Author Topic: Recent attention by the "big" youtubers.  (Read 14086 times)

Offline Tonnyl

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Recent attention by the "big" youtubers.
« on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
I saw some of the bigger let's players play this game a few days ago, and I thought "YES! Finally they found this game out!"

CinnamonToastKen uploaded a few videos of him playing with Pewdiepie, Cryaotic and Minx, so... I suppouse this should bring more people into this game! Now... the issue with an influx of more players is that... ehm... won't actually know how to play from the start. Hope it all goes smoothly though!

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Recent attention by the "big" youtubers.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 11:57:41 am »
It is always interesting to ride these waves of people. I remember one large wave basically overloaded the servers and made match countdowns slow or even stop. I was in a competition that week and for whatever reason we had decided during the 5 second final bit of the countdown we would chant "Zwaene," a prominent member of the competitive scene. We had to do it for nearly a minute as countdown was so slowed.

Good times.

Offline Tonnyl

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 12:00:33 pm »
It is always interesting to ride these waves of people. I remember one large wave basically overloaded the servers and made match countdowns slow or even stop. I was in a competition that week and for whatever reason we had decided during the 5 second final bit of the countdown we would chant "Zwaene," a prominent member of the competitive scene. We had to do it for nearly a minute as countdown was so slowed.

Good times.

I expect this wave to be unusually large though. I mean, one of these guys got 18 million subscribers so far.

Offline Zyem

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 12:07:31 pm »
As a programmer, I have no idea how someone could program a countdown system that allows this to happen unintentionally.

Server says something will happen in X seconds. Client gets the time in X seconds and displays the seconds until that time unless the server cancels it. What am I missing?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 12:14:28 pm »

Good times.

I expect this wave to be unusually large though. I mean, one of these guys got 18 million subscribers so far.
We've had a lot of extremely prominent youtube figures cover the game. Much of the TGS (now Polaris) crew played the game and made some videos, we had Hey Ash guys play a lot, itmeJP did a video... but sadly most of these guys only do one video for the game. Ah well.

The point is I think most of the vets are used to large swings of people getting into the game for a couple of weeks at a time :)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 12:24:03 pm »
Zwaene Zwaene Zwaene :D good times.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 12:28:30 pm »
As a programmer, I have no idea how someone could program a countdown system that allows this to happen unintentionally.

Server says something will happen in X seconds. Client gets the time in X seconds and displays the seconds until that time unless the server cancels it. What am I missing?

It's a hardware thing.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:42:50 pm »

Good times.

We've had a lot of extremely prominent youtube figures cover the game. Much of the TGS (now Polaris) crew played the game and made some videos, we had Hey Ash guys play a lot, itmeJP did a video... but sadly most of these guys only do one video for the game. Ah well.

The point is I think most of the vets are used to large swings of people getting into the game for a couple of weeks at a time :)

ASH PLAYED GUNS? WHERE IS THIS VIDEO?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 01:22:20 pm »

Good times.

ASH PLAYED GUNS? WHERE IS THIS VIDEO?
Most of it was streamed so I'm not sure if they have anything on youtube about it (HeyAsh is actually how I found and got into the game in the first place). It was done basically a year ago, here's one with them playing against Muse folks http://www.twitch.tv/heyashtwitch/b/348378455

Edit: Here's the best video http://www.twitch.tv/heyashtwitch/c/1785073 :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 01:26:20 pm by Imagine »

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 07:41:11 pm »
Batten down the hatches and be on your best behavior for these new players. Let's welcome 'em aboard and show them why GOI is such a fantastic community.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 03:50:31 am »
welcome enjoy your stay, Shinkurex will park your car when you enter the building.
Blame Shinkurex if your car has been damaged while you are experiencing intense fights in the muse royal HeadQuarters, which is located on Partian Rumble.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 04:01:04 am »
Getting a mass of players is one thing, keeping a mass of players is another. Which is what we've seen every time these huge influxes happen.

Just more fresh meat to the mine grinder and my block list as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 07:02:03 am »
welcome enjoy your stay, Shinkurex will park your car when you enter the building.
Blame Shinkurex if your car has been damaged while you are experiencing intense fights in the muse royal HeadQuarters, which is located on Partian Rumble.

you...........:P..... This'll be fun though I love it when Muse gets more publicity :))

Offline Commodore Phoenix

• Salutes: 12
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 01:13:24 pm »
As most of you usually do it anyway can you all make sure you hand out "The dangers of flying with Phoenix" pamphlets.
thank you kindly.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 03:31:19 pm »
As most of you usually do it anyway can you all make sure you hand out "The dangers of flying with Phoenix" pamphlets.
thank you kindly.

Oh it was the danger pamphlet? Uh oh...I've been handing out the "Cuddlebear Phoenix" pamphlets ;D.