Author Topic: Harpoon Research Division  (Read 41331 times)

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Harpoon Research Division
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 01:10:59 pm »
Any more research outings planned? I kinda want in on this...

We'd need at least 4 people on each ship. The AI isn't a bad shot, but with funky maneuvers, like shooting a target that's moving at full speed, it's a little lack luster.

If we have another R&D session, we'd first need at least 4 people who'd be willing to sit around and monitor distances, properties, etc etc of maneuvers. We'd also need a few ideas going into it- any questions that need to be answered through experiments.

If awkm is going to start fixing the harpoon, we might want to wait until that occurs for another trial.

Offline krait

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 05:07:10 pm »
If I'm available at the time such a thing gets scheduled, count me in -- I'll act as an observer, spectator, pilot, gunner, whatever.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 02:30:58 am »
If times coincide with my free time then I'd be willing to join in.

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 05:44:09 am »
Sorry for the necro. Does this thread reflect the current state of the Harpoon? Or have there been any major patches since all this theorycrafting happened?

Thanks!

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 05:45:45 am »
there have been alot of patches but i dont think they changed the harpoon that much.
this is an very old post and i dont know if these guys are picking it up again.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 05:48:27 am »
I still run a harpoon on the front of my junker, it's forward momentum and mass allow we to mess up an enemy captains turning or positioning.  It's also allowed me to plow forward with incredible speed.  It takes coordination with the gunner to make it work, but I've managed to get a few kills with it on duel at dawn by pulling ships into the debris.

Offline ATeddyBear

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 12
    • [HRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 10:02:52 am »
Sorry for the necro. Does this thread reflect the current state of the Harpoon? Or have there been any major patches since all this theorycrafting happened?

Thanks!

Not really. The manuvaures themselves are still valid since the basic mechiances have not changed a ton. The big thing we would need to test is the physic/mass changes to ships. This could change the reel in speed, how well ships can be pulled, do larger ships pull smaller ships better now?, etc.

I would love to do another HRD session, but I have been very busy the last 2 months. Hopefully once things settle down I can setup another one. If someone else wants to setup a time I'll do my best to be there.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 11:24:59 pm »
There's only one thing to change on my post about conclusions and such. The rope will last FOREVER as long as the gunner does not shoot it again. Otherwise, everything seems to act the same. However, the physics was tweaked a little bit so that might affect a few things.

Once my finals are done (In about a week), I'd love to have another session.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 10:23:06 am »
I'm in. How does hanging from a ship work? Can a ship with a popped balloon hang above the ground by 'pooning an enemy?

Offline ATeddyBear

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 12
    • [HRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:30 pm »
There's only one thing to change on my post about conclusions and such. The rope will last FOREVER as long as the gunner does not shoot it again. Otherwise, everything seems to act the same. However, the physics was tweaked a little bit so that might affect a few things.

Rope lasting forever, or what appears to be quiet a while, is very nice. Don't have to worry about losing it half-way through a maneuver. Now if we could get the harpoon winch to be controlled by the gunner and not automatically reel in we could have a lot more predictable maneuvers.

Offline Taukarrie

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 03:46:20 am »
in addition to what has been requested for the harpoon (rope control, rational physics) I would like to see some way for a crew to deal with an attached enemy Harpoon. right now there is nothing one can do to prevent or remove a harpoon. maybe when a harpoon has been stuck on your hull the crew could see some sort of alert similar to when there is a fire. and perhaps one of the engineer tools can remove the harpoon.

the only question there would be where on the ship would one actually apply the tool?

But even if there is no way to remove the harpoon I think it might be a good idea for the crew of a ship to be alerted when a harpoon has struck

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 11:06:39 am »
Muse recently added an audio cue for when you get struck by a harpoon.

Sounds pretty badass.

Offline xxXMLGQUICKSCOPEXxx

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 11:15:18 pm »
Have there been any more changes to the harpoon?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 11:19:13 pm »
Since the last posting on this thread? Yes.

The harpoon used to automatically reel in ships. It now reels in when you right click, but with a weaker pull. It has no use in game

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 11:35:49 pm »
Allegedly Muse is working on changing the Harpoon (hopefully for the better) for the next or so patch. I am excited for this inevitable event.