Author Topic: Achievement Days - Group  (Read 8255 times)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Achievement Days - Group
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:10:29 pm »
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoIO-AD

Ever find that achievement you just can't seem to complete? Tired of trying to fill up a 4 vs 4, capture 60 points, shoot down your enemies at 1000+ meters or even harpoon them repeatedly?

Well here's you answer. No long do you have to try and do this all on your own, as the Achievement Days group is here to help. The objective of this group is to set up times, days, and achievement goals that players can work for together.

This is not a 'I kill you, then you kill me' sort of deal. These will be regular matches playing for wins, but with extra conditions on top to promote completing achievements.

For example, we might set up a 3 vs 3 on Water Hazard, but you have to use long range ships and stay at least 1300 meters from the ship you're targeting. Another day we might do a 4 vs 4 death match on Red Sepulcher, but you have only use harpoons and mines. Or even a 2 vs 2 King of the Hill, but after capturing the hill, you have to exit the capture area and cannot block captures (although you'd be encouraged to kill them from outside the zone) to promote more back and forth captures.

Ultimately the Maps we play and rules we toss on top are up to the players. Ideally I'd like to set up daily times for this to occur and the rules/maps ahead of time; but this may not be the case.

So I turn to you, what achievements are you having trouble completing that this kind of group can help you with? (Buffing guns, doing full repairs, etc you should be able to do on your own over time. And since we're not giving out wins, we may not be able to help with 'win with a perfect score'). Again, this group is to give you more opportunities, not hand out achievements.

----------------

Times and Days Available (EST):

Pilot Achievements:

Engineer Achievements:

Gunner Achievements:

Example:
Times and Days Available (EST):
I'm available most afternoons and evenings during the weekdays, and all the time during the weekend.
1-2PM, 3-5 PM, and 6+PM on the weekdays.

Pilot Achievements:
-Destroy 25 Ships at 1300+ meters
-Destroy 25 Ships with mines
-Capture Control Points
-Refinery Map

Engineer Achievements:
-Refinery Map
-Capture Points
-Destroy Ships at 1000+ meters

Gunner Achievements:
Not currently working on

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
Re: Achievement Days - Group
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:11:04 pm »
Im down for capture points anytime

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 09:05:24 am »
I am liking this idea.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 05:08:27 pm »
Win 3 matches on anglean raiders with no more than 1 death. This one is tough now that it's crazy king, Have it as pilot and the same achievement is coming up as engineer.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 11:16:10 pm »
Well that's a very good candidate for our first Achievement Day event, Anglean Raiders. Not sure if there's a special rule we can apply to reduce the chance of death without removing the competitive side of things.

We could make it more of a race. Have one ship from each team race to point A, first ship there wins the point and the losing ship has to let them cap. The next two ships gather at the point once it's capped and get ready to race to the next point, then finally move on to the final two ships racing. This might be quite boring though, a lot of waiting around.

Using the same system over ships taking turns to compete over capture points, we could have 1v1 ship duels; with the winning team claiming the point together. This reduces the overall death rate, but still kind of boring as you wait for points to flip. In theory we could keep the action going, starting the next duel immediately after the point flips. This gives them plenty of time to finish the duel before it's time to head to their capture point.

We could restrict the weapons. Maybe make it harpoon/mine launcher only. I know that harpoon and mine kills are really annoying to get as an achievement. This gives some players more opportunities for those types of kills, but the overall death rate will likely be much lower, especially for a cautious captain.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Ideally we'll have the first Achievement Day on Thursday, right after Fight the Devs (Fight the Devs is from 1-2 PM EST). I'd like to schedule one sooner, and preferably multiple days a week, but we don't seem to be getting as much interest. I'd encourage everyone to try and get their clan involved. I'd prefer not to have random players jump in, as then it would be difficult to apply the "special rules" that help speed up the completion of the achievement without taking away from the competitive aspect.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 05:34:11 am »
The best idea is to set common parameters, then divide teams by the goals. So if the overall goal is capture points, designate one team as the winner with no deaths, and the other as deaths. Whoever needs captures can rotate the points, so long as say blue wins in the end. Meanwhile participates who don't need captures but simply wins, and want to work on certain kills can go in an isolated part of the map with a red ship. Red ship can get killed, and work on repair achievements.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 08:35:43 am »
Again, this group is to give you more opportunities, not hand out achievements.

And a quote from the group page

"This is not a 'you hit me, I hit you' sort of deal. These will be fair competitive matches with extra rules thrown on top to help make those achievements easier to get, but not hand them out."

The idea is to just create more opportunities for completing achievements and not set up instant achievement gain scenarios. Personally I'm against straight up farming achievements where players let one side or the other win in order to gain the achievements rapidly. That's not playing the game as it was intended.

Essentially it would be a gentlemen's agreement to play with rules on top of the match. For instance it could be agreed upon that everyone brings a sniping ship and attempts to stay at least 1300 meters apart and not duck behind cover to prolong the match. It makes it much easier to get the 1300 meter achievement, but doesn't guarantee you any kills. For capture points, players might agree to a condition that allows the point to flip more often while still competing for the win. For scenarios involving low or no deaths, if we get enough people we could agree to conditions that are not combat related (such as racing). Etc.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 05:21:18 pm »
Ah I misunderstood then.