Author Topic: Tesla Harmonic Resonance Projector  (Read 8811 times)

Offline Red Dog

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Tesla Harmonic Resonance Projector
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:06:58 am »
An idea I had for a new medium weapon, the Tesla Harmonic Resonance Projector. It would be a medium range weapon, which uses focused sound waves to shake an enemy ship to pieces. "Ammunition" would be a capacitor which would need to recharge when depleted. Damage would be relatively low, requiring the gunner to hold the focal point on target for maximum damage. Graphically the sonic waves could be represented as an area of distortion similar to projectile trails in game already. Rate of fire would be very high, as it is essentially a beam weapon. "Projectile" speed would be very high, as it is literally the speed of sound. Damage type would be piercing and shatter.

The gun itself would look like a large steampunk version of the LRAD.

Offline Oliver Colt

• Salutes: 80
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla Harmonic Resonance Projector
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 01:22:51 am »
Haha this could be really cool if it's well balanced, I like the idea :D Also this gun with incendiary ammo :Q would be awesome. Although I don't see why I'd have piercing damage, I mean perhaps to everyone's ears xD And maybe it'd make sense if using it would cause damage to the gun itself but I don't know much but about this sciency stuff... :P

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:35 am »

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:36:27 am »
"OMG HARMONIC RESONANCE... STARTREK LOLZ." -No one ever.
Anyways, I'm pretty sure you'd want it to do fletchette and shatter damage, as the sound would make the balloon burst due to pressure, and then the guns would go soon after.

Offline Red Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 03:31:13 am »
Haha this could be really cool if it's well balanced, I like the idea :D Also this gun with incendiary ammo :Q would be awesome. Although I don't see why I'd have piercing damage, I mean perhaps to everyone's ears xD And maybe it'd make sense if using it would cause damage to the gun itself but I don't know much but about this sciency stuff... :P

Piercing because the vibrations would pass through the armor.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:48:45 am »
A piercing beam that travels the speed of sound and has no projectile drop, so a merc cannon beam with gattling gun damage, as cool as that sounds i can never see that happening, the sheer fps drop of a continious distoration effect and it is range so the distoration will effect over 350-1000m and the weapon would have to have  to be impact for the shake  so now you have a mine launcher beam weapon with a distoration effect haha, sounds cooler as i type,

Now if you made it a short range weapon think 50-100m and keep the same effect of impact*(for balance) and keep it beam, i can see it being effect to nudge ships out of the way like a mine but only 5-10 impact damage for say a 3 second burst for balance sake, Thoughts?

Offline Red Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 04:07:54 am »
"OMG HARMONIC RESONANCE... STARTREK LOLZ." -No one ever.
Anyways, I'm pretty sure you'd want it to do fletchette and shatter damage, as the sound would make the balloon burst due to pressure, and then the guns would go soon after.

Nikola Tesla did a lot of research with devices to create harmonic resonance in various materials. He created a small pocket sized device that was capable of destroying a building with harmonic resonance, something his neighbors, and the police, were not very happy about. He destroyed the device shortly after testing it.

Excerpt from the New York World Telegram
July 11, 1935

Nikola Tesla revealed that an earthquake which drew police and ambulances to the region of his laboratory at 48 E. Houston St., New York, in 1898, was the result of a little machine he was experimenting with at the time which "you could put in your overcoat pocket."

The bewildered newspapermen pounced upon this as at least one thing they could understand and "the father of modern electricity" told what had happened as follows:

"I was experimenting with vibrations. I had one of my machines going and I wanted to see if I could get it in tune with the vibration of the building. I put it up notch after notch. There was a peculiar cracking sound.

"I asked my assistants where did the sound come from. They did not know. I put the machine up a few more notches. There was a louder cracking sound. I knew I was approaching the vibration of the steel building. I pushed the machine a little higher. "Suddenly all the heavy machinery in the place was flying around. I grabbed a hammer and broke the machine. The building would have been about our ears in another few minutes. Outside in the street there was pandemonium.

"The police and ambulances arrived. I told my assistants to say nothing. We told the police it must have been an earthquake. That's all they ever knew about it."

Some shrewd reporter asked Dr. Tesla at this point what he would need to destroy the Empire State Building and the doctor replied: "Vibration will do anything. It would only be necessary to step up the vibrations of the machine to fit the natural vibration of the building and the building would come crashing down. That's why soldiers break step crossing a bridge."

The sound waves would have little to no effect on the balloon in my opinion. Piercing and Shatter would make more sense, since the vibrations would travel through hull or armor just as easily.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 04:44:29 am »
I can't be the only one that thinks this would only lead to a lot of juvenile jokes.

"Alright who here is an expert with the vibrator gun?!"

*Zuka raises his hand and waves it mightily*

Well, I kinda expected that there...

Zomg, theres a codex entry there just waiting to be filled.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:48:52 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:41:58 am »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~