Author Topic: Ludum Dare 28  (Read 10474 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Ludum Dare 28
« on: December 16, 2013, 02:26:51 pm »
Disclaimer: Not Guns of Icarus related

I missed you all last weekend because I was participating in the 28th Ludum Dare. It is a programming contest where participants try to make a video game around a community selected theme in 48-72 hours. The theme this time was "You Only Get One" there is usually a joke theme as well and this time it was "Justin Bieber".

I decided to make a game about Justin Bieber only having one Vorpal Boomerang, and using it to fight his way through an army of Justin Bieber Zombie clones. Here is the intro text:

He is a Beliber.
Born wild lands of Canada 19 years ago, he is not alone.
There are others like him, some good, some evil.
For almost a decade he has been entertaining fans,
using zombie clones to augment his talent.
He can not die, unless you take his head and with it his power.
In the end, there can be only one.
He is Justin Bieber the Pop Star.

My game runs in the web browser and can be played:
http://www.monkeydev.com/unity/ld28/

The LudumDare entry is:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-28/?action=preview&uid=4265

Here are some shiny Screen shots:

If you have a few minutes give it a play and leave me some feedback. Sorry if this counts as advertizing, I am just that desperate for attention.

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: Ludum Dare 28
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:42:50 pm »
It's pretty cool tbh. I think the player's char should say something when you win a lvl/catch boomerang. Sprees would also be nice.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:43:14 pm »
The first kill you make on a throw give you 100 points, the 2nd gives you 200, and so on. I would have liked to add some flashy particle effects to better demonstrate this, instead of just incrementing score. There was only so much time. The 5 star ranking is only available if you average 3 kills per throw, but it is possible to wipe out the entire level in one throw if you are good enough at dodging your own boomerang.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:45:00 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:20:39 am »
The first kill you make on a throw give you 100 points, the 2nd gives you 200, and so on. I would have liked to add some flashy particle effects to better demonstrate this, instead of just incrementing score. There was only so much time. The 5 star ranking is only available if you average 3 kills per throw, but it is possible to wipe out the entire level in one throw if you are good enough at dodging your own boomerang.

Yea, I managed to get like 7-8 in one throw, after conga-lining them some. Just a small counter on top of the screen saying "This many enemies with last throw" would be nice.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 11:26:52 am »
Since the contest was still running when I got home last night, I added a score based particle effect. Every time an enemy dies it emits 1 particle for every 50 points it gives you. So the first enemy explodes with 2 particles, then 4, then 6 and so on. I could have added a text counter for best throw a lot easier. Unfortunately the contest is over and I am not allowed to change the game. I am keeping your suggestions in mind for the post contest build.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:00:15 pm »
I tried to do Ludem Jam this time, but due to time constraints, family activites, and my partner deleting half my code so that he could rewrite A*, I didn't finish.

Your game is fantastic, Hamster. Though why in the world you would use the Beiber theme... -_-

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 11:36:38 am »
In the past few ludum dares there is a joke theme. Time around it was The Bieber Challenge:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2013/12/12/bieber-challenge/

Making the game Bieber based did not add that much to my development time and added an extra layer of humor.  Also I believe a good game developer can make a good game about any subject.  So making a game about Justin Bieber is my way of showing off my versatility as a game developer.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 06:08:49 pm »
In the past few ludum dares there is a joke theme. Time around it was The Bieber Challenge:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2013/12/12/bieber-challenge/

Making the game Bieber based did not add that much to my development time and added an extra layer of humor.  Also I believe a good game developer can make a good game about any subject.  So making a game about Justin Bieber is my way of showing off my versatility as a game developer.

And that's what I get for not reading the posts. The game is actually great fun, I just played it.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:08:02 am »
hehe, had a blast trying to keep boomerang in the air for as much as possible

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 11:21:42 am »
I'm having way too much fun killing biebers.  I am Bieber, slayer of Biebers.  THERE CAN BE ONLY BIEBER!

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 01:53:36 pm »
Ludum Dare 30 was run last weekend. I did a 3d platformer:

I ended up spending too much time making game mechanics and not enough time doing level design. So there are moving platforms and a wind based gliding mechanic, but only 3 levels to explore. I was going for a metroid style game where you explore a 3d space. You were supposed to acquire tools that would allow you to explore further but never got around to that. Maybe I will work on it later and make a proper game out of it.

What I completed is playable here:http://exosphere.ws/

The ludum dare link is here:http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=4265