 03:51:17 am »
Playing GOIO via tablet or phone...the world goes: "YAY!!"

PC players go: "GTF OFF MY SHIP CELL PHONE BOY!"

Just sayin, it would happen.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:12:49 am »
Coldcurse, Simple: as the game initially requires a login separate from steam, you would use that to log in to your Guns of Icarus account, and play from there; also, the wifi connection would be as bad/good as it would be on a PC, sometimes better, as tablets (such as that new iPad) can sometimes have better connectivity receivers utilizing protocols such as 802.11n or 802.11ac, which some computers used these days still don't have, (or the routers) also, with the rise of 4G networks, connectivity on a phone/phablet/tablet with data plan is speedy, with an average of 3 megabits per second downstream, 1.5-ish megabits upstream amongst cellular carriers. This is faster than the typical broadband network, so connectivity is not an issue.

Gilder, there could even be some perks to using a tablet, such as reduced response time, as signals do not need to travel through blootooth/cables from a peripheral device (i.e a  keyboard/mouse) to reach the processor, thus lowering response time.

Anyways, we'd need a way to move around: I suggest an on-screen direction pad (similar to the type used in Minecraft: pocket edition) and voice commands shouldn't be needed, as almost all popular tablet models have built in microphones (usually bundled with a camera) and if that fails, maybe sliding with 3 fingers would bring up an option on the side to choose which channel to use for text chat, which could bring up an onscreen keyboard to type with.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 06:27:48 am »
Nah. On screen touch controls are usually pretty terrible. I've played FPS games with them on my iPod. They never work well at all. Never be as responsive as straight keyboard/mouse. Or even a gamepad.

Offline Dresdom

• Salutes: 15
    • [Don]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 11:32:43 am »
I think we aren0t talking about actually play GoIo as is, but play a kind of support role. You just choose some options to guide the AI (repair X, shoot Y, try spotting etc). There's no need for a pad, maybe just the map, the ship's blueprints and the orders menu.