Author Topic: Completely new... Little help?  (Read 13208 times)

Offline GodotWaits

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Completely new... Little help?
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:06:59 pm »
Hi, all!

As in the subject line, I'm spanking new here. I'd like it if anyone would be willing to recommend some loadouts to use as presets for a beginner to get to terms with the game. I'm quick at picking things up, and reckon once I get a little nudge in the right direction I can become a valuable team-mate. In particular gunnery and engineering interest me. I'm not much for giving instructions to a crew, and would likely not be a welcomed pilot/captain with such little knowledge of this world so anything at all for the other two classes would be greatly appreciated!

Also, unfortunately this game isn't one my general gaming friends would be interested much in, no matter how convincing an argument I can make, so if anyone is willing to take me on board as a crew member, I'm free to do your bidding. My playing times would be between 6pm and 2am weekdays (Western European Time) and just about any time at weekends!

GodotWaits
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:13:09 pm by GodotWaits »

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
Re: Completely new... Little help?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »
All the load outs in the beginner lobbies are viable options in regards to what will work. Other tweeks are actually up to pilot preference. You'll learn them as you fly more ^.^

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:20:15 pm »
ok so first off welcome to the community second il list of my oppion of meta

Engineer-Loadout
Pilot tool-Spyglass
Engineering-Mallet-Spanner-extingusher
Ammo-burst (you should be told every game what ammo)

This applies to every ship except squid when it is a wrench over mallet, unless told by the captain on the ship to bring buff stay this loadout and you will go far :)

Gunner-Loadout
Pilot tool-Spyglass
Engineering-Wrench
Ammo-Heavy-Burst-Greased (this is the default manticore and mortor loadout probley the 2 most used guns in the game and covers the artimus for burst and gattling gun for greased) again you should be told by captain what ammo

Pilot
Pilot tools-Kerosene Claw hydrogen
Engineering-Wrench
Ammo-burst (first round i thought off doesnt matter your flying haha)

Ships
Pyra-Gattling gun top right mortar top left side guns mortar flare 2 engineers 1 gunner

Goldfish-Manticore front-gattling ether side 2 engineers 1 gunner

Junker-Artimus front hades artimus side left mortar gattling right side 2 engineers 1 gunner

Mobula-Hades middle artimus ether side top deck middle deck gattling gun mortar 2 engineers 1 gunner

squid- Carronade Front Flamer side Mine launcher rear- 3 engineers

Spire-manticore front main gun gattling gun side middle deck top deck merc and artimus 2 engineers 1 gunner

Galleon- manticore front 2 carronades rear 2 flamer main flare rear 2 engineers 1 gunner

Again this all my oppion but them are pretty standard loadouts nothing fancy to start off with next time you are in game go to social then CA and ask any one on that list with any questions and if they have time to help you practice or train also global chat is normally really friendly with experinced players always willing to teach new guys. hope this helps good luck

Offline GodotWaits

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »
Wow, thanks for the quick reply, Goldenglade! EDIT: and Grey T :D

Are those loadouts the default ones? I know that it's the pilot's preference in the end, which is a nice feature. I just wasn't sure what a good variety would be. So far I've only perused the menus to familiarise myself with the layout. Itching to get into a game, just wanted to be sure I don't let my team down! :)

GodotWaits

Offline GodotWaits

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:25:00 pm »
Disregard the previous post!

I'll take Grey T's advice for learning and dive right in!

Thanks welcome and help folks, glad to be here :D

GodotWaits

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:30:43 pm »
your welcome  i forgot to mention in novice games you can not change loadout and you will be out of novice when you reach level 4 however... novice is not compulsory you can join any game then mess around with loadouts

Offline GodotWaits

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:38:45 pm »
Brilliant!

Thanks for the help :)

GodotWaits

Offline Jereven

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:43:45 pm »
Some other tips:

* Every weapon is unique, and different weapons are best against different parts of the ship.  A mortar doesn't do much against a ship that has hull armor up, but it's pretty impressive against the hull when the armor is down.  Sometimes this means don't take a shot until the time is right.

* Spanner for rebuild, mallet for repair.  The one exception is if a component is only slightly damaged -- 1 or 2 spanner hits to top it off is a shorter cooldown than 1 mallet hit.

* If your hull or balloon are actively taking damage in addition to any fire they might have, it's usually better to repair first rather than extinguish first if the number of fire stacks is small. 

* Chemspray is only as good as your ability to keep it up.  Sometimes it's better to refresh chemspray on a damaged component and then repair it on the next pass.  If your current role doesn't allow you to reliably chemspray, an extinguisher is usually better.

* When you do start piloting, don't be afraid to use your pilot tools.  A decent crew can repair through Kerosene and Phoenix Claw indefinitely if they aren't being stressed with other damage sources, and being able to keep your guns on arc can be the difference between getting a kill and being a kill.

* When you start piloting, remember that there's 3 other people on your ship that can use a Spyglass or a Rangefinder.  Only you can use the other tools.  Don't waste the slot.

* It is never possible to keep everything repaired at the same rate you're taking fire when you're taking the brunt of an assault.  Sometimes knocking out an enemy ship's guns, balloon or engines is what you need to do to reduce incoming damage or allow an escape.  This is especially the case if you are the gunner, not an engineer.

* There's very rarely a reason for two engineers to ever be waiting around the same component.  One notable exception is when you're expecting it to be broken and want to rebuild it as fast as possible.  If your hull is taking heavy fire and it looks like it will drop before the cooldown finishes, by all means wait by it.

* Likewise, there's very rarely a reason two engineers should be running over the entire ship like madmen.  Time spent running from one end of the ship to the other is time you could be spending repairing/rebuilding other components, buffing something, refreshing chemspray on something, or shooting a gun.  Work with your other engineer if your captain doesn't coordinate for you to ensure you each know what parts of the ship you are responsible for, and trust the other engineer to handle their job unless they ask for help or it's obvious.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.

* Learn the various ship layouts.  Learn the various shortcuts and tricks.  On a Pyramidion, you can repair the center engine from the bottom, and you can jump from the top to be next to the hull.  Most other ships have similar tricks.  Remember the above comment about time.

Offline GodotWaits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 08:52:58 pm »
Cheers Jereven!

Useful tips. From a quick look around the threads here I saw a couple post about shortcuts/parkour routes for nippy manoeuvring so I bookmarked the instantly :)

GodotWaits

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 10:07:49 pm »
Fires on guns don't hurt the gun too much, but more than 8 stacks prevents you from mounting. Fires on engines don't do anything. A fire on balloon is extremely dangerous, one stack will outburn a mallet. 5 fire stacks on hull will outburn a mallet. Keep that in mind when deciding between whacking and extinguishing.

If you're playing engineer, the most important thing to remember is stick to your post and prioritise critical half-broken components over non-critical destroyed ones. For example if your pyramidion's armor is halfway down and dropping, the hull takes priority over destroyed turning engines. At that point you should call the top-right engineer down to help you with the hull while you repair everything.

For posterity, here are the threads with parkour (use the 'print' button for easier non-paginated reading)
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php?topic=437.0
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php?topic=2263.0

For gunner, (and I share the duck battle doctrine of only using gunner on lumberjack) you pretty much always want a pipe wrench. Ammo types are situational, but most guns only need one or two. Take incendiary and aim up if you're on a mine launcher.

For pilot, the golden rule is always be next to your teammate. At worst they will be a distraction/meatshield, at best you will be able to protect each other and kill the enemies quickly and efficiently. All the rest comes from practice and map knowledge. If you're piloting junker or galleon, do help out with balloon repairs.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:09:53 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline GodotWaits

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 10:28:54 am »
Nice one Omniraptor!

I'll learn this all before joining the game. I'd rather be an asset than a hindrance :)

GodotWaits

Offline Dresdom

• Salutes: 15
    • [Don]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 01:49:02 pm »
This thread is pure gold: The Tip Jar

Offline Nosgard SilverClaw

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 12:06:42 am »
Nice one Omniraptor!

I'll learn this all before joining the game. I'd rather be an asset than a hindrance :)

GodotWaits

Play in the novice matches until your kicked out at lvl 4. When you stumble onto a game with people whove been flying for 3000 games now, their going to make you feel like your doing it all wrong, when you may well not be. Thats my best advice for not feeling like a hinderance, start with guys in your skill bracket, work your way up to the big boys. That way you acn make mistakes, realize it, and fix it BEFORE its game-costing ^_^

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 05:36:25 pm »
Grey T's builds are pretty standard for the current meta, but the meta will change as muse continues to tweak the system. One way of learning the current meta is to shamelessly copy other players. You can see the ship setup in lobby by clicking on a the ship name, and a player's loadout by clicking on the human silhouette next to their name. It is probably best to copy the ship and crew that is doing well instead of the ship and crew that is doing badly.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 05:01:12 am »
1 mobula, 5 minelaunchers.
you'll laugh your ass off if you kill someone with it.