Author Topic: Adding friends sends a request  (Read 10852 times)

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
Adding friends sends a request
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:13:10 am »
At the mo when you add someone to your in-game friends list, it only adds them for you. Not for both of you. This is painful if you've had a great few matches with someone and you want to keep in touch with them and (you guess) they with you, but you don't want to awkwardly ask them to add them to your friends list.

I hardly play so I hardly get people adding me as a friend (waaaaa) so I'm unsure if it does but what if adding someone notifies the other person? That way they can be reminded that they can add the person back.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
Re: Adding friends sends a request
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:00:02 am »
It was once stated that the current friend system has been made the way it is (everyone may add everyone just like that without the added player noticing this) because of a few reasons - and it wasn't intended to be changed.
However, I don't know if the common opinion is still the same.

At the mo when you add someone to your in-game friends list, it only adds them for you. Not for both of you.

Indeed.

This is painful if you've had a great few matches with someone and you want to keep in touch with them and (you guess) they with you

Why? You don't need them to add you back if you want to join them, should both of you be playing at the same time again. That's the good thing about this system: They don't need to approve of you adding them or add you to like playing with you. Some people only add if they played many matches with someone they start liking, others like everyone they once played with and won. It's up to you if want to add someone!

Offline Zyem

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 08:11:46 am »
Some people only add if they played many matches with someone they start liking, others like everyone they once played with and won.
And, of course, some people add people they enjoying flying with or against.

My friends list is so long! I had to clear it out of people who hadn't played in 30+ days the other day. That took a while (mostly due to it jumping around to the top and stuff).

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:20:42 am »
Some people only add if they played many matches with someone they start liking, others like everyone they once played with and won.

That's kinda what I wanted to express with my strange sentences, thanks!

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:53:17 pm »

That's kinda what I wanted to express with my strange sentences, thanks!

Maybe there should be an "enemy" list, too?

Personally I look at this friends system and think it's pretty incomplete or substandard. I'm just too used to basically every other game implementing a better/more common system. Maybe if the GoI system was renamed from "Friends" I wouldn't think about it this way.

Offline Zyem

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 06:44:41 am »
"Enemy" implies you dislike the person.

When I friend someone I enjoyed flying against, I'm not saying "I want to fly against this person", I'm saying "I enjoyed playing GOIO with this person, I want to stal^H^H^H^Hplay with them again".

EDIT: Either on their crew/team or against them. No difference.

You're spot on with the friend system being incomplete. There is a lot of functionality missing (search, sort, group and so on).

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 01:57:51 pm »

Personally I look at this friends system and think it's pretty incomplete or substandard. I'm just too used to basically every other game implementing a better/more common system. Maybe if the GoI system was renamed from "Friends" I wouldn't think about it this way.

Just add them to friends list, works the same way. Sorry but ... do you need a list with a specific name to tell you who to add where?
Instead I'd suggest implementing customizable lists, like 3 lists you may give names to and add people to one of them.

"Enemy" implies you dislike the person.

When I friend someone I enjoyed flying against, I'm not saying "I want to fly against this person", I'm saying "I enjoyed playing GOIO with this person, I want to stal^H^H^H^Hplay with them again".

EDIT: Either on their crew/team or against them. No difference.

You're spot on with the friend system being incomplete. There is a lot of functionality missing (search, sort, group and so on).

Yup, agreed. Search and sort functions are totally missing.