Author Topic: Longship idea.  (Read 6337 times)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Longship idea.
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:13:04 am »
the  people of firnfield have created an airship able to protect them from the horrible blizzards, and break through the storms.

So I had an idea for a ship possibly called: Spearhead.
the design would be built on the idea of it being a viking longship, but with one addition, it would have a roof to protect its crew against the cold weather of the northern lands.
it would therefore be limited to looking only the the sides, and possible have some holes under the ship, making it possible to see enemies benath you.

how would it function?
the ship with have 3 light guns on each side of the ship.
the ship would have the worst turn speed in the game, making it hard to use without phoenix claw or  full health engines.
however the ship would have the fastest speed in the game, making if a killing force if you were to be rammed by its pointy front or back.
the ship would have medium hull shield, and a slightly higher hull health.

the pros and cons of the ship:
pro: you can use 3 crew members on the guns.
con: if you use 3 crew members on the guns you will have a hull problem.
con: the balloon would be positioned at the back of the ship, while the balloon would be at the front.
pro: ramming an enemy would give you the better outcome if your side guns are facing him.
pro: another ship capable of ramming.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
Re: Longship idea.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:01:06 am »
Since Jess reffered to the Anglean Republic as some sort of Vikings, I like the overall idea. Kind of reminds me of a ship idea I had a long time ago, though it only had guns on one side.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:14:00 am »
Since Jess reffered to the Anglean Republic as some sort of Vikings, I like the overall idea. Kind of reminds me of a ship idea I had a long time ago, though it only had guns on one side.

guns on 1 side is acutally a really good idea, but for game balance I think the ship with this concept should have squid turning speed.
but possibly if the armor on the other side of the ship could be doubled then and enemies being unable to hit the balloon from that side, it would be interesting to see a ship like this.

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 31
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
    • Wind and Thunder Gaming
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:15:59 am »
This ship would kill everything and be hella imba, 3 side guns would literally break the game's oh so delicate meta. The turning problem would be remedied by phoenix, as you said so in no way would that balance it. Imagine a flak, gat, gat, long boat. *shudders*

Anyway love the idea, needs to be refined a bit ;)

Whatever happened to the firefly, the ship they showed on facebook?

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 07:52:12 am »
If the fore and aft broadside guns are toed out so that they can't share an overlap, then it just becomes a super-efficient 2-gun broadside.  The centre gun stays on target but the fore and aft guns have to handover to each other - make the route between the two tortuous with up and down ladders in both directions.  If you have a symmetrical layout of 3-gun light weapon broadsides done in this way the ship has almost no blind spots, but it needs careful coordination to crew with so many choices.

There's a lot of balance that can be introduced by the layout of the ship.  I've been sketching an idea for a ship with a two forward-facing medium guns (I can't decide between side-by-side or fore-and-aft or over-and-under - whichever, the overall look is resembling a skull), and making sure that the layout makes it hard to crew to compensate for the fire-power.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 02:46:35 pm »
Whatever happened to the firefly, the ship they showed on facebook?

Fan made project by an old CA named STUcaboose, no more