Author Topic: Lobbies of Icarus online  (Read 37996 times)

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Lobbies of Icarus online
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:35:26 pm »

Just a little something I cooked up in 5 minutes. Guns community do your thing and create your own :)

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Lobbies of Icarus online
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:41:37 pm »
Is it wrong that i sometimes enjoy the lobbies more haha :P

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:14:01 am »
Nope, not at all.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 12:17:19 am »
They need to nerf "X" to talk though.  That thing is way too OP.

Offline Menealata

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 07:45:32 am »
This is great!

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 08:41:57 am »
I do really love this - it goes to show just what good communication can do for you. Throws a pie in the face for all those people pestering you to "ready up" :P

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 08:49:37 pm »
I'm sorry if I'm being a bit dense.. What are you trying to say with OP image?

Offline TheSovietKlondikeBar

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 3
    • [DEC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 09:36:33 pm »

Taking the extra time to make sure your crew, ship, and of course yourself are having all the right loadouts necessary and prepping them on how the Captain would prefer them to act onboard beats people who just rush the ready up without any preparations just to play the game quickly (and I guess lose quickly).

THIS IS GAME OF SYNERGY PEOPLE. NOT ZERG RUSHING IN LOBBIES.

Synergy takes time.

Offline zoffmode

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 11:37:33 pm »

Taking the extra time to make sure your crew, ship, and of course yourself are having all the right loadouts necessary and prepping them on how the Captain would prefer them to act onboard beats people who just rush the ready up without any preparations just to play the game quickly (and I guess lose quickly).

THIS IS GAME OF SYNERGY PEOPLE. NOT ZERG RUSHING IN LOBBIES.

Synergy takes time.

OP's picture still comes off more as how better experienced captains (lvl 7 and 13 lvl) and crew pwn the less experienced ones (lvl 2 and 4 lvl).

You can't really plan all that long or all that well if you're relatively new to the game. So it's pretty much an empty advice.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:41:58 pm by zoffmode »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 02:44:52 am »
So, experienced captains beat inexperienced captains. Ship loadouts are also very important- at close range a junker has a very clear advantage over a pyramidion. News at 11.

That being said, you don't need thousands of matches and dozens of achievements under your belt to understand how to play the game- I've played a fair bit, and around 60% of what I know about playing the game I learned in the first three days of playing, by reading guides on the forums (steam guides are entertaining, but outdated). The other 30% I learned a few weeks in by pestering more experienced players (special thanks to my senior ducks, especially sunderland for parkour tips). A lot of newer players I've seen have been deaf and mute, which is kind of depressing :( There's so much awesome information out there, and most veterans are perfectly willing to answer questions.

Offline zoffmode

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 03:27:25 am »
So, experienced captains beat inexperienced captains. Ship loadouts are also very important- at close range a junker has a very clear advantage over a pyramidion. News at 11.

That being said, you don't need thousands of matches and dozens of achievements under your belt to understand how to play the game- I've played a fair bit, and around 60% of what I know about playing the game I learned in the first three days of playing, by reading guides on the forums (steam guides are entertaining, but outdated). The other 30% I learned a few weeks in by pestering more experienced players (special thanks to my senior ducks, especially sunderland for parkour tips). A lot of newer players I've seen have been deaf and mute, which is kind of depressing :( There's so much awesome information out there, and most veterans are perfectly willing to answer questions.
That is true. Yet I take an example from my own self. I know all loadouts on an engineer, and I honestly don't care what they bring (I mean DynaBuff&Pipe vs Mallet/Spanner or Extinguisher vs Spray and not some other crazy loadouts). There are sometimes times I want to be sure that gunners got Incendiary, Burst, Heatsink or Lesmok to go with certain weapons, but it still doesn't happen that often and is pretty fast to check or comment. I can't kick players off my ship, so I'm not gonna scream into mic for half an hour like some captains do in lobbies for players to be responsive.

I'll check if my crew got Spyglasses, which they usually do. Takes about 10 seconds. Checking enemy and allied ship loadouts takes another 10 seconds. If I'll be so inclined, another 10 seconds to check other captains' skill loadouts.

Then I can quickly explain the ship attack strategy, which is usually something simple like we'll use broadside guns for close combat, or attack the balloon, etc. Gunner will go there and Enginner there. But then again, I still can't kick players if they're clueless, so it doesn't matter to check if they're responsive. I'll have to repeat all that over again at the actual start of the match anyway. And usually there's no super masterplan anyway, just shoot guns that are pointed towards the enemy. If something else comes up, I can say it during the match.

My ship loadouts are already all set predetermined in different configurations from my practice mode. I don't see why you'd want to change all your guns right before a match unless it was a gunner request, etc. Rarely happens, but alright, that can take a minute.

So, what I don't get here... why do some captains take over 10 minutes to actually ready up under the guise of planning? They're not invading a country or playing with people who will be particularly responsive to their super ingenious plan (trust me, the smarter your plan sounds in your head, the harder it will be to execute with players you are pugging with).

The only reason I can see is if someone is WANTED and doesn't want to fly on non-optimized ship... or otherwise a captain that just hates to lose so much that he'll ragequit before start of the match if not everything is up to his control issues. Which is okay for a person to have, but it shouldn't be an advice.

The picture is pretty much geared towards me since I usually want to get that match going because I want to play. Yet it falls on relatively unresponsive ears. I can even take AI crew unless it's a scary match. What I am missing here so much that I must want to do?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:49:08 am by zoffmode »

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 05:49:12 am »
i would just like to point out that the more you play the game and the better you get the more you like to win and optimize your builds, then when you come up against a high level team it comes down to the little things such as lets say for instance to meta mideons, both captains are the same level and skill but one takes time to optimise the crews loadouts so he can have top engineer bring a buff kit so his gat and mortor now do more damage and he has both them bring greased rounds because its going to be close range,,, and he wins that engagement 9/10 you just have to look at the wolfpack to now how devestating a well built pyra and its crew are them guys are at the top level for that sort of play,

all the top clans prepare and spend countless hours on builds and map postion and weakness and strength of the ships respectivly, the more you are exposed to this level of play the more habits you pick up on then you will understand the frustration when you want to implement your new found knowledge only to find out or my gunner wants to bring what ever he wants because no one has ever told him that the person at the helm runs the ship, so the concept it strange added on to that the consitent READY UP OMG!!!! READY UP and you become frustrated very quickly and forget about the idea,

one of the core strengths of the community is outlined in ''lobbies of icarus'' everyone knows everyone you make friends have a bit of banter and friendly rivals and it makes the game more intresting and more enjoyable in my oppion for the sake off a few minutes to prep in what could last upto 10-15 minutes of game play is a very little ask, for such how do you think people form and join clans outside of there real life friends they talk to people get to know them listen and learn,

yes this meme might be a bit of an in joke for people who have stuck with the game a few month but am sure after a while you well become the norm to wait a few minutes in lobbies :)

Offline zoffmode

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 06:11:56 am »
i would just like to point out that the more you play the game and the better you get the more you like to win and optimize your builds, then when you come up against a high level team it comes down to the little things such as lets say for instance to meta mideons, both captains are the same level and skill but one takes time to optimise the crews loadouts so he can have top engineer bring a buff kit so his gat and mortor now do more damage and he has both them bring greased rounds because its going to be close range,,, and he wins that engagement 9/10 you just have to look at the wolfpack to now how devestating a well built pyra and its crew are them guys are at the top level for that sort of play,

all the top clans prepare and spend countless hours on builds and map postion and weakness and strength of the ships respectivly, the more you are exposed to this level of play the more habits you pick up on then you will understand the frustration when you want to implement your new found knowledge only to find out or my gunner wants to bring what ever he wants because no one has ever told him that the person at the helm runs the ship, so the concept it strange added on to that the consitent READY UP OMG!!!! READY UP and you become frustrated very quickly and forget about the idea,

one of the core strengths of the community is outlined in ''lobbies of icarus'' everyone knows everyone you make friends have a bit of banter and friendly rivals and it makes the game more intresting and more enjoyable in my oppion for the sake off a few minutes to prep in what could last upto 10-15 minutes of game play is a very little ask, for such how do you think people form and join clans outside of there real life friends they talk to people get to know them listen and learn,

yes this meme might be a bit of an in joke for people who have stuck with the game a few month but am sure after a while you well become the norm to wait a few minutes in lobbies :),
That happens in every sport, competition, game - the more experience you have, the more little tricks you have that you can fiddle with. But are they really important in a non-serious match? I've played competitive tournaments in other games, and I agree that it makes sense there. Yet in pubs where you can't even control who goes on your ship, it might be more useful to relax a little bit. Helpful to do those little optimizations when there's free time and no one is waiting... but if you're holding up the game, you'll just make people leave the match and cause snowball effect of everyone deserting.

Besides, the OP picture is clearly new-ish captains vs veteran ones, so I'm not sure it even illustrates the lesson. Given the same time, veteran captains clearly have more tricks up their sleeves.

I'm all up for friendly banter and talk (it really is quite fun), but 90% of the time when people say to ready up... you should ready up or at least speed up your process.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:14:32 am by zoffmode »

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 06:23:13 am »
i agree people tend to leave rather than wait when people take to long but this is a niche game with a very intergrated community that is small friendly and it has just been passed down it is normal practice to give people time to set up there ship however they want it, especially since the amount captains leave and join diffrent ship can make a diffrence to you to promt a change of ship of your own or build,i.e close range brawlers somone leaves in comes a high level pilot with a sniping build hmm il change haha

but since there is no match filter system yet you are going to get a mixed bag most pub games and may want to make it an easyer ship to run for a lower level crew or the opposite for a more experince one that takes a few minutes, serious games are 9/10 times streamed so you can not hold up the casters and stream so where are people going to perfect techniques if not in public lobbies, also the picture itself is not that one sided it was just the way the match turned out to win 5-1,

Offline swimfan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 08:23:38 am »