Author Topic: Training Captains  (Read 10866 times)

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Training Captains
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:37:04 am »
A very long time ago there was a concept of having a handfull of experienced, kind, smart and polite players be Training Captains.
This ment that they could join in level 1-3 player matches and share tips and tricks with new players so they can enjoy the game more.
After a while the whole training project faded away and never returned.
I'm also one of the ol' Trainings Captains and join level 1-3 matches from time to time to give some tips and tricks to new players.

I want to know if anyone has encounterd a Training Captain and actually learned something from them.
Do you think Training Captains are usefull?

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
Re: Training Captains
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:30 am »
I know I have the same permission, and, while most games I join (always as a Spectator unless someone specifically requests my on-ship presence) these days are full of people who don't communicate, I've definitely spent at least a few games talking tips with the newer players, including advice for on-ship communication, piloting, gunning, and so forth.

So it definitely helps some people, even when we just randomly pop in. I actively saw a few pilots improving their game over the course of maybe 3-5 games with me watching and commenting.

Offline Oliver Colt

• Salutes: 80
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 04:18:49 pm »
Oh yeah they're helpful! I had the honor to fly with Bordeline [senpai! xD] and it was the best thing ever and I learned so much stuff and got to practice in a match instead of just doing things like crazy and not knowing exactly why.

I'd love to see more training captains, I really need to learn on a ship because my attention span isn't long enough to read a post full of numbers and other things I won't be able to remember when I play, even if they're interesting and informative (my memory is pretty crap tbh).

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 04:38:37 pm »
I tend not to hop into novice matches too often, as it would skew the teams quite a lot. I do sometimes sit in the spectator slot and give advice, but nothing can compare with actually being on the ship and talking with them. I know that some other CA's set up a novice match where each of them took a side to keep things even and spent the day helping to teach novices to play, and that was really successful. Personally I'd like to see more of that.

However, I do try to play with randoms in the non-novice matches and help them in any way I can. Usually just advice and opinions. When I captain I always try to explain what we're doing and why, as well as what I'd like the crew to be doing and why.

Overall I find players willing to go to these lengths very helpful, even if it can be difficult at times (some players don't/can't/refuse to communicate).
Having someone actually be in the match and on the ship with you and willing to help is probably the greatest learning tool. Getting advice in the lobby or reading through the forums just isn't the same (although you can still learn from them).

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:39:57 pm »
It is better when the one who gets trained SEEKS training.

Bunch of times have i seen the trainers try really hard to reach out to the captains. But they always never speak back and. Or dont speak english or the same language.

Its mostly because of the feedback coming from the trainers. There is none, because the players dont really seek it.

Offline Oliver Colt

• [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:45:29 pm »
Right, but that's because if they jump in a random ship, chances are ^that will happen. If you announce training as such and say "ok everyone interested join in here" then it should be able to run pretty well.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:21:30 am »
It is better when the one who gets trained SEEKS training.

Bunch of times have i seen the trainers try really hard to reach out to the captains. But they always never speak back and. Or dont speak english or the same language.

Its mostly because of the feedback coming from the trainers. There is none, because the players dont really seek it.
Training captains ment to train new people but that is broken down now so we only give tips and tricks to the ones who ask for it.
I know what you mean that players should seek for training themselfes, but some players are willing to listen are pick up the information.
Saying that there is no feedback is kinda rude of you, for I know we shared alot of information to others who aren't active on the forums.
Most players don't look at the forums and just only play the game, that's why you dont see so much feedback.
The fact that the whole Training Captains events were made a very long time ago also might give you a clue that maybe some players stopped playing after a while and are not seeing this post.
we don't sweat for every one, we only give information to the ones who ask for it.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 02:58:48 am »
Before Novice matches, we just had high levels training people at all sorts of hours. I benefited from it. They'd advertise their lobby as a training lobby and just run with it. Many of the ones who did unfortunately quit. Few of them due to some bad players that would get into the lobbies and make a mess of them. Trolling/etc.

I thought about it but I've had enough share of trolls and bad players to know not to bother unless someone speaks up and asks, or I see they have potential.

I will however, do it if a kick feature was added. Add a kick feature and I'll train folks up no prob.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 03:02:28 am »
Before Novice matches, we just had high levels training people at all sorts of hours. I benefited from it. They'd advertise their lobby as a training lobby and just run with it. Many of the ones who did unfortunately quit. Few of them due to some bad players that would get into the lobbies and make a mess of them. Trolling/etc.

I thought about it but I've had enough share of trolls and bad players to know not to bother unless someone speaks up and asks, or I see they have potential.

I will however, do it if a kick feature was added. Add a kick feature and I'll train folks up no prob.
That however would be the right moment to explain to new players how to report someone to muse.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 05:22:35 am »
Been there done that...they reported me instead and I had to send screenshots in to Muse to prove I wasn't the aggressor.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 05:24:19 am »
Been there done that...they reported me instead and I had to send screenshots in to Muse to prove I wasn't the aggressor.
then we send in shinkurex, he cannot be banned. he only can be blamed.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 07:39:09 pm »
I learned the hard way. Took me the first 100 matches to learn everything I know now.

I would have loved a training captain!