Author Topic: Canyon Ambush Capture Point  (Read 9998 times)

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Canyon Ambush Capture Point
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:14:32 am »
Hear me out on this. One of the biggest complaints people have about canyon ambush is that nobody goes into the canyons.
One of the biggest complaints about capture point maps is that once a team takes the point they camp out and re-capping can be difficult due to quick respawns and returns to the point.

My idea is to make a capture point map based on canyon ambush where the point moves in a set path through the canyons.

In order to be competitive on the point, you have to enter the canyons. If you hold the point, you must follow it through the canyons to maintain your possession. If you are trying to capture the point, you can learn the patterns of the point moving and set up actual ambushes. The holding team can send out scout ships to peer ahead around corners and through clouds.

This takes the most interesting feature of canyon ambush and makes it the highlight of the map, instead of being an area one team passes through while the other team camps. It also takes the boring side of a CP map, sitting on a point and waiting for an enemy/waiting to respawn to charge in at an entrenched opponent to die again, and turns it into a tense trail through the canyons with everyone keeping all eyes out for ambushing ships.

The biggest downside I see is having to code in a moving point and making sure the size of the point area was appropriate.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The more I considered it the more excited I got about it.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Canyon Ambush Capture Point
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:30:14 am »
Well, to be a bit contrary, the notion that no one ever goes into the Canyon, imho, is a bit overblown.

That having been said, this does sound somewhat intriguing, would be interesting to test something like it out.

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:35:04 am »
I'll say that I'm not a person who avoids the canyons: it's actually my favorite map, but running a moving CP on it would fit the map perfectly and would address the concerns of those who do see a problem :)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:56:45 am »
Do this.

I also agree with redria. I love flying around amongst the clouds and rock walls. 'Galleon Surprise!' is so much fun there.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:06:12 pm »
One thing that concerns me are the little nooks and crannies of that map where a cunning captain can invisibly block a capture point. Back in the old days On Desert Scrap there were a few places you could hide a squid so that the game would consider it "on point" but the other team could not see it from the real point. Canyon ambush is a much more complex map with many more crevasses to exploit.

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 12:22:48 pm »
One thing that concerns me are the little nooks and crannies of that map where a cunning captain can invisibly block a capture point. Back in the old days On Desert Scrap there were a few places you could hide a squid so that the game would consider it "on point" but the other team could not see it from the real point. Canyon ambush is a much more complex map with many more crevasses to exploit.

Hamster, yes, you have an extremely valid point. However, this would almost entirely be taken care of by the point moving. Even an excellent pilot wouldn't be able to hold the point from a hidden position for more than 10-15 seconds before it left them behind. The point being on the move requires that the holding team has to keep up with it. If they let it gt too far ahead, they risk losing it.

But yes, a lot of care would have to be taken in setting up the point boundaries and flight path to try to minimize the spots where the point could be held while hidden. Heck, maybe the point boundaries could even change depending on where the point is on the map. If the point shrinks as you go through a tight spot in the canyon, the attacking team would know that either the holding team would be off the point, or there would be a perfect ambush location.

Imagine the power of mines for the attacking team. Create a wall of mines ahead of the holding team and you force them to either tank the damage, or find a route around the mines to catch back up to the point. I am also envisioning a squid doing moonshine powered strafing runs, popping balloons and setting everything on fire for a couple passes before a sweeper ship rolls through at low altitude and wipes out the disabled holding team.

Err... And since I just looked a little deeper, despite the fact that I have not seen this suggested anywhere else, I will apologize to whoever is about to be frustrated with *yet another* map idea thread.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:42:30 pm by redria »

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:07:56 pm »
Sounds fun :3

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 05:23:47 pm »
Think this idea was brought out back when they added Labyrinth. Canyon just seemed like it would be a perfect CP map. I agree. Not enough of Canyons gets used. There is one entire section of the map no one goes into. Just one huge mass of clouds.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 05:37:17 pm »
I think hiding and waiting for the point to come to you would be a perfectly valid strategy in Canyon 'Ambush'.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 08:19:34 pm »
I think the map design could be improved a little. More rock pillars and other things to run into/ Hide behind.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 01:58:35 am »
less open space please...

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:55 am »
If a CP version was made, it seems like there would need to be more of the map grid utilized as well, as the map for canyon ambush utilizes only 15 of the 25 grid squares, opening up possibilities for more canyons and a larger expanse while still having some open areas...
anyways, A CP version with a moving point would be amazing for a mining spree, and have beautiful explosions and many flames come as a result...
Teehee fire...

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:55 am »
I would approve of this concept as long as, for bonus points, a cave system was added. Having to chase the capture point through a massive dark cave (lit only by a small area around the ship, a large area around the capture point, or beacons would make this perfect. Of course, there would still be the normal canyon walls themselves to navigate through when it's not in the cave, but I just really want a cave, and chasing a capture point through such a system would just make this all sorts of fun.

Offline Allien'

• Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 11:20:41 am »
Sounds good. I think it Will be both fun and challenging, but I can see extremely long matches, (specialy with good pilots on both sides) and some people rage quitting.
Still I would Like to try that out :3

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 12:11:24 pm »
I love this idea. So. Damned. Much.