Author Topic: Fog Goggles! Get them Now!  (Read 15263 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Fog Goggles! Get them Now!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 04:24:51 am »
In theory it would only work on the cloud you're in. Normally you can't see anything while inside a cloud, although as you near the edge, enemies can actually see you through it. Then if they pop a flare into it, you still can't see through the cloud (although you can see inside of it); again making it easier to attack from the outside of the cloud.

The goggles would address that by making it easier to attack from within the cloud. Letting you see through it, so you can attack outward. If you're outside the cloud and put the goggles on, you'd just see cloud, as it only helps you look through the cloud you're currently in. You still have to worry about drifting too far towards the edge of the cloud, and flares of course.

Essentially it makes improves the stealth gameplay, making it easier to sneak up on enemies instead of flying blind and hoping they're at the other end. And it'd still be easily countered by the flare gun, or even just hiding in a different cloud.

That is basically my intention for the "fog goggles".  Im always annoyed as i know my ship is out of the cloud i still am blinded.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 10:01:38 pm »
Fog Goggles that help you see through the cloud you're inside of - Balanced by flare guns and the item taking up a captain slot. Its actually do-able I think. Full support for this idea.

Offline Sylas Firehammer

• Salutes: 2
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 02:23:48 pm »
It could definitely have a place in the game if there was a good way to balance it like Grey-Wolf Jack said. It's a sweet idea I'd just like to see some defined parameters as to the abilities and balancing of it as a tool!

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 05:44:21 am »
Basically, whenever you equip the goggles like a Spyglass, the cloud blindness effect is gone.  You should still be able to see some of the cloud you are in.  But if you are at the very edge of a cloud looking into the cloud, you may still see that cloud. It depends. I dont know how the cloud textures work as you get closer.

Putting this on the pilot tool is going to make things thougher for the pilot.

Putting it on Engineer tool is a bit self defeating.

Putting it on gunner tools is actualy most logical but then pilot and engineer will be the most OP with its use.

Have it on the pilot tool, then the gunner just may be very OP with in use. etc etc. (And by OP i mean mostly used by)

Mostly i thought of the idea to take away the blinding effect so you can utilise the cloud you are in. But would be even better on gunners now that i think about it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:45:59 am by Crafeksterty »

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 01:35:06 pm »
Well one way to keep it from getting 'abused' too much would be to not allow it's use while mounted on a gun. So gunners would see fine with it, but as soon as they hop on a gat or such, it's back to being cloudy.

Of course this limits the tool's use to just maneuvering through clouds and sneaking up on enemies, rather than shooting them from within the cloud effectively. A little communication could help them out, but it's difficult to hit what you can't see, especially in a 3 dimensional setting.

Personally I feel that shooting from within a cloud isn't very OP. Most ships have a flare gun on them nowadays, and it's easy enough to pop a flare in there and spot them; possibly messing up their goggle vision? So it may or may not see a ton of use either way, since players are already in the mindset of countering travelling through a cloud.

Offline Sylas Firehammer

• Salutes: 2
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 02:25:11 pm »
That last idea about the flare is really interesting. Perhaps a flare in the cloud would functionally blind people using goggles? I this that could be a good counter to it. This idea is definitely gaining my support.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 02:14:10 am »
I want multicolored flares.
just for disco effect.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 11:59:16 am »
That last idea about the flare is really interesting. Perhaps a flare in the cloud would functionally blind people using goggles? I this that could be a good counter to it. This idea is definitely gaining my support.

The counter is that they are then spottet. Does not need a blinding effect. Also flares allready blind to a degree