Author Topic: Bad Depth perception?!  (Read 13634 times)

Offline Allien'

• Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Bad Depth perception?!
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:09:25 pm »
The other day I was piloting for the first time a Junker in a snipe match in Dunes (I know... What took me so long?!? -.- ). My junker has a standard build, Long range on the left (2 artemisis and a Hades in the bottom deck) and short range side on the right (Gatling+Mortar). I use the first person view to pilot and I try to take advantage of that as much as I can. In the Junker I found that I can position my camera so all my guns have an arc on the enemy and while doing that in-game I notice something weird. Depending on my camera angle the enemy ship was closer than it actually was, in matter of fact, so much it made me turn the ship to the short range side. Every one on board question that of course xD
I talked with some players about the issue and no one experienced the same so I went on sandbox and tried to recreate the events. I'll post the prints in pares, in the same positon, two with the map and two from a great distance. (Never posted something so I'll try my best :D )

Any opinions on it? :/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:39:04 pm by Allien' »

Offline Allien'

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Depth perception?!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:17:57 pm »
I've crop the pictures so I could upload, but still kept the left side as a reference.

Offline Allien'

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:18:34 pm »

Offline Allien'

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:20:11 pm »
And from a great distance:

Offline Allien'

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:30:39 pm »

Offline Dresdom

• Salutes: 15
    • [Don]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:48:02 pm »
I think your issue has to be with your monitor wide options. It seems like your image is flattened, like when you force to 16:9 a square image. Make sure your video options match your monitor resolution.

Offline Oliver Colt

• Salutes: 80
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 01:57:20 pm »
Well it has happened to me when I'm piloting that i see a ship and it looks like it's in range, so I turn the guns to it but the AI doesn't shoot, so I look again and I see the ship is too far away in no time. It could be me being a newbie or going too fast as I'm turning so I get arc but lose range so I haven't really payed attention to camera angles.

If anything, from those pictures I'd think maybe it's a peripheral vision kind of thing that the camera does, probably so it's more realistic and the graphics don't look all flat and such. I'm just guessing though :P

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 07:33:28 am »
please move this to hep and support.

also, maybe you have to change your screen resolution. both in-game and on your actual screen. try to fiddle around with your PoV.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 09:05:54 pm »
Looks sort of like a fish eye effect on the ship. Like the others said it might be your monitor settings.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 02:20:37 am »
Looks sort of like a fish eye effect on the ship. Like the others said it might be your monitor settings.
you know how to spell names...

Offline Oliver Colt

• Salutes: 80
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »
you know how to spell names...
how do you know huh? xD

Offline Tharnator

• Salutes: 4
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »
To me, it looks like what happens when you set the FOV too high. you get the fishbowl thing, the objects closer to the edge of the screen are stretched. Optimize the FOV and you can pilot normally

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 06:32:36 pm »
Fun fact: this is a known, universal effect of the way camera projections are simulated in 3D games.

It's aggravated, however, by higher-than-normal FOV and very wide aspect ratios.  Though we provide the option for wider-than-normal FOV in the Options menu, I really don't recommend messing with it unless you're one of those people who gets motion-sick at certain FOV values.

If you're on a 16:9 monitor, you're just stuck with a certain amount of this.

Offline Allien'

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 06:55:14 pm »
Well, of course I wouldn't post something like this without trying to better it by switching the options. This is the best i could get actually.
Thank you Watchmaker. Is just something I need to get use to :)