Author Topic: Integrated website chat  (Read 11080 times)

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
Integrated website chat
« on: December 16, 2013, 11:59:11 pm »
I suggested this earlier this year but it never gained much traction. I'd still like to see this implemented, so I'm re-posting.

I propose a chat integrated into the forums. It could be Flash or IRC or AJAX based, or if possible (and everyone's dream), integrated with the Guns Of Icarus client chat. Ultimately it would not require separate log-in from members of the forum (IRC requires sign-up).

Why? It gives everyone a (official) place to lurk and hang out in real-time, as opposed to using the forums or having to keep the game client open (even if we do, that chat is still pretty crap) which is impossible for some people (eg. mobile users).

Why would we not create our own IRC channels or create a group on Steam etc? People prefer an official place to go. It would have a link in the header of the forum. Staff would be encouraged to sit in there when possible, possibly to offer real-time support if they choose to.

Before you go saying that it'd be hard to implement: no. No it isn't. I have plenty of experience with forums and integrating chat systems into them. There are SMF modules for chats you can just dump in. Have a search: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=chat It literally takes 5 minutes.

I'd appreciate input from everyone, especially the staff.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:00:49 am by Jazzza »

Offline Zyem

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Re: Integrated website chat
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:06:55 am »
I've actually sent in a suggestion to have an IRC gateway to the in-game chat (or enough information to program a bitlbee plugin).

As I'm now a CA, I keep GOIO open to keep an eye out for people to help, even though I'm not playing. However, as you said, the in-game chat lacks a lot. For example, timestamps (I have no idea how long ago the question was posted), logs, out-of-game notifications (PMs, name mentions) etc. Also, GOIO is fairly heavy, maxing out a CPU core, keeping my GPU running because of 3D backgrounds..

I haven't heard back yet though, probably due to the holidays coming up.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:44:44 pm »
Can we get an update on the irc gateway?

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:25:48 am »
... just wanted to say.
Nice idea, but how would you make sure people wont troll on it and do wrong stuff with it?

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 01:48:44 am »
... just wanted to say.
Nice idea, but how would you make sure people wont troll on it and do wrong stuff with it?

How do you do that for the in-game chat?

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 02:30:32 am »
... just wanted to say.

How do you do that for the in-game chat?
you block/report people in-game. But you can't block people on a chat, maybe silence or report.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:36:08 am »
I support this idea and would like to see an IRC channel beeing hooked with the ingame global chat.

you block/report people in-game. But you can't block people on a chat, maybe silence or report.
Of course you can.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 03:15:19 am »
I support this idea and would like to see an IRC channel beeing hooked with the ingame global chat.

Of course you can.
You have to show me how to do that.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:04:51 am »
there are various IRC services which extend the functionality of IRC servers.
I haven't been on a single irc server within the last decade which didn't offer a proper Channel moderation service and a command to ignore certain users.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:48 am »
People still use IRC in this century? =P

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:30:55 am »
Pretty much every client has a /ignore command, including the web-based ones. And yes, IRC has exactly the same appeal as using GOI chat, except that you don't need GOI running and eating cpu/ram while you're chatting, and you also get better moderation tools.

It would be nice to have a bot with weapon/ship stats, for example. The ability to comfortably PM people is great. Automatic flood protection is great. There are certainly other things I can't think of right now. Basically, giving us an irc channel would let the CA mods things do their jobs better/easier, while letting muse focus on improving other parts of the game.

For an example of how to do it, check out http://forums.wolfire.com (the devs of lugaru, overgrowth, humble bundle, etc.) and their irc website chat.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:37:10 am by Omniraptor »

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 04:21:08 am »
People still use IRC in this century? =P

Surprisingly yes. The only alternatives are pretty shitty. Although HTML5 brings some new toys to play with.

Offline Oliver Colt

• Salutes: 80
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 11:04:10 am »
Oooh I like this idea but I don't think you should allow me to use it, especially if Jawjee is around :P

Altho now that I think of it we can still just use Skype...

So yeah I don't see any flaws in this idea really xD It sounds very helpful

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 11:19:29 am »
This idea was brought up before, and it's pretty well liked all around. But the biggest issue is actually implementing it. The chat is heavily integrated into the game and not a separate entity. This generally means you have to log into and run the full game, even if you only want to use a small part of it. For this idea to actually be functional, they'd have to completely redo a lot of how the game works and functions.

Currently I don't think it's worth the time or effort, but maybe after co-op and adventure mode (and whatever other big things they have planned) they can take the time to look into this.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 05:47:06 pm »
I would probably use it if it was implemented, but I think it would make global chat less useful.  Currently it is used to communicate with other people in the game to organize matches and talk about other things related to the games they are playing.

Chat from people outside the game would just obfuscate the ability for people in the game to join active games and talk to others playing the game.  It would detract from the primary function of global chat.