Author Topic: The RangeFinder Thread!  (Read 16879 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
The RangeFinder Thread!
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:30:55 pm »
I want to discuss the range finder. Because i dont see it being used all that often. However, time has gone and some may have found its usefullnes.

But i want to have a discussion on its use and some inputt by people who do use it.
I have created 2 guides that have a heavy emphasis on the Range finder.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219023658#194945

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204782159#194945

Like it, fave it, dont forget to subscribe because youtube money lol holla get dolla

Its current features are:

Showing the shooter an aproximate lead and guide.
Showing the viewer the distance.
Showing the shooter that it is not in range.

There are some annoyances and features that people have yett to use.

The annoyance is that the distance is not displayed for the shooter. The distance is a constant changing thing in a game. So things like the cheat sheets are still hard to follow when memorising them is the key. This forces communication however. The communication is good, but not so much when the numbers are constantly changing.
This is then a pretty good tool to bring versus long range as long range/mid range. Snipers are usualy stationary so determining and communicating the distance is much easier.

The underused feature is the not enough range feature. Many gattling could have been shot much earlier, or later. Alot of people seem to dismiss the use of range finder when using very short range weapon. A goldfish with heavy carronade can play with heavy clip and staying at a max range of the heavy carronade. This also gives a fair ammount of down arc for the heavy carronade because of the distance. Gattlings can start firing at maximum distance. etc.

Here is another annoyance: It does not show that a weapon is within the arming time of their target. The symbol for this can be the same as over maximum range. Just a cross that the gun wont be as effective.

Talking of annoyances the range finder also has to be zoomed for it to be used. This is VERY annoying. This tool can be a very good tool for pilots to involve themselves for their gunners. But because they have to zoom so close, it hurts alot. Sort of defeats the purpose for close ranged guns.
To have the most zoomed out scope, you must enter third person, then zoom in. But even that isnt much of a diffrence. And the camera acts odd.

A feature that i think would make people grab the tool is the enemies maximum range. This can be a tool wielder only info. Because communicating that is not difficult.
And implementation of this is cannon symbols having a cross over it. So for example, if one points at a spire. He will see 4 cannon symbols at the bottom of the reticule. 2 cannon symbols are crossed out, and two cannon symbols that are not. (2 artemis, merc + lumberjack). Dont know how it can be coded in or anything.

Tell me what you guys think. The range finder needs some love and it is still very usable. I just feel like it needs the info to be more apparent in its usage. Like the shooter also gets the numbered distance information.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: The RangeFinder Thread!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 06:39:27 pm »
Well we need the numbers back in game. Not graphical icons or wordage that says short range, long range/etc. Get the numbers back, give gunners the tool, then watch them handle it better.

I've found it useful having it as a pilot when working on the insane 1300m achievements. Sniper boats don't always need that 3rd pilot tool so it frees me up.

But, overall, I think it would get used more if the effect lasted longer. When using it as a gunner you have barely enough time to get a shot off before you have to hop off and use it again. If you could use it while on the gun, that would be helpful. Course that is if your long range engaging and your enemy is shifting position. So otherwise that puts the duty on an engineer or pilot to keep the goggles aimed at the enemy. They won't often understand that and if you are under bombardment they'll have more important duties than keeping their eyes on the enemy ship.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 06:44:55 pm »
I think at the very least you should be able to click and have distance displayed for a certain period, just like spotting. And yeah, the only time it has seemed useful to me is to check for the 1300 m achievement as pilot.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 07:09:48 pm »
If it was moved to a gunner tool, it would be absolutely amazing for pilots and gunner alike, especially if gunners could use it while on the gun.

As a pilot tool, I find it better to bring other pilot items instead, and my crew is generally too busy to make use of it. Either fixing or shooting, rather than staring at the enemy. I'll often only use it on sniping builds, because as it was pointed out, you don't need as many pilot items (and it helps with the range achievements).

I can see it being a great tool on close range builds, if you can spare the slot (again, the crew is usually busy); but for the most part, a good captain and crew already have a really good idea of the effective range of a weapon. Although this takes a -lot- of experience and practice (and subject to change with updates).

Although I generally play my close range builds to be ramming close. Range isn't that important when you're just shy of 0 meters apart. But for captains who like to head straight in and the first strike is necessary, I can see the range finder being a game changer.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »
Having it on the pilot tool is not a good thing for gunners because then it takes away an ammo type. But it would be great for pilots. However it is a great on pilot because the gunner or engineer can use it.

Limiting the pilot when he wants to use it. It is a balance choice of slots. Having it on the gunner slot would make gunners less, seeing as how gunners hae a struggle to be as valuable as the pilot or the engineer.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:32:59 pm »
For the most part gunner tend to use one or two ammo types -most- of the match. Occasionally they'll use a third. It really depends on the gun and playstyle. If they could use it along with an ammo type, it would give them an advantage over engineers, who would have to give up an ammo to use it. Of course having it in the pilot slot is still best for both engi and pilot.

Although, I still don't like my crew standing around and calling out distances when they could be shooting a gun or fixing something.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:54:33 pm »
If it was made so that gunners choosing this tool, automatic had the numbers when they mount the gun, that would make the gunner class very viable again for teams using mortar curved weapons.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 01:49:09 am »
YES PLEASE! Let the gunners see the range of the target.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:18:12 pm »
Let the Pilot slot get the Spyglass... Gunner slot get the Range-Finder... and the Engineer slot get Zoom-Goggles for spying on the health of enemy components...

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:07:01 am »
want to suggest that the rangefinder also gets an altitude counter.
So you can see how far the enemy ship is, and what altitude he is on.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:40:26 am »
*Relative altitude, absolute altitude is useless since there's no way of knowing your own.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 09:49:57 am »
We do have a hydrolic tube of blue liquid as an altimeter. It warns us of when the OP ground is on its way towards our ships so we can dodge it.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:06 am »
Of course, but that is nowhere near precise enough to aim with.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 12:47:09 pm »
rangefinder was made so gunners could hit better.
however that requires the captain to stay on the same altitude. as soon as this differ, so does the aim on the gun you are using.

if you want to talk about how the rangefinder works in the first place, try explain that :p
and also the moonshine.

think the devs made it clear that the game is not gonna revolve around realism as it is a steampunk / dieselpunk world.

just saying that altitude is important for a lot of players, myself included.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 01:59:52 pm »
rangefinder was made so gunners could hit better.
however that requires the captain to stay on the same altitude. as soon as this differ, so does the aim on the gun you are using.

if you want to talk about how the rangefinder works in the first place, try explain that :p
and also the moonshine.

think the devs made it clear that the game is not gonna revolve around realism as it is a steampunk / dieselpunk world.

just saying that altitude is important for a lot of players, myself included.

Trigonometry is how the range finder works.