Author Topic: Ranked Matches idea  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Baron Saturday

• Salutes: 2
    • [A&G]
    • View Profile
Ranked Matches idea
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:49 am »
I was thinking about this game and it's ESport potential.  I've seen the casts and enjoy a good portion of the casters themselves.  Clans are rising and so on and so forth.

As a semi decent pilot [though that may seem contradictory given the next statement] who flies a very standard brawler on my junker, I'd like to know where I actually stand.  So, with that in mind, here is my idea.

I've played the starcraft games since Brood War and I love the separation between ranked and un-ranked matches.  So, keep the set up as it is.  Get a group together, find a match, fight whomever enters the lobby.  Then, set up a ranked match system.  A separate, system that tracks progress through points.  Wins and losses gain and lose points respectively.  The difference in rank between the winner and the loser would be taken into consideration as well. Someone who is ranked really high would generate more points if defeated by a lower ranked member.  Pretty straight forward.  Also, have leagues. 

You can set up a duel league system.  For example, create a legitimate Clan system.  When you fight with clan members, your clan itself will gain and lose points and your individual score will also change.  I can add more details if necessary, but I think this covers the basics.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Re: Ranked Matches idea
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:17:05 am »
so how will you make a point system?

there are not enough clans to make a ranked match option inside the game.

I love the idea though.
Reminds me of league of legends, damn bronzeIV division.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:20:46 am »
I'm gonna ask if this would be placed in suggestions.

By the way, you can try and think of a legitimate system that you can tweak out so muse and others might get an idea of where to go and how to implement it if people like it.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:30 am »
I think this idea was brought up before, although it's difficult to execute. It's possible other games like league and starcraft because of the sheer volume of players. If we did have a system like this, you would be hard pressed to find opponents, or would be facing the same team just about every match. Right now the clan system isn't well integrated either, as we just have clan tags that are freely changeable. If someone wanted to impersonate my clan (or more likely a more popular clan) they could do so without any effort.

However, we have had a somewhat similar system. Instead of an automated matchmaking, clans and teams would find other clans and teams to compete against for points, taking screenshots and having a ref present to prove their victory/loss. I think this system has been abandoned for more regulated matches. I assume because it was easy to 'cherry pick' your matches among other things.

Offline Baron Saturday

• [A&G]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:28 am »
To flesh out the point system as an example if nothing else as I'm not a systems programmer, everyone would start at the bottom.  Bronze/beginner what have you.  As a season begins, everyone starts with 0 points and is worth 1 point.  I'll give an example as if two teams competed from the beggining to the end.

So, 2 teams, each player is worth 1 point make a ship kill go average for 1 point.  So the match ends and team a gains 1 point.  They are still worth 1 point in relation to the other team who still has 0 points making them worth 1.

Team a dominates 10 matches.  Here's where the fun math stuff happens.  Team b rests at zero and team a is at 10 points.  If team b wins at this point they will recieve 5 points and team a will lose 2.5 rounded down to 2?  So team a has 8 points and team b has 5 so both teams are worth 1 point relative to eachother.  So any team more than 5 points ahead is worth half their point value.  So if one team is 6 points ahead, they're worth 3 points.  Make 100 points move out of bronze?  Clan ranks would be arbitrary at best, it would just show where you clan as a whole stands as compared to others.

I'll come up with something for clans.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:31:14 pm »
Automated clan support would be nice. For example, a system where a founder creates a clan, giving him leader status. Leaders can add and remove people from the clan, as well as make clan members into subordinate leaders by clicking on their names, like we do party invites now. All clan members have a tag, as well as access to a special chat and voice chanel, just like the current party system.

This system is simple, easy to understand, and is essentially a persistent 'party', building on an existing framework should be slightly easier to implement?

On to ranked matches. These are probably a bad idea, because in GoI it's basically impossible to tell who was responsible for victory or defeat in a 8v8 game with hard-to-define roles. If you're a good player but your crew has sound off, or there's a language barrier, or they simply can't play, your score will go down unfairly. Unlike other games (such as shooters) one person cannot carry the rest to victory, so ranking individual players doesn't make sense.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:10:25 am »
Automated clan support would be nice. For example, a system where a founder creates a clan, giving him leader status. Leaders can add and remove people from the clan, as well as make clan members into subordinate leaders by clicking on their names, like we do party invites now. All clan members have a tag, as well as access to a special chat and voice chanel, just like the current party system.

This system is simple, easy to understand, and is essentially a persistent 'party', building on an existing framework should be slightly easier to implement?

On to ranked matches. These are probably a bad idea, because in GoI it's basically impossible to tell who was responsible for victory or defeat in a 8v8 game with hard-to-define roles. If you're a good player but your crew has sound off, or there's a language barrier, or they simply can't play, your score will go down unfairly. Unlike other games (such as shooters) one person cannot carry the rest to victory, so ranking individual players doesn't make sense.

Maybe it would be nice to have a suggestion of a clan tab in the social page in-game.
I'm gonna make a post of it, thank you for giving me this idea.

Offline Baron Saturday

• [A&G]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 08:40:34 am »

Either that's the risk you run by PUGing a group or you go in with a group.  They could make it so you can't go in without a group.  I'm sure there can be a good middle ground between functionality and "bad for the community".  I just think this game has a very serious way about itself that lends itself well to ESports and the like.  Besides, it may help the game grow.  I know that I came back because I wanted to get ready for the current and very convoluted system that's in place now.  IDK.  Just my thoughts on it.