Author Topic: Flag communication/identification  (Read 15023 times)

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
Flag communication/identification
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:19:44 am »
Flags were used back in naval combat for communication and identification. Can we please use them with our airships?

Each ship could have a unique flag design and a nice big flag in a visible place on the ship to identify them. It would be cool to see a ship passing through a cloud and have to make out the flag to identify them.

You could signal your allied ships with flags, just like the voice commands. Some commands:
  • We're going to attack
  • We're heavily damaged
  • We need help
  • We're leaving/running away
When you select a command, the flag would appear somewhere on the ship (and the relevant command shown in the chat only to the other captain) maybe only to allies to prevent the enemy from working out your plans.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
Re: Flag communication/identification
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:06:49 am »
Well first of all we got the team colors to identify if it's your enemy or not. We also got the spyglass that let's you spot a ship with it's name (if you didn't already find out because there's only one squid for example in the match and you just saw a squid).
For all the communication, voice chat or text chat are much more efficient, I doubt anyone would look at the flag of another ship to see what they are doing. Also, discussing tactics with the other captain is usually much more efficient than just telling them "we are heavily damaged".

I like the idea of a flag though - but only as one or two small flags per ship as a cosmetic item. Maybe something like that: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1163.msg19254.html#msg19254

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:11 pm »
Well first of all we got the team colors to identify if it's your enemy or not. We also got the spyglass that let's you spot a ship with it's name (if you didn't already find out because there's only one squid for example in the match and you just saw a squid).
For all the communication, voice chat or text chat are much more efficient, I doubt anyone would look at the flag of another ship to see what they are doing. Also, discussing tactics with the other captain is usually much more efficient than just telling them "we are heavily damaged".

My suggestions are more for "realism" or "authenticity" than gameplay. In a real dogfight with airships can you talk to the other ship so easily? No, you have to rely on other means of communication.

What if you can't use voice chat with the other captain? You have to rely on text chat which in the middle of a battle is impossible to use without taking your hands off the steering wheel.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:58:48 pm »
It'd be nifty, but we do have to pick our battles when it comes to realism and gameplay. Would the game become more fun with flags? Would players use them? Would we have to remove systems already in place to make them functional? Would it be worth the time, effort, and money to make such a system?

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:06:40 pm »
It'd be nifty, but we do have to pick our battles when it comes to realism and gameplay. Would the game become more fun with flags? Would players use them? Would we have to remove systems already in place to make them functional? Would it be worth the time, effort, and money to make such a system?

I would think of it similar to the voice command system. You would use another key, or use the same key and add a new sub-menu, which would have 4 directions for each of the command. When you select a new flag command, it would show it visibly on the ship and would notify all teammates/the other captain probably in the text chat.

Having visible flags is a bonus. Voice commands for captain to captain communication would be good for now.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:45:44 pm »
Seeing a white flag on a surrendered ship would be pretty damn cool.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:49:54 pm »

Cool idea! Would they automatically lose the game if both ships surrender, or would that team lose a point (or the other team gain a point) and that ship can then retreat to try again?

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:15:27 am »
Cool idea! Would they automatically lose the game if both ships surrender, or would that team lose a point (or the other team gain a point) and that ship can then retreat to try again?

Surrendering is a current feature in the game: If all ships on a team surrender, they lose.  White flags sound like a good idea, it would give a visual indication that its probably a bit unfair to shoot at that ship so you don't accidentally fire on surrendered ships.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 03:38:03 am »

Surrendering is a current feature in the game: If all ships on a team surrender, they lose.  White flags sound like a good idea, it would give a visual indication that its probably a bit unfair to shoot at that ship so you don't accidentally fire on surrendered ships.

What happens to surrendered ships currently? I've never tried (nor want to) or been in a match when someone does.

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:43:55 am »

What happens to surrendered ships currently? I've never tried (nor want to) or been in a match when someone does.

Nothing. They function as usual and everything, they can still kill you and so on. Only difference is that when the other ship also surrenders, that team loses instantly.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 04:16:22 am »

Nothing. They function as usual and everything, they can still kill you and so on. Only difference is that when the other ship also surrenders, that team loses instantly.

Maybe when the one ship surrenders they actually surrender control of their ship. It goes on autopilot, no-one can man the guns, and you can't be destroyed.

Offline Sylas Firehammer

• Salutes: 2
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 01:09:44 pm »
Interesting idea, but like Thomas brought up, we have to pick if we want more realism or better gameplay. Making one of these flags visible at a distance would be tough if it's not super huge. However if it's super huge, that makes it far less difficult for an enemy to spot you and figure out what you're doing. Plus, in relation to your realism with players talking between ships, there's always radios. Albeit somewhat primitive, radios were still present in the time period.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »

My suggestions are more for "realism" or "authenticity" than gameplay. In a real dogfight with airships can you talk to the other ship so easily? No, you have to rely on other means of communication.

What if you can't use voice chat with the other captain? You have to rely on text chat which in the middle of a battle is impossible to use without taking your hands off the steering wheel.

First off, Muse stated this won't be all about realism. It should authenticat to a certain point, everything else is just too much. Since it's their game I think we should respect their opinion on this.

Also:
Plus, in relation to your realism with players talking between ships, there's always radios. Albeit somewhat primitive, radios were still present in the time period.

It isn't impossible, it just takes some practice. If a game would be that easy to not give you any trouble/challenge you need to figure out or work on your own from time to time it wouldn't be a good game - or a player who also likes cheating.
Also, looking away from the fight and missing important stuff going on is as much a problem as not knowing what your teammate does is. I suggest until using a mic or playing with a crew that knows what to do or figuring out how to write whilst playing ... step away from being a captain, as this post depends on communication.

Sweet!

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 08:37:47 pm »
I suggest until using a mic or playing with a crew that knows what to do or figuring out how to write whilst playing ... step away from being a captain, as this post depends on communication.

Unfortunately not everyone reads these forums, so a lot of people still decide to captain and won't respond to you when you talk to them (I *always* use my mic).

Why can't we just have voice commands for captain-to-captain communication?

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 01:39:34 am »
Why can't we just have voice commands for captain-to-captain communication?

That would be helping quite I lot, I guess, for players without a mic. Bear in mind that it includes the danger of trolls spamming voice commands and the limited possibilites of predefined voice commands in the many situations you will encounter.
Still, voice commands might be at least a help for captains too.