Author Topic: Let's talk gun damage/balance  (Read 15852 times)

Offline Twinkie D-Lite

• Salutes: 12
    • [KG]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk gun damage/balance
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 07:41:10 pm »
I'm sorry that you think that heavy weapons should be able to do it all?

Heavy Carronade - Can shred the balloon and components, but only at close range, and doesn't do very well against the hull (at all) - needs finishing support.

Lochnager: Ive done it to many times

Lumberjack - Shreds balloons and can destroy armor if the gunner lands a full clip consistently, can't finish, has an arming time and is weak at close range - needs finishing support.

Not a hull killer, its a balloon popper

Hwacha - Can disable components and deal good hull damage, but has trouble breaking hull armor - needs armor break support.

Not a hull killer, disabler, and does it well

Heavy Flak - Can kill consistently at range in under a second, but can't break armor - needs armor break support.

supposed to be a heavy, long range death machine, it isnt. Again, the only heavy weapon that cant function as a single unit, unlike the other three. Of course you can use Lochnager on here also, since they made it so easy to use. Used to lock down your gun allowing no movement. It was an artform to use it properly.

But Ill wait and see, maybe I will play again one day. And since I dont play anymore I will admit I dont really have a dog in this fight. I just remember thegood ol days I suppose.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:45:42 pm by Twinkie D-Lite »

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 08:28:08 pm »
Heavy Carronade 1 shot any piece of equipment, 2 shot a balloon, no support weapon needed
Manticore one volly disable entire ship, no support weapon needed
Lumberjack 2 shot a balloon, no suport weapon needed
Heavy Flak, you tell me how many shots it need to do its job with no support weapon.

And dont get me going on weapon ranges, they need a massive overhaul, there way out of whack.

With over 1,800 hours played on this game I believe I have an informed opinion.

You tell me what's more serious: A popped balloon, some broken engines and guns, or an instantly dead ship? You could make the very same point about the Light Mortar...

You're upset because the heavy flak doesn't work on a goldfish? Galleons and spires both have more than one gun they can keep in arc.

As a currently active player with over 3000 games played, I am very happy with the current Heavy Flak.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:51:25 pm »
Whenever I see a heavy flak galleon with a gunner bringing lochnagar, I almost always switch my ship to a goldfish, or a galleon, so I don't get one-shotted.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 07:45:14 am »
Whenever I see a heavy flak galleon with a gunner bringing lochnagar, I almost always switch my ship to a goldfish, or a galleon, so I don't get one-shotted.

You should double check that they don't have a buffhammer on board...

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 11:04:09 am »
Heavy Carronade 1 shot any piece of equipment, 2 shot a balloon, no support weapon needed
Manticore one volly disable entire ship, no support weapon needed
Lumberjack 2 shot a balloon, no suport weapon needed
Heavy Flak, you tell me how many shots it need to do its job with no support weapon.

And dont get me going on weapon ranges, they need a massive overhaul, there way out of whack.

With over 1,800 hours played on this game I believe I have an informed opinion.
0% of those kill a ship outright.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 04:11:12 pm »

They don't need to (for the most part).
I've been on receiving end of all of the weapons about enought that I can tell you how hard it is to deal with damage when you get hit consistently with these weapons (after all you need to consistently with with artemis or gatling consistently for them to be effective).
6 clip of LJ will kill pyra's baloon AND armor. Point short range hawcha with burst ammo will kill EVERYTHING except baloon on Pyra (double hawacha hit WILL outright kill a Pyra).
Heavy Carrorade will keep enamy ship dropping (you generaly loose about 170M height if you loose baloon and have engineer with spanner camping it - that is enough to keep enemy out of the combat to punt the other enemy in dire straits in 2v1.
And heavy flak will outright murder you if loose armor.
As for Typon's smaller brother Echidna light flak: it's a perfect engineer's and pilot's gun - it has incredible burst damage, and it takes very short time to fire all your shots, and then you are back your job. You just can't waste any shots on armor or by missing (hitting with echidna is pretty easy).

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 04:40:10 pm »
They don't need to (for the most part).
Not saying they should. Every heavy weapon is good against something, and the flak is for utter ship destruction once armor drops.