Author Topic: A high level multi-situational pyramidion build, with guide for pilot and crew.  (Read 13500 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Foreword:

The following build requires a well versed and reasonably experienced crew to successfully pull-off; to fully capitalise on all of the ships potential requires practice and full coordination. Operating at close-midrange to long-range it a strong viable counter to sniping ships, and with a good pilot can deal effectively with brawling ships. It demands a great deal from your gunner, you gungineer, your main engineer and yourself.

The build:

Standard: Numerical order, weapon slots 1-4; Hades Light Cannon, Echidna Light Flack, Artemis Light Rocket-Launcher, Beacon Flare-Gun.

Variant 1: Switch the position of the Beacon Flare-Gun and the Artemis Light Rocket-Launcher.
This variant provides a stronger counter against carronades if the enemy has advantage over you, however it puts increased pressure on your main engineer. The standard build is also capable of dealing with the situation this variant provides extra support against.

Variant 2: Replace the Beacon Flare-Gun with another Artemis Light Rocket-Launcher. This enables you to increase your damage out put at the expense of immediate helm control and visibility. It also puts increased pressure on your main engineer.

Loadout:

Pilot: Kerosene, Chute Vent, Phoenix Claw, Pipewrench, Heatsink Clip, or Burst rounds if running Variant 2.

Gunner: Spyglass, Pipewrench, Lesmok Rounds, Burst Rounds, Greased Rounds.

Gungineer: Spyglass, Dyna-Buff Industries Kit, Pipewrench, Chemical Spray, Burst Rounds for expected mid-range engagement, Greased Rounds for expected closer range engagement, Heatsink Rounds for expected closer range engagement against galleons, Lesmok Rounds for expected longer range engagement.

Engineer: Spyglass, Spanner, Mallet, Extinguisher, Burst rounds.
Gunner.

Guide for crew:

Gunner: Your job is to fire the Hades Light Cannon and destroy the hull armour of your opponents. Lesmok is to be used for longer range engagements and against quick moving targets, used only to increase your accuracy, it is desirable to use burst rounds whenever possible at mid to longer range. Due to the arcing nature of the projectile coupled with ship movement, direct hits to opponents hull are difficult to land with perfect consistency. It is very likely that you will strike other components during your volley. Burst rounds allow you to direct increased piercing damage to the armour in the event the projectile strikes a ships component, they also increases the chance for fire-stacks to spread to other components.
Greased rounds increase the rate of fire allowing for higher dps. Most importantly they lower the projectile speed, allowing the volley to reach arming time and deal AoE damage at shorter distances.

If you find your ship in a situation where you are being driven into the floor by an opponent with carronades, it is likely that both engineers are repairing full time and you are either out of arc or within arming distance of your gun. It is your job to jump down to the main deck and shoot out the enemies weapons with the Artemis Light Rocket-Launcher at the nearest opportunity, situation dependent it is also desirable to fire offensive flares at the enemy weapons.

Gungineer: Your job is to keep the baloon and both fore chaser guns buffed and fire-free when in combat. Upon spawn it is desirable to also buff the hull and main engine upon captains request. You should pre-buff both guns and wait behind the gunner until your captain engages, this is when you should finish the buff on the Hades Light Cannon and run back to your Echidna Light Flak. Between engagements pre-buff and spray the guns once again and wait behind the gunner. The captain may request that you help on the main deck during moments of heavy incoming fire. Discuss with your captain which ammunition to bring before a match begins, a general rule of thumb is to bring burst rounds on most maps, and greased rounds which reduce the arming distance of the Echidna Light Flak on cluttered maps such as Paritan Rumble, where you are likely to be engaging at closer ranges. You should empty your first clip on the enemy as soon as you start engaging, it is likely that the gunner has stripped through the opponents hull armour by the time your first reload finishes, allowing you to obliterate the enemy in the hull-break.

Engineer: As on any ship your job is to keep the engines and hull under repair. This build however takes advantage of the Artemis Light Rocket-Launchers wide gun arc to provide a trifecta with the front weapons of the ship. Situation dependent you will be required to shoot at enemy components and hull as much as possible, sometimes it is more desirable to disable your opponents weapons than to repair the ship.

Pilots Guide And Situation Guide Coming Soon
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:20:54 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Salute! Your build puts a lot more responsibility on the crew than most builds I run. It needs more coordination and practice: good when playing with established teams, but not so much in pub matches. But from experience, this is scary if you and your crew know what you are doing. And I know you do Geo.

Offline Oliver Colt

• Salutes: 80
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
I usually use the Hades with the Whirlwind and it seems to work great, but I'll try with the Echidna Light Flack now. The crew I usually keep in the same way you described, except I prefer the balloon gungineer to have a fire extinguisher so he has more time to shoot while the fires stack. [Hashtag irresponsible captain.]

I also have the Flare Gun as third gun and keep a Whirlwind as fourth gun because I couldn't decide which gun would be best there, but I'll certainly give the Artemis a try. Thanks for the guide sir!

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
I usually use the Hades with the Whirlwind and it seems to work great, but I'll try with the Echidna Light Flack now. The crew I usually keep in the same way you described, except I prefer the balloon gungineer to have a fire extinguisher so he has more time to shoot while the fires stack. [Hashtag irresponsible captain.]

I also have the Flare Gun as third gun and keep a Whirlwind as fourth gun because I couldn't decide which gun would be best there, but I'll certainly give the Artemis a try. Thanks for the guide sir!

Cool, the problem with running a whirlwind along side with the hades is that you don't have any explosive damage to destroy core health. I could see it working as an amazing ram ship though piercing long distance with hades as you approach then even more with the gattling.

When I finish the section on piloting I'll give a few tips on how to get all 3 guns firing at all times =)

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
I just skimmed the OP so I might have missed if you said it or not, but people manning pyramidion's guns should remember to avoid opening fire with mortars or flak until the target's armor is dead or else anything with just "Hull" damage is kinda useless, again I am not an expert but I recommend the greased rounds because they allow firing a lot of hits in a short time against an exposed hull

Also if you are looking for derps on a 2vs2 I recommend flying a pyramidion with atleast 3 hades so you can shred up armor quickly, then have your team mate fly a Flak Goldfish designed for long range hull damage, ofcourse it isn't very effective but it is very enjoyable if you got 2 ships worth of skilled players looking for something silly to do

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
I just skimmed the OP so I might have missed if you said it or not, but people manning pyramidion's guns should remember to avoid opening fire with mortars or flak until the target's armor is dead or else anything with just "Hull" damage is kinda useless, again I am not an expert but I recommend the greased rounds because they allow firing a lot of hits in a short time against an exposed hull

Actually, a mortar or Flak can usually begin firing immediately, as they can empty at least a few of their shots and complete a reload before the Gatling will shred an enemy hull. This does, of course, depend on the ship you're up against...if you're fighting a Squid or Goldfish, then probably not. If you're up against a Galleon or Pyramidion though you should take those early shots.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Against a junker or galleon I'd go ahead and unload that first full clip along with the gat. Even though the junker doesn't have -that- much more armor than the pyra, the slim hull will cause some misses and numerous components will soak up some damage. In my experience the gatling alone takes about two clips for a junker and galleon (galleon just because there's a lot of hull).

If you're lucky, some of the last hits of the mortar will damage the hull itself, then during the reload you wait until the armor is stripped by the gatling.

Against a pyra, I'd hold off on the shots (depending on how close you are). One clip of the gatling is often enough to take out the armor, then with some ramming it should be well more than enough.

Overall I wouldn't wait until you start seeing red, but right before the hull drops, so the shells are in the air. It's fine if a few of them hit the hull right before the armor goes down, as you can help finish off the armor. If you wait until the armor drops, a good crew can often repair it before you can finish them off.

Speedy gat/mortar and even hades/flak kills takes precise timing. Greased is pretty good on the mortar and gate, as it increases the dps dramatically. I'm not sure if it would function as well on a hades/flak, as it also reduces the range.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
I've found that when fighting ships with 100% armour you have time to unload a full clip of the flak and reload before the hades manages to break through the armour. The one exception is against squids but then their armour goes up and down so quickly tactically I find it easier to fire on them regardless of their armour status.

Overall I wouldn't wait until you start seeing red, but right before the hull drops, so the shells are in the air. It's fine if a few of them hit the hull right before the armor goes down, as you can help finish off the armor. If you wait until the armor drops, a good crew can often repair it before you can finish them off.

A very good tip for good gunning in practice there Thomas! Immediately before armour drops the hull begins emitting a small amount of black smoke,  this is a subtle visual cue that I use to recognise the hull status and begin firing. On an unrelated gunnery note if you see this happen on a beat-up squid lochnagar heavy flak can punch through the hull armour and deal enough core damage to kill them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:46:34 am by GeoRmr »