Author Topic: I'm looking forward to...  (Read 6284 times)

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
I'm looking forward to...
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:43:43 am »
Co-op against computers (assuming this is a thing. I'm pretty sure it will be?)!

So, I'm a very good pilot. I say this not out of arrogance but from experiences in pub matches, tournaments, scrimmages, and impromptu battles with other very good pilots.
I also have friends that I like to play with. As it happens, they tend to be very good pilots and crew. We tend to play together and against each other because we work well together and it challenges us.

I enjoy playing challenging matches, don't get me wrong. It is wonderful to win, and even defeats bring experience.
But sometimes I don't want to play challenging matches. Sometimes I don't want to have to play against my friends just to balance a lobby out. Sometimes I just want to crush my opponent and enjoy playing with my friends.

Right now the only option for that is stacked lobbies and pub stomping. Which means that there is no option. Most of the upper level players (hopefully) try to not stack lobbies too much and try to teach people a little bit. But if you ever have a short lapse in compassion for the younger generation of players, it is very easy to find yourself stomping along.

This is NOT okay.

Everyone acknowledges that this is one of the biggest barriers to more people staying with the game. I'm looking forward to having co-op fights versus AI's for 2 reasons.

1. Younger players get a chance to fight easier opponents as they learn. AI is easier to fight, more predictable, weaker, etc. Younger players can learn how to beat computers as they grow, meaning when they play public matches it will be much better for them.

2. Experienced pilots get a relief valve. Right now the only way to just go kill ships stress free for fun is pub stomping. With co-op, we can play with each other and the only ones hurt will be AI. And the AI deserves it.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking forward to...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:57:15 am »
maybe there should be an option to fight easy AI and intermediate AI.
This will be more of a challenge for experienced players.

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:01:21 am »
So it isn't too easy? :) I could agree with this. I just want to be able to crush things with my friends without being a bad person.  :-[

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:03:44 am »
Best difficulty level i've seen in a game was the sin episodes emergence adaptive level for arena mode. Always challenging. But i hope you can manually set the level so you can both have a challenge and have fun with new players. Also to hopefully reach objectives that i hope will be there but i share redrias pov.

I would also look forward to more maps and eager to see adventure mode. :P

Offline Mizhir Starsurge

• Salutes: 21
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:42:50 am »
Making a proper AI captain is most likely hard and requires many resources.

I don't know how the adventure mode will be when it comes to AIs, but one could hope that it would bring the technology required for this.

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:32 am »
Hm...
Roundabout thought process gave me an idea for a game mode that won't happen, but would be interesting.

If AI pilot is difficult, then maybe you create a static object with guns that you team up with allies to assault. The AI just take care of repairs and shooting on said static object.
But having one static object would lead one to want to assault from hidden spots. Of course, AI will respond to sneaky approaches the same every time, so once you've used it once, it probably won't be entertaining anymore.
So maybe make it so you have a lot of gun emplacements, but you can only use up ?? of them. It is now a varied assault, changing blindspots, etc.
But AI configuration of the weapons will suck. So give it to humans...

TLDR ^

PvP tower defense. Assaulting team has to reach or destroy something, maybe cap a point and hold it. Assaulting team gets 3 ships. Defending team gets 1 ship, the wildcard that can adapt to mistakes made in the tower emplacement. Additionally, there are a ton of slots where the defending team can place guns, but they can only place 5-10 guns or something. Assaulting team has to analyze the layout of the guns and create an approach plan. Defending team has to shoot down approaching ships, and use the wildcard ship to cover any sudden changes that leave the defending team exposed.

I realize this is completely counter to, and off topic from, my original post, but we need more game types (like moving CP).

Offline Mizhir Starsurge

• Salutes: 21
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 12:02:02 pm »
inb4 redria tries to destroy a tower by sitting on it.

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 12:03:43 pm »
It's a legitimate strategy!

Also... only tries?  ;)