Author Topic: A bunch of simple tweaks and ideas (and some not so simple ones)  (Read 13458 times)

Offline zibbazabba

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
A bunch of simple tweaks and ideas (and some not so simple ones)
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:18:40 pm »
There doesn't seem to be a general "suggestion" thread, and most of these I'm assuming I'm just adding my voice to the choir.

HUD:
Could you add a bit more contrast to the component damage icons? For a more complicated suggestion, maybe make an actual static HUD for the engineer that shows the component damage. A cool-idea-but-never-going-to-happen would be to add a row of off/amber/red lights to the helm for the captain instead of icons. I know you're supposed to look around to see whats broken, but it's a bit counter intuitive when you have to look down at something dark to see whats broken instead of at the entire ship.

Commands:
I don't use a mic, and the audibles are awesomely intuitive! Could you add a few more, like "Aye/No" or "Hold!/Fire!" "Aye/No" could even be quick responses once someone uses an audible. Again, a cool-idea-but-never-going-to-happen could be to add flags to your ship for ship-to-ship communication, even if it was just showing the f1-f3 commands to the other ship

Helm:
Sometimes the helm interactive is too small, so if I have to jump off and back on quickly I don't get the prompt and sidestep off the ship, I seem to get the same thing if I'm too close/inside the guns.

priority for helm/guns:
It may have been a glitch because we weren't able to reproduce it, but as a pilot, when my engineer was using the helm I was able to take it from them, and when I was using the guns, my gunner was able to take it from me, If this isn't a thing, it should be.

Rangefinder: Am I supposed to be able to use the rangefinder while piloting a ship? It's been 50/50 on if it does or doesn't work while on the wheel. I know it only works with spotted ships so I know that's not the problem.

I love the sound/music! Especially the quiet at the beginning of a match when everyone is running to their posts. In the same way there is a different sound with engines in forward and reverse, could you add a start-up sputter from off to on? Hearing the sound of other ships would be awesome as well.

Very interesting way of handling joining games, where you're in game immediately and then load in assets over the next few seconds

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: A bunch of simple tweaks and ideas (and some not so simple ones)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 03:03:41 am »
For the priority thing.
Thats a feature.
There are alot of situations where newer players do sth which can cripple the ship so they implemented this so the right person can do the right thing at the right moment.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:06:46 am »
isn't there a possibillity to make a pewdiepie sounpack?
i bet you can sell that one for €0,50

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 03:08:46 am »
As far as I know, the Captain of the ship (top slot) can boot people off the helm but that is about it for mechanics.  The rest is up good captaining skills to get crew where you want them.  As far as people booting you off guns, its usually a lag thing where you and your crewmate jump on a gun at the same time.

Offline Mepic Von Shreck

• Salutes: 11
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • Shrek
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:09:52 am »

You just made me a little bit sick.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 03:49:43 am »

You just made me a little bit sick.
Or make a DEV soundpack that include alot of developpers and sell it for €1,00

something for you to think of.
including:
Keyvias.
Morby.
Bubbles.
and that guy who made those cute little tank things on the bottom of paritan rumble.

Offline Bberry

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:58 pm »
Hello Forums,
It would be cool if the message tag colors would have a higher contrast against the background palette you have.
The muted down red and blue is really hard to follow sometimes. Maybe having them similar to, but not necessarily, cyan, magenta, yellow.

Also, I noticed that only 1 "hat" can be dyed. I forgot the name, but it's a male hairstyle. I feel like any hairstyle/cuts should
be dyeable. It's more fair and more fun :p

Another thing that would be, at least in my opinion, something more helpful is make a better distinction for voice chat.
Sometimes, it is hard to know if your friend and crewmate is talking in crew chat or in party chat.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 01:43:48 am »
Another thing that would be, at least in my opinion, something more helpful is make a better distinction for voice chat.
Sometimes, it is hard to know if your friend and crewmate is talking in crew chat or in party chat.
Seconded.

One useful Improvement would also to assign a priority speaker mechanic allowing for captains to talk over their crews more easily, by lowering the volume of the others who are speaking (i.e. an engineer and a gunner arguing about the benefits of buffing a Hwacha.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 01:55:38 am »
Seconded.

One useful Improvement would also to assign a priority speaker mechanic allowing for captains to talk over their crews more easily, by lowering the volume of the others who are speaking (i.e. an engineer and a gunner arguing about the benefits of buffing a Hwacha.
Why would you lower that?  That's conversation gold!

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 10:45:18 am »

Coloured voice chat names on the left side (depending on party/crew/captain chat) might be helpful. But lowering your crews talking ... sorry, but I have to agree with Ramjam on that.

A cool-idea-but-never-going-to-happen would be to add a row of off/amber/red lights to the helm for the captain instead of icons.

That's actually a nice idea, to give the pilot a bit more of a field of view to look around and still keep it authentic to get a look at damaged components.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 02:29:41 pm »
Ehh, Say you have a ship full of newbies with mics arguing about who's going to buff the theoretical  Flare gun, captain needs to give orders (maybe a separate crew-chat button for priority speaking (such as V))

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 02:41:02 pm »
I think you have bigger issues if you require the captain's chat to be louder than everyone else. It'll make more people turn off voice rather than use it.

I only use party chat while in spectator due to the confusing nature it presents for anything else. Any differentiation would help.

I never liked the idea of static icons for damaged components. I get to still look around and not have to focus on one spot to see if my engines are damaged.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 03:38:08 pm »
Ehh, Say you have a ship full of newbies with mics arguing about who's going to buff the theoretical  Flare gun, captain needs to give orders (maybe a separate crew-chat button for priority speaking (such as V))

I'm sorry, but that's a problem within the players, not the game itself I think.

Offline Bberry

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 12:34:29 am »
What I was going for with the mic hierarchy was not necessarily volume diminished, but maybe the name tags can change? Like size or position, etc...

Idk, again this is a thought :)

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 03:20:29 am »
Well, maybe an echo reduction mode, where when you talk, at your end, your crew mate's volume goes down, to allow for you to speak without having to deal with as much echo...?