Author Topic: New medium weapon ideas?  (Read 25558 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: New medium weapon ideas?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »
No Fair you have an art team and I don't.

Friendly fire in an FPS is one perpetrator one victim but in GOI it would be a 4 perpetrator 4 victim situation, with three or the perpetrator's being innocent of the action. It is a troll's dream come true, the chance to piss off 7 people who can do nothing to retaliate against them.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 01:54:45 pm »
I don't like the idea of friendly fire it opens the game too much to trolling. Especially since one gunner's actions could negatively influence the entire team. If you enabled friendly fire you would have to enable a kick mechanic to get rid of people who misuse it.

I like the idea of friendly fire if it was a feature that was automatically enabled for all players once they reach level 7 in a role whilst playing that role.  Reward high level players with a more challenging game - and bring in the tactical dynamic of placing your opponent between you and his team mate to screen you from his team mates fire.  Trolls would have to invest a lot of time in the game to be able troll using that feature.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 02:00:27 pm »
Hubert would you idea require the gunner to 7th level before he deals friendly fire, or the captain be 7th level before he is susceptible to friendly fire? Or are you trying to come up with a way of nerfing Yiski and Zill?

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 05:04:31 am »
Everyone would be susceptible to it, but it would only be dealt by a L7 player using a gun (whether that's an L7 gunner, engineer or pilot on the trigger).

I'm pretty sure piloting damage (collisions, tar barrel) can already be caused in full to other ships on the same team.  If not, that would be part of the deal as well.

There's been a few threads suggesting rewarding high level players with a wider choice of weapons, etc.. - which the consensus is firmly against, I'd rather see the high level reward have a debateable-nerf and increase the challenge.  High level blue-on-blue goes a little way towards self-balancing stacked teams - you can stack a team with high level players, but the penalty is that mid-level pilots are likely to use that against you.  It could even be phased in.. L5 and you deal 60%, L7 100% blue-on-blue.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:59 am »
what about a harpoon gun that you can shoot on the enviroment.

the rope would be replaced by a chain that is on high voltage or has spikes.

enemy ships who hit this piece of chain will get damaged and stuck on it.

also this harpoon type would be handy for sharp turns.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 10:05:20 am »
Or are you trying to come up with a way of nerfing Yiski and Zill?

I can see this being a April Fool's joke, lol.

Everyone would be susceptible to it, but it would only be dealt by a L7 player using a gun (whether that's an L7 gunner, engineer or pilot on the trigger).

I'm pretty sure piloting damage (collisions, tar barrel) can already be caused in full to other ships on the same team.  If not, that would be part of the deal as well.

There's been a few threads suggesting rewarding high level players with a wider choice of weapons, etc.. - which the consensus is firmly against, I'd rather see the high level reward have a debateable-nerf and increase the challenge.  High level blue-on-blue goes a little way towards self-balancing stacked teams - you can stack a team with high level players, but the penalty is that mid-level pilots are likely to use that against you.  It could even be phased in.. L5 and you deal 60%, L7 100% blue-on-blue.

I dont think rams do full damage to teammates. At least it doesnt feel it but im also not going full throttle at them. Tar does do full damage to everyone. Ask me how i know, lol.

The "scaling friendly fire" sounds like a good way to anger high level players. I'd have to keep track of who had a lvl7+ gunner, pray to the Skies they arent trolls, and worry about the captain as well because he can force that high lvl gunner to miss his shot into my face.

Im all for friendly fire, but i too agree that no ability to kick (Not a bad thing) plus trolls would get ugly if it were introduced. If any were to be added, id say it would be at like 25%. Then you could repair through trolls, and still make it a reasonable option to not shoot a teammate for lulz.

Oh right, and I still would like a Heavy Flamethrower. Obviously it would need some creative thinking for balance, but would still be fun.

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 10:14:46 am »
Friendly fire would be perfectly acceptable if it's part of improved lobby customization.

That way a lobby creator can turn it on or off and people can decide to join such a match at own risk.  You don't need a kick option for that.  People who really want to get into it could then also create a private lobby with friends for realistic playing experiences without having someone potentially cause any unwanted harm

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 10:25:28 am »
The "scaling friendly fire" sounds like a good way to anger high level players. I'd have to keep track of who had a lvl7+ gunner, pray to the Skies they arent trolls, and worry about the captain as well because he can force that high lvl gunner to miss his shot into my face.

Level 7 trolls?  although I see the point about low level pilots possibly screwing the aim of high level gunners.

When I first started playing I automatically tried using enemy ships to screen behind because it seemed like a good tactic. Now I don't even release the trigger as a team mate comes between me and the target.  I was making more of an effort to play tactically/strategically before I realised it was pointless.

I don't want that Squid dancing round my hull to only be worrying about where I am.  I'd like him to be a touch nervous about what his hwacha galleon team mate is up to as well.  Because if I'm the Squid, I don't have to care about it.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 06:46:52 pm »
I raise you.

Holy mackerel in a pizza pot!

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 09:19:24 pm »
Skrimskraw made a post in this https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,474.msg7375.html#msg7375
about a ramming round that doesn't do damage, but bumps a ship.  LOVE IT.  Medium weapons could hit for more velocity, light for less.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 01:10:28 am »
How about a heavy missile launcher that had very weak heat-seeking capabilities? The projectile could travel slow-ish and could be shot down. This would require a ship like the Spire or Goldfish to flank to a target's blind spot and open up.

I'd also like to make an edit to a previous thing I brainstormed.
-
Trident Medium Harpoon Gun. Single harpoon that has a much stronger lasso effect than its light version. Longer duration, and can reel enemies in with noticeable force. Very long reload.
-

What if this gun added collision resistance on the side of the ship that it is on, but not gun resistance? I think that would sort of balance out using up the medium slot for a harpoon, but not being cheap cos an enemy ship could simply break the gun, and the rope with it.

Offline Nadrynne

• Salutes: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 06:42:50 am »
I am a big fan of weapons that ANNOY and I would like a medium size PAINT CANNON to draw rude things on enemy ship balloons.

Or maybe I could have a water cannon so I can put out fires on friendly ships and also give opposing ships visibility issues when I shoot water at them.

Of course this means carrying a big water tank on an airship. Which could be useful in the desert. It could also be watered down ALE. Dual use technologies and all that.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 06:59:12 am »
I am a big fan of weapons that ANNOY and I would like a medium size PAINT CANNON to draw rude things on enemy ship balloons.

"We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes... pretty pictures. Scares the hell outta people!".. Oddball

+1 for paint rounds.. ..