Author Topic: Range-Finder  (Read 27389 times)

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
Range-Finder
« on: December 09, 2013, 05:11:11 pm »
Here it is, the obligatory Range-Finder thread.

First of all, I really like the idea and I think Muse did a good job on creating a nice model for it. So far, I haven't had enough time with it to form a proper opinion on it though. Therefore I created this topic.

1. How does it work?

2. Does it actually work the way it should?

3. How do I use it correctly and when do I use it?

4. Is it worth bringing it?

5. Who should bring it?

Discuss!

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
Re: Range-Finder
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 05:46:24 pm »
1)  You can find the range of an enemy ship by just pointing at it.  You can then communicate this information to others on your ship via the normal communication channels.  Especially useful for checking the range of yours guns as well as arming distances.  If you are actively looking at an enemy with range-finder while a gunner is also aiming at the same enemy, they will have additional feedback in the aiming reticule to help them lead their shots.  Great for new players trying to figure out leading.

2) Yes, it works.  However, the leading indicators is only a guide.  It's not meant to help you snipe ships from across the entire map.  It's supposed to give you an idea of how much to lead with each gun based on initial velocities of ships.

3) Based on the above, you can decide to use it whenever you feel like you want more information regarding range or help others lead guns.

4) That's up to you.  It will always be better to actually learn leading shots and judge distance by eye.  This tool is only meant to help you learn it but if you allow it to become a crutch then that's one thing you need to bring in your loadout instead of something else.

5) Whoever can spare their normal responsibilities to range-find.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:09:48 pm »
I've only played with it a little bit, but it's an interesting tool. Essentially you can bring it if you're pretty confident in the remaining two members on your ship being able to spot enemies. You can rely on your team mate, but sometimes you can see them where they can't.

It's probably the least essential tool you can bring, especially if you have some good gunners. It's kind of useful for long range sniping builds, but I can see it being useful for knowing the precise moment to start engaging on a close range build. (ie: you're getting closer and need to know the exact moment they're about to be in range. However, most experienced gunners will know this by 'feel')

The only problem I have with it, is that you need to be using for a stretch of time for it to be useful. So only really bring it on a ship where you spend a good deal of time standing around anyways (sniping builds with limited guns to mount?). I was playing around with it on a lumberjack goldfish, and I often found myself neglecting my other duties while trying to use the tool. So be aware of the tunnel vision it promotes.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:34 pm »
It would be more useful if you could left click the ship to mark the range for your crew to see. Right now you have to hold the ship in sight in order to see the range and only the guy with the range finder can see it.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:14 pm »
It would be more useful if you could left click the ship to mark the range for your crew to see. Right now you have to hold the ship in sight in order to see the range and only the guy with the range finder can see it.

I agree, with so many mute players these days this tool is counter productive for teams in pub matches.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 11:28:57 pm »
I really don't think the point of it was for pub games...and regardless of that opinion, it's still a very valuable tool for coordinated teams.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 03:05:26 am »
I have used a bit today. It works really well. My only criticism is that the graphics for it are really rough. It needs a lot more textures, shading, whatever you can do. The whole thing looks unpolished, it really stands out from the rest of the game.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:30:29 am »

What about the range appearing for all players inside the 'spotted' bracket while ever a ship is in sight through the range-finder, no clicking necessary? I prefer less HUD and more communication personally but tunnel vision coupled with mute players could be dangerous in pub games. A visual range indicator would be fairly subtle anyway. I did notice that there appears to be no visual cue that a player is range-finding, they just look like they're standing there, or did I just miss the exact moments they were using it? I'd expect a spyglass kind of animation/stance when in use.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:33:35 am by geggis »

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 06:49:53 am »
I haven't tried it long enough with side angles and difficult aiming situations, but does it actually mark shooting directions when ships are turning and you have a side angle where you need to aim at the air in order to hit the enemy? Also, does it show aiming upwards/downwards angles too, like for a mortar? Because if yes, then it can be quite useful. In all cases I've tried it so far, all it did was putting a circle around the ship I was pointing at, which wasn't really helpful since we all saw the ship itself, and some gunners found it more distracting rather than useful to have a glowing circle around enemies.

Also, it would be cool if the tool could work not only when somebody was looking through it, but let's say, when somebody selected it, because as others above pointed it out, the idle engineer/captain is a rare case, no engi has time to assist a gunner's every shot while the ship is falling apart. At this point, the tool is not really useful for gunners, since you cannot shoot and use the range finder at the same time. (The wild idea occured to me to make this a tool that would work on gunners automatically if a gunner mounts a gun and brings this instead of the spyglass, and everybody could see range and all later on, or maybe just the gunner, but he could communicate it. Could perhaps make gunner class more useful in game.)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 12:05:25 pm »
I think the most effective builds for this tool are long range ones. You usually don't need it's aim assist for close range. As far as I'm aware, it makes a circle that you need to line up with the aiming circle of the weapon. That's to give you an idea of roughly where you need to be to score hits.

I think. The larger the circle, the more off target you seem to be. I'm not sure how small you ideally want it. And it's only helping you aim at the ship someone is using the tool to look at; so if you're trying to hit a different target, just ignore the circle.

I wonder what happens if you get more than one range finder on a ship pointing at different targets?

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 12:42:52 pm »
I think the most effective builds for this tool are long range ones. You usually don't need it's aim assist for close range. As far as I'm aware, it makes a circle that you need to line up with the aiming circle of the weapon. That's to give you an idea of roughly where you need to be to score hits.

I think. The larger the circle, the more off target you seem to be. I'm not sure how small you ideally want it. And it's only helping you aim at the ship someone is using the tool to look at; so if you're trying to hit a different target, just ignore the circle.

I wonder what happens if you get more than one range finder on a ship pointing at different targets?

I think everyone is forgetting the best part of the range finder.  It finds ranges!!!!

If you know the range of your weapon or the arming range of your weapon it could provide a pretty large advantage.  Carronade vs carronade fights shots are often wasted as gunners shoot 1 or 2 rounds before they are in range, with a range finder they'll know exactly when to start firing.  It could also let a lumberjack gunner know when they should switch to lochnagar and when not to etc etc.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 12:44:01 pm »
Also lets not forget that LJ and hades guns are notched so a skilled gunner could know immediately where to place his first shot if the range is called out to them.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 02:02:08 pm »
Yep, we've been working it into our Gent builds, its pretty grand.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 02:12:35 am »
who needs a rangefinder if you have aquamac's girlfriend on a lumberjack.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 02:39:10 am »