Author Topic: Steampunk/Airship Movies  (Read 7831 times)

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Steampunk/Airship Movies
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:58:12 pm »
Hey guys! This is a somewhat old steampunk short film about an epic airship battle that many of you have probably already heard of, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the forum, so I thought about posting it here. It's sooo about us! Finding it again today made me realize that it would be great to share and post all the similar steampunk and/or airship related movies we come across, because I'm sure many of us would be interested in not only playing, but also watching such things every now and then.

Oh, and here's the link, before I forget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=211LNk5vnJM

The title is Airlords of Airia.  :) I can so identify with that gunner girl!  :o

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Steampunk/Airship Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:12:33 pm »
Hayao miyazaki's work has lots of flying steampunk.. ships, however they're usually heavier than air.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:28:23 pm »
Last Exile is probably the one most notable for this sort of game. But its a little more about planes than about airships. The story is alright till after the halfway point when it just sorta comes apart on itself. Lot of bad directing. Scenes cut poorly/etc. It's sequel is pretty much the same except better in airship combat but worse in story and characters. Virtually an all girl cast which spouts idealistic nonsense most of the entire series. Cept for Dian who is the only decent character in the show and her character is a carbon copy of other characters from other shows.

Its an anime you at least want to see once to see why everyone raves about it. But I honestly didn't see much beyond that. Its got a cult following but it could be so much better.

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:31:02 am »
I guess the Anime "Attack on Titan" counts as Steampunk. It's a series set in the future where Titans push humanity to almost extinction. The only way to fight them is by flying through the air and cut them with swords. It's quite a kickass series with awesome soundtrack and amazing charackters. Keep in mind that there's no english dub right now but it's worth watching it even with english sub.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRm4IzK1SQ

Offline RethBurn

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 71
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:41:26 am »
I saw a great movie recently called Steamboy. It's approximately a 1.5 hour long western styled anime with focus on, you guessed it, steam technology. Alot of interesting ideas come to work, but it has that Miyazaki feeling to it. (The guy who made Tororo, Howl's moving castle, Chihiro and the witches and all those). There is a great mix of very child-friendly themes, along with the great sensation of war. In the sense that ever new invention in the Steampunk era they live it will be automatized to combat purposes. While there isn't alot of flying airships, there is emphasis on what could be created with Steam-driven air vehicles.

I'll just drop the link to where I first saw it:
http://www.animeultima.tv/watch/steamboy-english-subbed-dubbed-online/