Author Topic: Incentivize the training of new players with scrim points  (Read 9040 times)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Incentivize the training of new players with scrim points
« on: December 21, 2013, 01:08:30 am »
I'm on an iPad, so I'll keep this short. As many of you know, we've recently had a surge of new players, due to Pewdiepie's video. I've tried to get some players to do training, but it wasn't working. So I figure the clans need an incentive. What if we allowed clans to get a small amount of scrim points for doing a training session. Obviously we'd need to give less than a full scrimmage, but it seems to me that sportsmanship should be rewarded as well as skill.

Basically, say the ducks hold a training day. In addition to possibly getting new members, new respect, and sharing the love of icarus, now they get points. Helping is a valid way to up your standing.

So, opinions. Would this unbalance the system? Have I screwed it all up? I want feedback! I realize this could be exploited easily, and that's a problem we need to fix. Thoughts?

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Incentivize the training of new players with scrim points
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:12:13 am »
There have already been several pages of discussion about adding participation points to that system in the existing thread.

To your suggestion specifically, if they cared about becoming more involved in the competitive side of the game, they would probably be interested in training. If they're not interested in training, why would they care about points?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:18:09 am by Urz »

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:53:06 am »
i think keon's idea is more based on as CA'S we can answer and help best we can in global and few lobbies but as a community as a whole if their was some incentive for the experienced player base competitive wise to share their knowledge of the game and help as many people as they can maybe with a balanced 3v3 lobby it would be a massive help and its not like they are wasting time which i doubt many would see it like that, also it is a possible recruiting way to bolster clan numbers, sounds like a good idea :),

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:01:37 am »
Oh, points for the team holding the training session, not the one receiving the training.

I don't think the problem is lack of people willing to provide training. Based on past training lobbies I've seen, there's just not a lot of interest from newcomers. The ones who want to become involved in the competitive side of the game tend to join a clan and receive training that way.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 03:36:07 am »
Yeah i don't think many did research before they purchased, unfortunatly haha i think they expect it to be more like CoD lobbies and instantly start and not alot of prep work to the crew or ship am sure in a few weeks time when the game has cooled those who are left would be willing to get some pointers hopfully ether way nice to have the option :) just how to get the word out about training lobbies time i doubt all of them will join and look on the forum hmmm any ideas?

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 01:04:13 pm »
I think clans, teams, players should do this out of free spirit. Also how do you measure training of new players

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »
Dont like this idea to much.
Competetive is one side and shouldnt be mixed with trainings.
Dont take me wrong. I love it when new players are trained and i also do it myself but it shouldnt be connected to competetive play imo.

Offline zoffmode

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 05:29:04 pm »
Speaking as a new player, I don't think training is all that useful unless the player is already a few days into playing the game. It's better to let beginners loose and then drop a few hints down here and there when you see them in action, but without making them feel like they're being trained. Hell, the word training carries work connotations and turns the game more into serious business.

I've played numerous games and I have never seen veterans training newbies all that useful. Clan scene is where all that usually happens, or forums, or guides, or that tips for newbies thread, etc. It's all way better learned when the new player is out looking to better himself by practice and random tidbits of information he can quickly read or ask.

Offline Adrasteia

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 05:47:59 pm »
I would have to disagree, these past several days I've been hopping into beginner lobbies and teaching people- to do this, one needs to be enthusiastic and able to show the new players how much fun it can be.  After showing them the ropes, I always have them add me to their friends list to play again- of those, the majority have me messaged me later, with more questions.  Fact is, I feel this is important for player retention- should we get points for it?  No. It's a bad idea because people less then enthusiastic to help will participate- and it has the possibility of causing new players getting a bad view of things.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 06:56:41 pm »
I would have to disagree, these past several days I've been hopping into beginner lobbies and teaching people- to do this, one needs to be enthusiastic and able to show the new players how much fun it can be.  After showing them the ropes, I always have them add me to their friends list to play again- of those, the majority have me messaged me later, with more questions.  Fact is, I feel this is important for player retention- should we get points for it?  No. It's a bad idea because people less then enthusiastic to help will participate- and it has the possibility of causing new players getting a bad view of things.

So much this. The CA's already have the ability to jump into novice matches for the purposes of helping people. Once they are happy with the game and have a grasp of it, then we should be encouraging them to either join an established clan or form their own. Hell, Overwatch was formed by a bunch of new(ish) players and we went on within weeks of forming to win the Flotsam Dynasty campaign.

As much as I like the idea in theory, the competitive scene isn't the best place to start new players. Of course,nothing stops any of us from jumping off our ships and out of our comfort zones to new players ships in public lobbies...

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 02:59:16 am »

So much this. The CA's already have the ability to jump into novice matches for the purposes of helping people. Once they are happy with the game and have a grasp of it, then we should be encouraging them to either join an established clan or form their own. Hell, Overwatch was formed by a bunch of new(ish) players and we went on within weeks of forming to win the Flotsam Dynasty campaign.

As much as I like the idea in theory, the competitive scene isn't the best place to start new players. Of course,nothing stops any of us from jumping off our ships and out of our comfort zones to new players ships in public lobbies...

i also had the option to join new player matches but i chose only to help. I'm not gonna ask people to join my clan because you dont know if new players actually keep playing the game. I dislike it alot when CA's or others use this ability for their own profit to get new clanmembers. If people wish to join your clan, they will ask you and not the other way around. ofcourse everyone with this ability should know their responsibility and that they behave as adults instead of little kids. being able to get into new player games means that people see you as a trustable veteran player or CA who use this ability to help others.

Also i support Adrasteia when she says that we only want to show them the ropes so they can enjoy the game more. Also as veteran player, answering questions of new players is a great way to stimulate new players to try out new things and keep the game exciting.

I also see that there arent alot of veteran players or CA's joining new player matches to drop down hints, but I think nobody really realised or has been thinking about it lately. at least adresteia did a great job in helping new players.

ofcourse I always will support GreyT, but there always be CoD todlers in some matches. Just because they have bought the game it doesnt mean that you have to get angry at them and ruin the fun for everyone. just stay calm and help out the ones that ask for it, also the block button comes in handy to reduce the squeking noises of anoying little kids. I think that new players should be reffered to a list of Clans of which they can choose out and let them decide what clan they want to join. ofcourse you dont have to tell them that your clan is the best because every clan has its ups and downs.

i would gladly ask if there could be made a new part on the forums called "Clans". the use of this new part of the forum will allow Clans to write in their information and sign-up page. using the docks is great but i see alot of new topics pushing down everyones clan topic, this way some clans wont get seen and get less players.

I would also ask every clan to make a Clan video, showing what your clan is about and other information such as prefferable timezones and prefferable fighting style (ofcourse fighting style is different with each player). after everybody made their video i would gladly ask someone of muse to somehow use this on the forums so people can look at the video and make sure they are joining a clan that seems to be the best choice for them.
I know that brick did some clan interviews, we could also use those.

I hope these ideas and information was usefull for further use.