Author Topic: map idea, or inspiration  (Read 11747 times)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
map idea, or inspiration
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:00:02 am »
So I've been having this idea fro a map since I read this about king of the flayed hills: Hidden under the barren, stripped terrain of the Flayed Hills badlands are seams of iron, copper, and something even more precious: clean, fresh water, locked away in deep underground aquifers.

the idea would be to make a "mine" map.

The general idea would be that the fight would be inside the mine.
It would have a "roof" of rocks, eliminating the ability to to hit the top of the map, and instead hit rocks and be in the danger of taking damage.
a single beam of sunlight would come from the very middle of the map down to a pool of water centered in the middle.
around the middle there would be caverns intertwining with eachother, making it possible to flank the middle from every were.
a light source for the map could be glowing mushrooms doing some sort of interval of giving light, so you'd need flare guns to actually be able to see in the dark caverns. (also the harpoon could be useful for throing people into the rocks)

due to the idea of it being centered around a waterpool, it could be made into a king of the hill map so we get some diversity for the horrifying sandstorm.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: map idea, or inspiration
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:45:34 am »
I've always liked the idea of an underground map, but wouldnt making it a King of the Hill defeat the purpose of all those caverns? I would think youd maybe want either a Crazy King or a straight up CP. That way those caverns can open up into smaller "rooms" in comparison to the center, but also contain points to fight over and capture.

Just my vision of it.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:51:13 am »
crazy king is actually my favorite game mode.

could be done so it had 3 capture points: 1  at and underground lake, 1 at a copper seam and 1 at an iron seam.

possibly adding some underground geysers at one of the points, giving a ram when the hit.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:56:11 am »
Either this or a night map. Either way, rather cool

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:03:02 am »

I think you meant both must be added. I cant think of a reason why either one wouldnt be simply great to play in.

Skrim, for the geysers, not sure how they would do that but if anything im sure some fog in there would make things more tense. I dont think you need more things to hurt you with a damaging roof and tight spaces already there.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 01:20:31 pm »
If Muse didn't want to make this into a night map, they could definitely add some sort of glowing crystal pockets on the walls in order to explain the lighting down there. I like this idea- dodging debris and obstacles makes being a pilot more rewarding.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:24:10 pm »
This would definitely change some gameplay around.... Squid battle's in the smaller rooms Come out to a Galleon smackdown in the main room.... Very interesting....

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 02:49:45 pm »
I just think a map like canyon, but with a roof would be a great crew challenge.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 03:54:21 pm »
I think you meant both must be added. I cant think of a reason why either one wouldnt be simply great to play in.
There's a lot of stuff I want added. Alas, yes, both would be fun

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 06:39:12 pm »
Hopefully Muse resolves the bounce glitch before they start adding a roof to levels. Combined with my somewhat enthusiastic driving style that glitch has killed me a few times on Canyon Ambush and Duel at Dawn.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 06:56:32 pm »
Hopefully Muse resolves the bounce glitch before they start adding a roof to levels. Combined with my somewhat enthusiastic driving style that glitch has killed me a few times on Canyon Ambush and Duel at Dawn.

A ceiling will get with the bounce.  So long as said cave roof is below the flight ceiling.  It's not a glitch.  At 1000m you can't go any higher.

Just to give everyone a head's up... we are going to release a series of maps based on a new tileset soon (update after PAX).  Think metropolitan.  Abandoned.  Desolate.  Dark.

The first of the series will be a new King of the Hill.  It will then be expanded for a smaller Crazy King and Deathmatch.  Maybe CP?  I don't know yet.

But yes, CK is the most fun right now.  CP has some issues and I'm looking into how to get them to be more fun.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 07:08:29 pm »
I was talking about when a ship get stuck on an obstacle and is unable to get off. It happens mostly on side swipes and complex level geometry.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 07:09:59 pm »
Just to give everyone a head's up... we are going to release a series of maps based on a new tileset soon (update after PAX).  Think metropolitan.  Abandoned.  Desolate.  Dark.
hrm?

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 07:28:48 pm »
I was talking about when a ship get stuck on an obstacle and is unable to get off. It happens mostly on side swipes and complex level geometry.

Lol you just failed then :P  Again, with some items you can get over some obstacles.  SOME.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 06:12:16 am »

usually when you get stuck in some obstacles its because of the wind. Hydrogen or kerosine sometimes help, but if you get magnetic sucked into it, youre done :p